1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

BRAND new to me 07 Mini S Convertible...why is it chiming at me?

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2019, 08:48 PM
kcretors
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BRAND new to me 07 Mini S Convertible...why is it chiming at me?

Greetings MIni fans...I am very pleased to be joining you. I have always wanted a mini and today I bought this beautiful blue with black top 2007 Mini Cooper "S" 6 speed with 85k miles on it. I really enjoyed driving for the first time this afternoon...it is fun, quick, and handles like a dream.

I have a couple of questions as I get acquainted with the car. I hope you guys don't mind helping me get up to speed. Here goes:

When I open the door and the key is OUT of the ignition, the car bell is dinging at me. Close the door, stops. Open door, starts again. Key is not in the ignition, lights are not on, passenger door is closed. I have no idea what is triggering the car to alert me for via the ding ding ding. Any ideas on what it might be would be greatly appreciated.

Also, the car only came with 1 key and it is not working. Any suggestions on where to get a spare key and how to get both working? I'll try the obvious and replace the battery ASAP but getting a spare key cut is a priority and I have no idea where to go for that other than the Mini dealership and I am sure it will be expensive.

Old 04-22-2019, 10:47 PM
Fly'n Brick
6th Gear
Received 368 Likes on 312 Posts
Welcome to the 'proper' mode of MINI motoring. After all, topless motoring is motoring at it's best.
Dealership for the key. They need the VIN and proof of ownership; DL and registration. It has to be coded to the car and then there is an 'introduction' process to let the car know it has a new key. Not sure about the alarm.
Some things to be aware of: These are not driven 'em and forget 'em grocery getters. They require more attentive care. Most on the forum subscribe to 5K tire rotation and oil changes. Other fluids 20 to 30 K and check the levels regularly. Best treatment for the canvas is either RaggTopp or 303 protectant. You'll also want to locate a wind deflector, look into ebay for that, stick with the one for the R52 NOT for R57. It is also strongly recommended to check the strut towers for mushrooming then add tower defender plates and replace the plastic coolant expansion tank with a metal one.

I do notice a striking irregularity that must be corrected. That is, the sun is obviously shining and that big ugly black thingie is covering up most of the vehicle.
Only 3 reasons my top goes up. It's raining or snowing, my co-pilot is whinging louder than the SC about being too hot or cold and I can't hear it or some drunks are throwing empty beer cans in the back seat and didn't invite me.

The following 2 users liked this post by Fly'n Brick:
mrwadlo (04-27-2019), usshelena725 (04-23-2019)
Old 04-23-2019, 08:02 AM
ItsmeWayne
6th Gear - An Official NAM Greeter
Received 328 Likes on 309 Posts
Hi and welcome to NAM, Kcretors!
Congrats on your 07 drop top Mini S!
Not sure why it is chiming, but possibly the ignition switch may be causing it to chime and not allow the fob to work.
I hope you really enjoy your Mini and that someone, that owns a drop top, will "chime" in!

Old 04-23-2019, 08:05 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,967 Likes on 1,767 Posts
Welcome, fellow R52 owner here also. Yep, my guess the ignition switch might be making contact internally somehow, there is a sensor ring around and in front of that ignition switch and it might be broken thinking there is a key there?

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 04-23-2019, 09:43 AM
jr_R52
2nd Gear
Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Welcome to NAM and congrats on choosing the best year/model

However am I missing something? "Also, the car only came with 1 key and it is not working."

How do you start the car? What do you mean not working? Do you mean it doesn't lock/unlock the car? The gen 1 keys are recharged when in the ignition and the car running. Could that be your problem? Not sure about why it's chiming though.

Good luck and happy motoring.

Old 04-23-2019, 10:30 AM
miniCPA
5th Gear
Received 145 Likes on 129 Posts
Welcome to the forum and the MINI experience.

As others suggested, the MINI may think the key is still in the ignition, and therefore, your key does not unlock the doors and the chime indicates the key is still in the ignition. (I tested this out this morning to see if mine chimed when the key was in and the door was open - it did not. I suspect I have a broken chimer.

Fellow members: would you recommend blowing air in the key hole in the hope that it is simply some dirt in the wrong place?

