1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

It's Red and the Red Flags should have been obvious!

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2019, 05:05 PM
MiniUt
1st Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It's Red and the Red Flags should have been obvious!

After so many years of wanting a Mini, i got one!!!!! It wasn't exactly what I was wanting but at least it's a start. I purchased an 07 MCS from a local used car dealership a couple of weeks ago. The only reason the wife let me purchase it was because it was so cheap. Well you get what you pay for. The ad read "salvaged title from National auction, runs and drives, no key, needs bumper." So many red flags, I should have walked away but always up for a good challenge and finally having the approval of the wife I had to go for it. The dealer showed me the national auction house ad that said "runs and drives" they just didn't have a key (which they were totally going off the ad since they didn't have a key to prove it), they said the delivery driver had lost it but were positive it ran and drove. I negotiated down a little bit more and made a deal, I did comment multiple times that if I got a key and it didn't run and drive that I would be coming back for my money. I got the car home and started digging in, I had to register the car in my name in order to order a key from the MINI dealership, at this point I was pretty excited that I had gotten the deal of the century. While I waited for the key I decided to take care of a couple things on the car, there were some cracked ignition coil boots so I replaced those and the spark plugs, I had noticed there was oil on the outside of the plugs, I removed the valve cover, and it was melted inside, which was allowing oil to seep past the gasket (another flag that I brushed off). Ordered a new valve cover and gasket set while I waited for a key. Got the key, and of course it won't turn over, I checked all the plugs for spark, and checked that I was getting fuel, so of course the worst possible scenario, no compression. No compression on 3 cylinders, after reading multiple posts I figured valves were the culprit, but the melted valve cover should have been a clue to something else. I should have stopped and taken the car back for a refund, but I really want a Mini. I am capable (also have Youtube) and willing to do work on the car so I decided that I would do the work and fix it. Actual testing lead me to burnt valves and a blown head gasket, which if I had to guess happened when the car overheated and caused the melting of the valve cover. I am now two weeks into it and waiting for the Head to come back from the machine shop. I have noticed a few other broken parts while I was working on it, Auxiliary Turbo Cooling pump (which is why if think nobody puts turbo timers on these, but I could be wrong) and explains the over heating. Broken Washer fluid tank, and busted intake tube. All parts that I plan to eBay or upgrade, it's been a good learning experience for me and apparently the Machine shop, he just called to tell me that his suppliers don't have the parts and that I should order them and bring them to him, and that he has had to order some new tools, he has never done a MINI cooper head before. (and yes I trust this guy, he comes highly recommended by the local speed shop).

As I have worked on the car I have come up with a whole story on what happened to it (Finding some Carfax data to support the story helped): The car was owned by 4 people, before it ended up being totaled. My theory on the car being totaled is it hit something on the drivers side front, crushing the bumper and breaking the the aux cooling pump and windshield fluid tank. It wasn't a lot or expensive, but the issue is the clear coat is flaking off the hood and a door, so fading in the paint on a new bumper would be impossible and would require them to paint the whole car which caused the car to be totaled.

So there's my story.

Old 02-04-2019, 06:10 PM
SandNsun
1st Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Wow. I want to say congrats and welcome but maybe just a welcome for now? Good luck on the car and keep us posted on the progress w pics!

Old 02-05-2019, 03:57 PM
MiniUt
1st Gear
Here are some pics of the current mess, The first is a quick shot after putting it on stands and getting ready to dive in, which is also pretty much how I bought it form the dealership, no front bumper. Then the melted valve cover and finally where it is currently sitting, except minus the head. That is at the machine shop getting rebuilt.

Old 02-05-2019, 04:00 PM
adrianwongwon
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good luck with your repairs! I wouldn't mind having a project car, I just have no space to work on one...

Old 02-05-2019, 04:34 PM
DneprDave
6th Gear
Received 85 Likes on 77 Posts
As long as you have it apart, will want to put a new timing chain cassette in it as well as that is a weak point with this engine, also a water pump.

