1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hello from the Bay Area!

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2015, 04:58 PM
kevin_
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Update! New Parts! Hello from the Bay Area!

Finally getting around to making this post! Sorry for the lame photos. Weather is nasty right now.

Anyway, some of you here already know me and actually helped with the purchase my new 2011 Mini Cooper S. Thanks again, guys!

Took the Mini in to the local Mini expert (Mini Werks in San Bruno, CA) for a thorough look over. Everything basically checks out. Car is in excellent shape! The shop did find a small oil leak, but it sounds like it's nothing serious and that the factory warranty should cover the fix. It should, right?

Some highlights:

- Only 22,000 miles - still under factory warranty until May
- XENONs
- Harmon Kardon
- Looks and smells brand new!

Some first mods I am considering:

- ECS Intake
- Alta 22mm sway bar

And maybe later down the road install catback exhaust of some sort and hopefully get my hands on some R112 rims.

That's about it for now. Looking forward to getting to know the community here and enjoying my new Mini!

Hello from the Bay Area!-x7tsgff.jpg

Hello from the Bay Area!-ozcwngg.jpg

Hello from the Bay Area!-lerwrn0.jpg

Last edited by kevin_; 02-16-2015 at 11:27 PM.
Old 02-07-2015, 07:15 PM
sabrownfl
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Congrats on the new ride! I just purchased a pre-owned 2011 MCS three weeks ago. You're in for some happy motoring!

Old 02-07-2015, 09:43 PM
Zillon
5th Gear
Received 54 Likes on 34 Posts
Finally, some pics!

That oil leak is a little more significant than you'd think - tied to the oil pressure solenoid harness. It leaks and wicks oil up the harness into the main ECU - and if left unchecked, it'll ruin the ECU. Good thing this car's still under warranty.

Old 02-07-2015, 11:10 PM
kevin_
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Zillon
Finally, some pics!

That oil leak is a little more significant than you'd think - tied to the oil pressure solenoid harness. It leaks and wicks oil up the harness into the main ECU - and if left unchecked, it'll ruin the ECU. Good thing this car's still under warranty.
Yeah, you're right. Reading about it on here. Man, I'll try to get it serviced asap.

Old 02-07-2015, 11:23 PM
thirdraildesignlab
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Plus a bike!

Old 02-09-2015, 06:42 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,964 Likes on 1,764 Posts
Congrats , looks very clean, yea check the oil wick issues and the oil pan gasket.

The R112 are nice wheels.

Black or silver would look nice.

http://www.ecstuning.com/Search/SiteSearch/R112/

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 02-09-2015, 07:52 AM
Helix13mini
Former Vendor
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Welcome, and cool color.

Old 02-09-2015, 12:09 PM
M7Speed
Former Vendor
Hey photos are great! We get to see your MINI ENJOY!

Old 02-10-2015, 08:11 AM
kevin_
3rd Gear
Dropped the mini off at mini sf this morning. Hopefully the oil leak will be repaired by friday. Covered under warranty. Was surprised that they can't give you copies of service records and can only go over it verbally l. Seriously? That is lame!

Old 02-10-2015, 08:23 AM
thedanman
1st Gear
Oil leak

Originally Posted by kevin_
Dropped the mini off at mini sf this morning. Hopefully the oil leak will be repaired by friday. Covered under warranty. Was surprised that they can't give you copies of service records and can only go over it verbally l. Seriously? That is lame!
Congrats with the purchase. Its a good thing you got the leak checked out. Its a car that's on the new side so its important to get all the issues down so that future problems wont some up.

Old 02-10-2015, 04:34 PM
MINIMAN1411
2nd Gear
About previous service records, I persisted when I got my used MINI, and after the SA telling no on three different occasions, I went to the main SA at the dealer and asked him and he told since the records popped up in my name, because I was the only one who'd service that car at that dealer, he would let me have the previous records, persist continually and if they say no, ask the higher ups, they'll likely give it to you.