Old 04-23-2019, 03:08 PM
kcretors
Neutral
My new drop top is Chiming and Charming

Thanks to all the responses thus far. I have done a bit more testing. Key out of the ignition, drivers door open, CHIMING. Driver Door closed, no chiming. Driver door closed, passenger door opened, NO CHIME. So chimes with the driver's door opened. No idea about the sensor thinking the key is still hanging in the ignition...but that would seem to make total sense to me based on prior car ownership.

1 thought as I was reading stuff...when I first turn on the ignition, the center display says "Oil Service 15350 miles". DONT PANIC...the car had a full service less than 300 miles ago, and I have all the service records going back 10 + years...one of the reasons I really liked this particular unit. Anyway, could it be possible that all I need to do is reset the oil service mileage and then maybe just maybe the chime will go away...in the remote possible event it is trying to tell me to change the oil? Just grasping at straws.

Does anyone know how to set the clock and reset the oil service interval? I have all the books but have not had the opportunity to track down the answer yet...

Old 04-23-2019, 03:25 PM
kcretors
Neutral
I tried to post a photo of my mini with the top down...I'd like it to be associated with my profile like all you guys..could not find the place in editing my profile to include the photo of my car...anyone know how to do that?

Old 04-23-2019, 03:28 PM
kcretors
Neutral
I hear you...but in AZ the sun is so intense when we park we gotta keep the top up or park in the shade. Top has been down since I took delivery yesterday!

Any idea how to get this photo into my profile like yours so it is not so large and obnoxious?

Old 04-23-2019, 09:13 PM
Fly'n Brick
6th Gear
Received 368 Likes on 312 Posts
Re. the service countdown counter. I just ignore it and refer to the odometer. When it shows 5000 or 0000 in the last four slots, it's time to do something.

Old 04-23-2019, 10:17 PM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
Received 120 Likes on 105 Posts
Originally Posted by kcretors
Also, the car only came with 1 key and it is not working. Any suggestions on where to get a spare key and how to get both working? I'll try the obvious and replace the battery ASAP but getting a spare key cut is a priority and I have no idea where to go for that other than the Mini dealership and I am sure it will be expensive.
You've probably discovered by now that the key fob body is sealed. It has a rechargeable battery that wasn't designed to be replaced. With its age, the battery could very well be dead but there's a chance it could still hold a charge. It is inductively charged while key is in the ignition and turned on (i.e. meant to be charged while driving). If you are comfortable with tinkering, it is possible to replace the battery by slicing open the body and replacing the rechargeable battery (which is soldered on) with a new one.

Does anyone know how to set the clock and reset the oil service interval?
For the service interval Google gave this: https://new.minimania.com/Oil_Service_Interval_Reset___02_06_MINI
For the clock, should be in the Owners Manual: https://www.miniusa.com/content/dam/...onvertible.pdf

Old 04-23-2019, 10:51 PM
kcretors
Neutral
Followed your suggestions...clock is set, oil change interval was reset but who goes 15k mikes between services? Fresh oil is cheap and keeps ur eyes on things.

Found a local key guy who said he could cut the blanks and remove the computer from the car and program it for the keys and that he would do two keys for 450 bucks Then I called the dealer and ordered a new key from the factory that should be here by Friday which they will make it work with the car and they only charge me $179 . Dealer option wins hands down on the key replacement front.

next mystery...tire sensor button below parking break...is there any indication anywhere it works? Pressing it does not result in any effect on either display (regardless of key/ignition position

Originally Posted by rkw
You've probably discovered by now that the key fob body is sealed. It has a rechargeable battery that wasn't designed to be replaced. With its age, the battery could very well be dead but there's a chance it could still hold a charge. It is inductively charged while key is in the ignition and turned on (i.e. meant to be charged while driving). If you are comfortable with tinkering, it is possible to replace the battery by slicing open the body and replacing the rechargeable battery (which is soldered on) with a new one.

For the service interval Google gave this: https://new.minimania.com/Oil_Service_Interval_Reset___02_06_MINI
For the clock, should be in the Owners Manual: https://www.miniusa.com/content/dam/...onvertible.pdf

Old 04-24-2019, 12:17 AM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
Received 120 Likes on 105 Posts
next mystery...tire sensor button below parking break...is there any indication anywhere it works? Pressing it does not result in any effect on either display (regardless of key/ignition position
It is to reset a flat tire warning. Page 74 in the Owners Manual pdf. I suggest you quickly flip through the entire manual cover to cover to get your bearings on the car.