1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New R53 MCS owner, not sure what I got myself into but I love it

Old 03-09-2016, 04:31 PM
philtruitt
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New R53 MCS owner, not sure what I got myself into but I love it

Hello all! I just picked up a 2006 MCS the other night on an impulse craigslist buy. I sold my e36 weekend toy and have been wanting to replace it for a few months. I never though i wanted a mini, now I love it! Its a one owner car, 194,000 miles, 15% pulley, headers, bpipe, and I'm not sure what else. Have some maintenance records but overall it has been taken care of, interior is showroom. I'm mostly familiar with AMG cars but somewhat with BMWs (e36,e24,e46). So i got the car cheap, in hopes of a new summer fun car for cruising and maybe some autox. The twist on this car, is that the getrag doesnt have 5th or 6th gear. I plan on tearing the front off and either removing trans, or whole engine and trans and going through every wear item in the next few months. Hoping to find out my getrag can be fixed because the clutch feels very new and it shifts flawless through the other gears, synchros work like new even.
Pic! Will get some good ones eventually.

Old 03-09-2016, 04:36 PM
bavmotors
6th Gear
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
I also went from an e36 to my r53, its been a good transition

Old 03-09-2016, 04:39 PM
philtruitt
Neutral
Originally Posted by bavmotors
I also went from an e36 to my r53, its been a good transition

Glad to see i'm not the only one moving from the increasingly iconic e36. I have been impressed. I had coilovers, interior completely stripped, and bolt ons and my stock r53 seems to handle just as good or better and has a ton more torque which is fun since all I do is play with it. Plus I have a stereo and ac now!

Old 03-10-2016, 06:02 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,964 Likes on 1,764 Posts
Originally Posted by philtruitt
Hello all! I just picked up a 2006 MCS the other night on an impulse craigslist buy. I sold my e36 weekend toy and have been wanting to replace it for a few months. I never though i wanted a mini, now I love it! Its a one owner car, 194,000 miles, 15% pulley, headers, bpipe, and I'm not sure what else. Have some maintenance records but overall it has been taken care of, interior is showroom. I'm mostly familiar with AMG cars but somewhat with BMWs (e36,e24,e46). So i got the car cheap, in hopes of a new summer fun car for cruising and maybe some autox. The twist on this car, is that the getrag doesnt have 5th or 6th gear. I plan on tearing the front off and either removing trans, or whole engine and trans and going through every wear item in the next few months. Hoping to find out my getrag can be fixed because the clutch feels very new and it shifts flawless through the other gears, synchros work like new even.
Pic! Will get some good ones eventually.

Welcome, went from and E30 and E34 to an R52 MINI also. Sounds like a great project and nice find , I have 260K+ on my 2005 MCC. On the 6 speed getrag there are not to many internal parts from MINI direct, most people get another transmission , new or used , if used the swap parts that look the best from both transmissions. or they find a newer one with the LSD option and get the upgrade.

Let me know if you need anything.

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 03-10-2016, 06:17 AM
Helix13mini
Former Vendor
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Before tearing it totally apart, have a look at the shifter linkage at the bottom of the shifter box and at the trans itself. If I remember correctly 5th and 6th are on different pinions, which might indicate that it's a linkage problem and not an internal trans problem.

Old 03-10-2016, 08:18 AM
PelicanParts.com
Vendor
Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
Welcome to NAM and congratulations! Hope you get things fixed up and if you need anything while you work on your project be sure to let me know! Enjoy.

888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST
Old 03-10-2016, 11:38 AM
philtruitt
Neutral
Originally Posted by ECSTuning
Welcome, went from and E30 and E34 to an R52 MINI also. Sounds like a great project and nice find , I have 260K+ on my 2005 MCC. On the 6 speed getrag there are not to many internal parts from MINI direct, most people get another transmission , new or used , if used the swap parts that look the best from both transmissions. or they find a newer one with the LSD option and get the upgrade.

Let me know if you need anything.
Thank you very much! I'm glad to see higher miles also, refreshing. That is what I have read with the getrag, currently I am looking for a new trans, maybe a svt focus one for parts. Mine already has the LSD so I'm lucky there. I have bought parts for my Mercedes from ECS, always great to deal with.

Originally Posted by Helix13mini
Before tearing it totally apart, have a look at the shifter linkage at the bottom of the shifter box and at the trans itself. If I remember correctly 5th and 6th are on different pinions, which might indicate that it's a linkage problem and not an internal trans problem.
I bought the car hoping for linkage problems, but I have not checked the linkage yet but i hear noise sitting at idle in neutrual, and if you put it in the 5th or 6th spot at idle with clutch out you can hear something bouncing around internally. I have a video of the noise i will post once I get it posted on youtube. The car goes into 5th and 6th fine but there is no gear there. It would be good to know if 5th and 6th are on the same pinion or not. It seems like maybe a broken fork or some other internal linkage, but its weird that its both 5th and 6th.

Originally Posted by PelicanParts.com
Welcome to NAM and congratulations! Hope you get things fixed up and if you need anything while you work on your project be sure to let me know! Enjoy.

Thank you! Will do.

Old 03-10-2016, 11:57 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,964 Likes on 1,764 Posts
[QUOTE=philtruitt;4185563]Thank you very much! I'm glad to see higher miles also, refreshing. That is what I have read with the getrag, currently I am looking for a new trans, maybe a svt focus one for parts. Mine already has the LSD so I'm lucky there. I have bought parts for my Mercedes from ECS, always great to deal with.

Thank you! Will do.[/QUOTE

Thanks for the continued support, we are here for you MINI needs also.

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172