Old 02-10-2015, 08:11 PM
kevin_
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by MINIMAN1411
About previous service records, I persisted when I got my used MINI, and after the SA telling no on three different occasions, I went to the main SA at the dealer and asked him and he told since the records popped up in my name, because I was the only one who'd service that car at that dealer, he would let me have the previous records, persist continually and if they say no, ask the higher ups, they'll likely give it to you.
It seems borderline illegal...I own the vehicle, spent a ton of money, but I'm not allowed to see it's service records? Are you freaking kidding me? How does this benefit the dealership?

Old 02-12-2015, 08:38 AM
Helix13mini
Former Vendor
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
It seems borderline illegal...I own the vehicle, spent a ton of money, but I'm not allowed to see it's service records? Are you freaking kidding me? How does this benefit the dealership?
That is weird. I'm sure it's a privacy/liability issue, but why? I don't know.

Old 02-12-2015, 08:49 AM
Zillon
5th Gear
Received 54 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by Helix13mini
That is weird. I'm sure it's a privacy/liability issue, but why? I don't know.
Might show the previous owner's contact info/address, which of course, would definitely be a privacy issue.

They should have the ability to print those sans info, though.

Old 02-12-2015, 10:16 AM
MINIMAN1411
2nd Gear
Yeah,it's a privacy issue because the service records for you car show the owner that is registered with MINI/BMW USA HQ, so unless you sent in that little card included in your owners manual (if the PO left it there) updating the owner's information, then the service records are going to be in the last registered owners name. What I did was ask the SA the first time I took the car for service if I could have any service records (I didn't know if my car had any, turns out it had 4 pages worth!) and they were in the PO's name and he told me he couldn't give them to me because of privacy issues (although the PO left her address in the Sat Nav, and her finance contract in the Owners Manual!), then I sent in the card to update owners info with MINI USA and when I went to the dealer the second time four weeks later, I asked if I could see the Service Records one more time and voilà, the records had all my information on the first page, I pointed it out to him and asked the SA one more time if I could have them, he asked his manager and they handed them right over!

Old 02-16-2015, 08:16 PM
kevin_
3rd Gear
Thanks for the info, guys. Will try to get my name on the service records.

Anyway...picked up the following parts from a guy on CL. These came from a Cooper S that had the JCW tuning kit installed. Unfortunately I don't know the mileage on the parts, but everything appears to be in good shape/working order. Paid $800 for everything Reasonable deal?

- JCW exhaust with JCW tips
- JCW suspension kit
- White OEM wing
- Checkered mirror caps
- Chrome tail light rings

- I'm planning on installing the exhaust and suspension. Not sure if I will install the sway bars, though. Should I hold off on the sway bars and go Alta instead? How much different are the JCW sway bars compared to stock? They seem very similar after a quick look. What kind of drop can I expect with the JCW suspension? How does the JCW exhaust compare to stock S?

- The OEM wing might be for sale if I don't turn it into a project - getting the carbon extender and painting it black.

- I will plasti-dip the chrome rings flat back.

- The checked mirror caps are a bit yellowish. Will likely sell. Are these things covered under warranty? Can I get them replaced due to the oxidation/yellowing?

- Finally, how does the warranty work on JCW parts? Do they have their own individual warranty or do they take on the cars factory warranty? How do I know if these are still under warranty?

Thanks in advance for taking the time to respond!!!

Hello from the Bay Area!-dvkgw4q.jpg

Hello from the Bay Area!-ctjtzdj.jpg

Hello from the Bay Area!-gcilfpx.jpg

Last edited by kevin_; 02-16-2015 at 08:23 PM.
Old 02-16-2015, 09:27 PM
kevin_
3rd Gear
Hmm...it looks like my mini has the sports suspension package...would swapping JCW sway bars with stock sport sway bars be worth the effort?

Old 02-16-2015, 10:11 PM
Minnie.the.Moocher
OVERDRIVE
Received 570 Likes on 486 Posts
I logged onto Mini dealer website to make service appointment, all the old service records from first owner were right on the account for me to see. Not sure if you have that same set up, but worth a shot.

Old 02-17-2015, 12:01 AM
LarriB
3rd Gear
Today, we tried to get the records for my daughter's 2011 because it going off warranty. The SA read the key, but refused to print out the records, saying it was MINI proprietary info. I don't blame him, he was just following what he was told. Ultimately, he came up with he idea of letting us take a photo of his computer screen. It's our car, it should be our information.