Old 02-05-2019, 08:41 PM
ItsmeWayne
6th Gear - An Official NAM Greeter
Received 328 Likes on 309 Posts
Hi and welcome to NAM!
Wow, I hope you got it real cheap, as parts can get spendy! Keep us posted and go to the gen 2 area for help.
Learn about what needs to be done to keep a gen 2 running and driving well!

Old 02-06-2019, 07:19 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,964 Likes on 1,764 Posts
Welcome. sorry to hear this. as people posted above you can build it stronger and replace all those fail things in there while you have it out. Yep that valve cover got hot, but I have seen worse.

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 02-06-2019, 07:55 AM
MiniUt
1st Gear
I had planned to do the timing chain, but hadn't thought about the water pump, I will look into it.

The machine shop called and had to replace all the exhaust valve guides and 4 of the lifters (plus all the seals). He said all the valves look good still and didn't need replaced.

Thanks for the support.

The following users liked this post:
ECSTuning (02-06-2019)
Old 02-08-2019, 06:52 AM
Tgriffithjr
5th Gear
Received 80 Likes on 76 Posts
Welcome! What does the oil look like? Hope the head job fixes the compression.

Old 02-08-2019, 08:51 AM
MWMWMWM
2nd Gear
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
I'm on the other side of the "Hill" and picked up a very similar Mini. I said I'd never own another Red car. LOL

Good luck with the repairs. If you come across a cheat sheet for all the Torque specs, let me know.
On the up side..... unlike other cars, all the parts lying around still doesn't fill up your garage.

Old 02-08-2019, 04:11 PM
MrGrumpy
6th Gear
Received 241 Likes on 207 Posts
Welcome to the forum and congratulations on finally getting yourself a Mini! I had coveted them for years as well, so I can totally understand the desire that overrode the red flags. But you are far enough into it now that hopefully when you put it back together it will be a great car for you. The fun is where it’s at! Keep us posted on your progress, I’ll be following along.
Try this site for torque specs and stuff:
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/r...-general-note/

Old 02-09-2019, 09:36 AM
mini_wisconsin
5th Gear
The car found a good home! I wish you only the best!

Old 02-10-2019, 07:50 AM
MWMWMWM
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by MiniUt
After so many years of wanting a Mini, i got one!!!!! It wasn't exactly what I was wanting but at least it's a start. I purchased an 07 MCS from a local used car dealership a couple of weeks ago. The only reason the wife let me purchase it was because it was so cheap. Well you get what you pay for. The ad read "salvaged title from National auction, runs and drives, no key, needs bumper." So many red flags, I should have walked away but always up for a good challenge and finally having the approval of the wife I had to go for it. The dealer showed me the national auction house ad that said "runs and drives" they just didn't have a key (which they were totally going off the ad since they didn't have a key to prove it), they said the delivery driver had lost it but were positive it ran and drove. I negotiated down a little bit more and made a deal, I did comment multiple times that if I got a key and it didn't run and drive that I would be coming back for my money. I got the car home and started digging in, I had to register the car in my name in order to order a key from the MINI dealership, at this point I was pretty excited that I had gotten the deal of the century. While I waited for the key I decided to take care of a couple things on the car, there were some cracked ignition coil boots so I replaced those and the spark plugs, I had noticed there was oil on the outside of the plugs, I removed the valve cover, and it was melted inside, which was allowing oil to seep past the gasket (another flag that I brushed off). Ordered a new valve cover and gasket set while I waited for a key. Got the key, and of course it won't turn over, I checked all the plugs for spark, and checked that I was getting fuel, so of course the worst possible scenario, no compression. No compression on 3 cylinders, after reading multiple posts I figured valves were the culprit, but the melted valve cover should have been a clue to something else. I should have stopped and taken the car back for a refund, but I really want a Mini. I am capable (also have Youtube) and willing to do work on the car so I decided that I would do the work and fix it. Actual testing lead me to burnt valves and a blown head gasket, which if I had to guess happened when the car overheated and caused the melting of the valve cover. I am now two weeks into it and waiting for the Head to come back from the machine shop. I have noticed a few other broken parts while I was working on it, Auxiliary Turbo Cooling pump (which is why if think nobody puts turbo timers on these, but I could be wrong) and explains the over heating. Broken Washer fluid tank, and busted intake tube. All parts that I plan to eBay or upgrade, it's been a good learning experience for me and apparently the Machine shop, he just called to tell me that his suppliers don't have the parts and that I should order them and bring them to him, and that he has had to order some new tools, he has never done a MINI cooper head before. (and yes I trust this guy, he comes highly recommended by the local speed shop).

