1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Old Guy - New Owner

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2018, 01:36 PM
MRundel
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Old Guy - New Owner

In an act many think crazy, I traded a 06 Corvette convertible for a 08 Mini S with dealer installed JCW. I liked the Vette but never loved it. I tell people the Mini is quicker and a lot more fun to drive. My wife loves it and, since its a 6 speed, will never drive it. The seat doesn't get moved, the radio never gets changed... yeah for me. My daughter didn't think I could get my 60 year old body in and out or fit in there. She was wrong.

I'm enjoying the forum. I've read about the death rattle and my car starts quietly for now. ( has 83k on the odometer). The timing chain issue sounds scary so hopefully I didn't buy a time bomb. I assume not everyone has a horror story so some positive reinforcement that I made a good choice will be appreciated.

Old 06-09-2018, 02:30 PM
vetsvette
Received 450 Likes on 343 Posts
Welcome to the neighborhood.

Old 06-09-2018, 02:48 PM
Whine not Walnuts
OVERDRIVE
Received 625 Likes on 554 Posts
Welcome to NAM any pictures?

My 08 Vet Convertible was beautiful, sleek, turned heads and not only exuded power but had it to spare. My Gen1 is short, stubby with some saying it looks like a flying pig, or it is a "cute" little car. That is all OK, as it is more fun to drive a slow car fast than a fast car slow. You are now a member of an exclusive club of enlightened individuals that recognizes the MINI as a great handling sports car

Plus it is a whole lot easier to get in and out of.

Old 06-09-2018, 03:04 PM
AnOldBiker
4th Gear - An Official NAM Greeter
Received 145 Likes on 138 Posts
Welcome to the forum

Old 06-09-2018, 05:13 PM
Goldsmithy
MINI Alliance Ambassador
Received 57 Likes on 45 Posts
Welcome to the forum...lots of great people and good information here. 60 year old--you're still a young-un. Sounds like you got a great car.

Old 06-09-2018, 05:33 PM
MRundel
1st Gear
Thanks folks. BUT I took my wife out for supper. Heard a little rattle on cold start up. Drove 20 miles to dinner on the lake. After dinner on start up a more pronounced rattle. So I figure I'll be on the phone first of the week search for a competent shop to investigate. I'm in SouthWest Missouri with no local Mini dealer, (nearest are KC, St. Louis or Little Rock) there'a BMW dealer in Springfield and several independent shops. I'll post in the correct section about this and see what I can learn needs to be done.

Old 06-09-2018, 05:45 PM
MiniTigger
5th Gear
Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Hopefully the rattle is not a big deal.

Old 06-10-2018, 06:36 AM
mini_wisconsin
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The rattle can sometimes mean there are problems with the timing chain. Poor tension on the chain over time causes the timing chain to stretch.

Old 06-10-2018, 07:50 AM
bratling
Super Moderator
Received 217 Likes on 151 Posts
Originally Posted by MRundel
Thanks folks. BUT I took my wife out for supper. Heard a little rattle on cold start up. Drove 20 miles to dinner on the lake. After dinner on start up a more pronounced rattle. So I figure I'll be on the phone first of the week search for a competent shop to investigate. I'm in SouthWest Missouri with no local Mini dealer, (nearest are KC, St. Louis or Little Rock) there'a BMW dealer in Springfield and several independent shops. I'll post in the correct section about this and see what I can learn needs to be done.
That’s the classic cold startup rattle that the N14 engine is notorious for.

Today, check the oil level. If it is low or even at the low end of the OK range, bring it up to full. Err on the slightly high for.

Next call a local German auto shop. The BMW dealer can deal with it but they don’t see many N14 engines as they were never used in BMW brand cars. And they will charge you BMW labor rates. So call an indie instead.

You may need nothing more than the updated timing chain tensioner, which is an inexpensive part and fairly easy to replace. If it has gone for years without being addressed, the chain may be stretched out of spec and/or the chain guides may be broken and laying in bits at the bottom of the engine. If this is the case, you may need a full timing chain and guides replacement.

