1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New member post

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2018, 02:59 PM
Patch09
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New member post

New member, new to minis, but I've learned a bunch in my short time. Purchased a 2009 convertible S for my son earlier this year. She was cosmetically very nice, but mechanically.....a very neglected old girl. Since then, I've pulled the vanos solenoid & check valve and cleaned(full of oil coking), dropped the oil pan, replaced gasket and dumped plastic debris from previous timing chain failure, replaced front crank seal and drive belt, reset timing, installed a GFB BOV (oem unit was ripped), changed plugs and coils,walnut blasted the valves, replaced air filter....and finally replaced all the vacuum lines. When we purchased, it ran but was noisy and throwing codes all over the place..... but was the ONLY car my son was excited about.. Finally after one last tear-down to check and clean the throttle body(poor, erratic idle at times and complete failure to accelerate when poor idle was present), I noticed that one vacuum line from the vacuum reservoir was not installed. Upon further inspection, I realized that it was hard and no longer stayed in place if you bumped it(90 K miles and 10 years old). I put everything back together and finally. No more lag, rough idle, and unpredictable throttle response. She is now a treat to drive and ready for my 16 year old son!

Lessons learned related to repairing a used mini cooper:
1. Always replace plugs and wires when buying a used car with high miles
2. Replace all of the vacuum lines as they are cheap and readily available.Take the time to study the vacuum diagrams on high mileage, older cars...especially with turbo. I had no idea that there was a series switch for the vacuum line and that there was a reservoir near the back/bottom of the car.
3. purchase some sort of diagnostic tool immediately, preferably before purchasing the car. Bluedriver was awesome for trouble shooting most of the issues.
4. Drive a mini known to be in good order. Then you have a solid reference point for how yours should drive.
5. Enjoy the satisfaction of diagnosing and repairing a car that someone else would have given up on!

Last edited by Patch09; 09-04-2018 at 03:16 PM. Reason: Adding photo
Old 09-04-2018, 09:07 PM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Received 757 Likes on 618 Posts
Welcome. Now days that seems like a rare color as I don't see it as often as I use to.

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | IE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more
Old 09-05-2018, 04:19 AM
AnOldBiker
4th Gear - An Official NAM Greeter
Received 145 Likes on 138 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

Old 09-05-2018, 05:21 AM
JABowders
6th Gear
Received 177 Likes on 166 Posts
Welcome.

Great looking car, can't beat a convertible ...

Motor On!

Old 09-05-2018, 03:27 PM
iankun
2nd Gear
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Welcome to NAM. All I can say is your son's very lucky to have such a cool dad
Love that color combo and enjoyed reading you notes on general maintenance. I think I'll definitely be changing the plugs on mine after reading your write-up (I just picked up an older mini with high kms and I know the plugs are a bit dirty)

Old 09-05-2018, 03:36 PM
Patch09
1st Gear
Originally Posted by iankun
Welcome to NAM. All I can say is your son's very lucky to have such a cool dad
Love that color combo and enjoyed reading you notes on general maintenance. I think I'll definitely be changing the plugs on mine after reading your write-up (I just picked up an older mini with high kms and I know the plugs are a bit dirty)
Aprreciate the kind words. I’ve learned a ton and am more than happy to share any thoughts if you need it. I’m an engineer by day so I tend to obsess about getting it perfect.....even if it’s to my own demise.....lol

Old 09-05-2018, 04:40 PM
iankun
2nd Gear
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Patch09
Aprreciate the kind words. I’ve learned a ton and am more than happy to share any thoughts if you need it. I’m an engineer by day so I tend to obsess about getting it perfect.....even if it’s to my own demise.....lol
I can relate somewhat...lol (I'm more of a clean freak)
I'd love to do some of the more involved maintenance items myself but I need to procure the right tools first - this is in progress (....famous last words hahaha)

Old 09-05-2018, 09:00 PM
ItsmeWayne
6th Gear - An Official NAM Greeter
Received 328 Likes on 309 Posts
Hi and welcome to NAM, Patch09!
I am glad you cared enough to bring it into good shape. These cars will last a good long while, if you keep up on hem!

Old 09-07-2018, 02:13 PM
Patch09
1st Gear
Originally Posted by ItsmeWayne
Hi and welcome to NAM, Patch09!
I am glad you cared enough to bring it into good shape. These cars will last a good long while, if you keep up on hem!
Its being kept up now, but clearly wasn't before! Thanks for the welcome fellas!