As I have worked on the car I have come up with a whole story on what happened to it (Finding some Carfax data to support the story helped): The car was owned by 4 people, before it ended up being totaled. My theory on the car being totaled is it hit something on the drivers side front, crushing the bumper and breaking the the aux cooling pump and windshield fluid tank. It wasn't a lot or expensive, but the issue is the clear coat is flaking off the hood and a door, so fading in the paint on a new bumper would be impossible and would require them to paint the whole car which caused the car to be totaled.

So there's my story.

Did you happen to get your head back from the machine shop yet? I'm curious as to cost.

I wonder if bad aux cooling pump caused the overheating / head gasket / burnt valves?

Old 02-11-2019, 08:21 PM
MiniUt
1st Gear
So far looks like the cost is going to be $350, that was for a cleaning, resurfacing and rebuilding. It needed 8 new exhaust valve guides, 4 of the lifters broke when he was disassembling and new valve seals, his supplier couldn’t get any of the parts so I ordered them for him (about $100). He had to order some new tools to rebuild it and is still waiting on the reamer so he won’t be done till Friday. I did get a new water pump and timing tool so now I can change the chain guides. Hopefully by the time the head is done I should be ready to put it all back together.🤞🏼

Old 02-12-2019, 12:37 PM
MiniUt
1st Gear
I assume the busted pump lead to the over heating, but it's all a guess now.

I haven't gotten the head back yet, should have it back Friday. He had to order a new reamer that was small enough for the head. As of now I think the cost is going to be $350, that was for a cleaning, rebuilding and pressure testing.

I just want to get this thing back together.

Old 02-12-2019, 01:49 PM
MrGrumpy
6th Gear
Received 241 Likes on 207 Posts
Originally Posted by MiniUt
I assume the busted pump lead to the over heating, but it's all a guess now.

I haven't gotten the head back yet, should have it back Friday. He had to order a new reamer that was small enough for the head. As of now I think the cost is going to be $350, that was for a cleaning, rebuilding and pressure testing.

I just want to get this thing back together.
That sounds like a pretty good deal on the head! Right on!

Old 02-12-2019, 05:27 PM
MWMWMWM
2nd Gear
I called a local shop and they wanted 395 just for the walnut blasting / cleaning. Off the car. Luckily my neighbor has a 40# blaster so I'll be doing the cleaning myself. I don't know about you but I'm not real pleased with the honing on my cylinder walls. At 88K my block is looking rather smooth.

My first time diging this far into a motor and expecting to put it back together.

Good luck with reassemble.

Old 02-13-2019, 08:31 AM
DneprDave
6th Gear
Received 85 Likes on 77 Posts
The cylinder walls are supposed to be smooth after eighty eight thousand miles. The cylinders are honed to help seat the rings during break-in.
$395 is reasonable for walnut blasting the intake valves.

The following users liked this post:
MWMWMWM (02-13-2019)
Old 02-21-2019, 10:38 PM
MiniUt
1st Gear
Well.............. It runs!!!!!!!!!

i just finished putting it back together and it fired right up. I was pretty nervous because I am pretty sure that if it didn’t my wife would have probably left me. We set a budget on repair parts and I made it right up to the last cent! Now to get a bumper on it and get it safety and smog passed so I can get some plates for it.

And sneak some of the kids allowance and replace the intake vent hose that snapped on me. Duct tape is holding it now, I figured once she saw that it runs she would be ok with another $40.

Anyway just so stoked, can’t wait to drive it!!!!