You unfortunately have one of the least reliable MINIs made. The forums here will provide plenty of detail on the worst case scenarios and maybe scare the heck out of you. But check out that rattle, and be aware that there is an extended warranty on the high pressure fuel pump and (I think) the water pump, two of the more common failure points. I also suggest you look at the turbo’s oil line feed — Easily visible at the front right of the engine — And if it is particularly crusty or corroded, have it replaced with new parts and the heat shield MINI later added to it to improve longevity.

And those addressed, then enjoy the car. They’re a heckuva lot of fun to drive. I’ve owned one each of the first, second and third generation cars, and I think the R56 series have the best mix of power, handling, comfort and fun. The earlier models aren’t quite as comfortable and the later models aren’t quite as agile. But all three generations are great, rewarding cars to drive.

So so welcome to NAM, and to Mini ownership. Motor on! :-)

Old 06-10-2018, 09:15 AM
ItsmeWayne
6th Gear - An Official NAM Greeter
Received 328 Likes on 309 Posts
Hi and welcome to the NAM family.
You are among many old farts and X Corvette owners here.
Don't freak out about the rattle, you need a few things right away. A valve cover gasket, Upper timing chain guide (maybe the others also) and timing chain tensioner.

Don't panic! We will get you working as new again. This work is not too hard and can be done in short order!
It is vitally important to only use full synthetic oil and a filter every 5K miles on this engine. We can get into that later.
We need pics!
Congrats on your MCS buy!

I am 68 and daily drive my 06 MCS JCW.

Old 06-10-2018, 11:22 AM
mini_wisconsin
5th Gear
Originally Posted by bratling

You may need nothing more than the updated timing chain tensioner, which is an inexpensive part and fairly easy to replace.

You would think that the timing chain has already been replaced by a previous owner.

Old 06-10-2018, 12:41 PM
MRundel
1st Gear
Fortunately, I have the names and possible addresses of the two prior ( and only) owners and may be able to score the phone number of the last owner. I'll see what I can learn of past maintenance. I let the car set approximately 18 hours and then checked oil and viewed the tensioner, It has the dimple in the head so a sign of an upgrade. Oil was full. Hit the starter and no rattle. The local family owned used car dealership where I bought it changed the oil but I don't know what kind they put in it. I'll call tomorrow and if necessary, change it over to a proper synthetic. Can that make a difference? Mobile 1 or Castrol?

Old 06-10-2018, 01:05 PM
mini_wisconsin
5th Gear

This is what I used in my 2008 MINI Cooper S, and it had a thirst for oil

Old 06-11-2018, 08:20 AM
MRundel
1st Gear
Follow Up.
I started the car this morning. There's a sound like a heat shield rattle for one second, then nothing but a smooth, quiet engine. I checked with the car lot that sold it to me, they changed oil with Castrol Synthetic 0-20 weight. Is that too thin? Is the tensioner pressure fed and leaking down resulting in the rattle until re-pressurized on start up? Should I try a new tensioner just to be on the safe side? Thanks again to all of you who responded with helpful suggestions so far.

Old 06-11-2018, 08:32 AM
ItsmeWayne
6th Gear - An Official NAM Greeter
Received 328 Likes on 309 Posts
The problem with the mechanical cam chain tensioner, is it gets galled up inside and starts to stick. Some times it starts correctly, but you can not depend on that and if it sticks low on the travel, the cam chain is loose and can cause the fatal chain break and engine destruction. The valves hit the pistons and causes a very expensive fix. It is not worth the risk, as the cam chain tensioner is cheap and easy to replace.
You may have another issue, with the heat sheild, which is an easier fix, that will do no harm, if you can not get to it right away.

Old 06-12-2018, 04:02 AM
JABowders
6th Gear
Received 177 Likes on 166 Posts
Welcome.

Loads of information here and you can find all the advice you care to read.

Enjoy your car and seek out those curvy sections and remember to apex out.

Motor On!