1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New member; '07 Cooper S, R56, N14, South Carolina

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2019, 04:47 AM
KHAOS
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New member; '07 Cooper S, R56, N14, South Carolina

Hello,

I just purchased a Mini last week. I have already run into a lot of issues and am slowly resolving them. My first issue was the Hood got stuck and would not open. Took three days but I figured out how to open it with a coat hanger and I did not have to take anything apart. Once I figured out a coat hanger was the best tool to use, it only took me ten minutes to disengage the latches. but...it took me three days, and the purchase of a bunch of tools, to figure out that I could use a coat hanger. LOL

Current Issues?
  • I have a washer fluid leak on the passenger side near the front wheel. I am thinking it has something to do with the headlight washer.
  • Downstream o2 sensor needs to be replaced. But it looks like the previous owner did some weird wiring to it because there is electrical tap wrapped around the connector
  • Sunroof is stuck closed.
  • Clutch Catches high. I was told it was a racing clutch, but I am not too sure about that. Gonna try to change it to a low catch.
  • runs a little rough at times so I think carbon build up cleaned out.
  • A rock was thrown from a dump truck and crack my windshield 2 days ago...but the good news is that it will be replaced for free because in South Carolina there is no deductible for Windshields.
I will be doing the regular maintenance on it to get it up to par. I discovered the n14's are very problematic, but I love challenges. For me, this vehicle is very fun to drive. I am sure I will get frustrated at some of the repairs, but that is part of the fun.

If your Hood gets stuck, and you live near me, bring it by. I will try to open it for you with my super-duper-cloth hanger. I would be interested in seeing if it works on other years and models. I did take some pictures and will post as soon as soon as I figure out how to do it.

Thanks for accepting me, I look forward to learning from ya'll and sharing experiences together.

Rikki

Old 02-26-2019, 06:17 AM
Mineeee
3rd Gear
Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by KHAOS
the good news is that it will be replaced for free because in South Carolina there is no deductible for Windshields.

Rikki
Welcome to the club, where abouts in SC are you?

I think the "free" windshield here applies only if you have full comprehensive insurance.

The following users liked this post:
KHAOS (02-28-2019)
Old 02-26-2019, 08:54 AM
miniCPA
5th Gear
Received 145 Likes on 129 Posts
Welcome to the forum. MINIs certainly do come with their share of challenges. Make sure you post some pictures of the MINI and not just the clothes hanger!

The clothes hanger trick could make an interesting YouTube Video.

Last edited by miniCPA; 02-26-2019 at 09:21 AM.
KHAOS (02-28-2019)
Old 02-26-2019, 09:24 AM
ItsmeWayne
6th Gear - An Official NAM Greeter
Received 328 Likes on 309 Posts
Hi and welcome to the NAM family, Rikki!
Congrats on you Mini buy. Make sure to look at the gen 2 area. It will help you solve problems the N14 seems to have. One thing that I find often with this gen 2 car is the rubber air hose to the turbo, burns and cracks and leaks air, throwing cat codes and poor running. It will get hard an crack by the turbo and may not be visible.
How about some pics?

KHAOS (02-28-2019)
Old 02-27-2019, 05:55 PM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Received 755 Likes on 617 Posts
Welcome from Atlanta, Hope we can help you keep it going.

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | IE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more
KHAOS (02-28-2019)
Old 02-28-2019, 02:37 AM
KHAOS
1st Gear
Put up on ramps so I can get the hood open

Last edited by KHAOS; 02-28-2019 at 03:08 AM. Reason: Think I get it now
Old 02-28-2019, 02:39 AM
KHAOS
1st Gear
Testing to see if i can put up a picture from my phone.

Last edited by KHAOS; 02-28-2019 at 03:05 AM. Reason: Testing photo upload
Old 02-28-2019, 02:44 AM
KHAOS
1st Gear
Hahaha...this is the hanger I used. It's from one of those hangers used for pants and has clips on them. This worked perfect and now lives in my trunk.

Last edited by KHAOS; 02-28-2019 at 03:11 AM. Reason: Learning
Old 02-28-2019, 02:45 AM
KHAOS
1st Gear
In locked position. I looked all over the online to find a image of this think locked becuase I had no clue what I was doing. A picture would have made it easier to figure out the unlock process. So here is a picture of mine...locked.
...I still cant believe that after all the tools I bought to unlock this thing...I did it with a clothe hanger. hahaha. the auto Gods are Cruel

Last edited by KHAOS; 02-28-2019 at 03:30 AM.
Old 02-28-2019, 02:47 AM
KHAOS
1st Gear

I think the auto Gods are messing with me. This popped up.
how are you going to put in a warning light but not have it listed in any manuals? Haha..that makes no sense.
Took me a while to figure this out. Google Fu kicked into overdrive for this one.
...its for the sunroof. :(

Last edited by KHAOS; 02-28-2019 at 03:27 AM.
Old 02-28-2019, 02:55 AM
KHAOS
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Mineeee
Welcome to the club, where abouts in SC are you?

I think the "free" windshield here applies only if you have full comprehensive insurance.
hello,
Yes, You will need full coverage to bypass a deductible.
I am in the Charleston area, you?

Old 02-28-2019, 02:57 AM
KHAOS
1st Gear
Originally Posted by miniCPA
Welcome to the forum. MINIs certainly do come with their share of challenges. Make sure you post some pictures of the MINI and not just the clothes hanger!

The clothes hanger trick could make an interesting YouTube Video.
Hello,
haha....Thank you, I am going to try to video the process. The passenger side should be easy because there is some room. the drivers side will be difficult because of all the hoses that are in the way.

Old 02-28-2019, 02:58 AM
KHAOS
1st Gear
Originally Posted by ItsmeWayne
Hi and welcome to the NAM family, Rikki!
Congrats on you Mini buy. Make sure to look at the gen 2 area. It will help you solve problems the N14 seems to have. One thing that I find often with this gen 2 car is the rubber air hose to the turbo, burns and cracks and leaks air, throwing cat codes and poor running. It will get hard an crack by the turbo and may not be visible.
How about some pics?
hi,
thank you. I a still working on pictures. I am trying to figure out how to do it using my phone. I could not even see where I could a post by phone. I had to log into a computer to reply.
I am going to replace all my hoses. But First I must deal with the bigger issues, like replacing the downstream o2 and trying to find if I have an oil leak. Nothing on the ground...just gunk on the engine.

Old 02-28-2019, 02:59 AM
KHAOS
1st Gear
Originally Posted by WayMotorWorks
Welcome from Atlanta, Hope we can help you keep it going.
Thank you,
I am actually in Atlanta every October for a convention. Maybe I try to go early so I can stop by. Do you have a store front?
Just checked out your site and booked marked it. You will definitely be hearing from me.

Old 02-28-2019, 06:38 AM
Mineeee
3rd Gear
Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts
hello,
Yes, You will need full coverage to bypass a deductible.
I am in the Charleston area, you?
Greenville, Charlestons a bit far to come for the Upstate mini group I guess.

Old 02-28-2019, 06:46 AM
KHAOS
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Mineeee
Greenville, Charlestons a bit far to come for the Upstate mini group I guess.
nah...not too far. Only 4 hrs. I drive a lot....that's the reason I picked up a Mini. My Pathfinder gets 17 mpg and I had to fill it up every 3 days. I have been driving the mini since 02/19...did the initial fill up and have not had to put gas in it yet. still have about 200 miles before I have to put in some gas.

So now...I look for any excuse to drive. I have not done a long trip in the mini yet. longest I have gone is two hours out and two hours back. Just want to make sure I find out all the issues before I do a long trip. Don't want to end up on the side of the road, in the dark, in the middle of nowhere and get eaten by cannibals. lol

thanks for the link. I will check it out. I should probably also look at seeing if there is a group in Charleston. I did not even think about that.

Old 02-28-2019, 12:50 PM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Received 755 Likes on 617 Posts
Thank you,
I am actually in Atlanta every October for a convention. Maybe I try to go early so I can stop by. Do you have a store front?
Just checked out your site and booked marked it. You will definitely be hearing from me.
Yes we are a full service shop so you are welcome to stop in and pick up what you need or bring the car in.

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | IE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more