1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'06 MCS -- Want to get my hands dirty

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2014, 12:27 AM
pkill
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'06 MCS -- Want to get my hands dirty

Hey all,

Proud owner of an '06 MCS and I'm looking to make working on my ride a bit of a hobby. I'm looking into upgrading the brakes as well as some other possible upgrades and was wondering what resources would be good to look at first. Never worked on a car before, but I'd consider myself handy and more practical than most.

Thanks in advance!

Old 07-08-2014, 04:45 AM
Capt_bj
OVERDRIVE
Received 281 Likes on 237 Posts
start with some DIY guides you can find right here. Changing your own oil is an easy place to begin and the DIY for replacing brake pads and rotors gives you all you need to 'upgrade' if you buy aftermarket rotors and pads.

First tho, do you have a garage or other place to work on the car. In most towns doing this type of work on the street is a no no.

Second, what's your tool situation? Have a basic set of wrenches and or socket set? Screw drivers? How about a decent jack and maybe a set of jack stands? (required for the brake work) ... and MINI has a lot of TORX fasters so you'll need these too. A torque wrench is a VERY good idea. If doing rear brakes there is a special tool to help turn the rear pistons which is very handy. [later 2 here can often be 'borrowed' from chain part stores by leaving a deposit]

Here are a few places to browse for parts (and special tools) ...

http://www.outmotoring.com/

http://waymotorworks.com/

http://www.minimania.com/

I've bought from all ... when u compare prices include the shipping as those prices vary widely . . .

Lastly, check your local library for some basic auto mechanic books. I still have an old high school auto shop text from the 70's that comes in handy from time to time . . .

[p.s. some of the older DIY's here on NAM no longer have the pictures available. If you run to this PM me as I have some of them saved and can e-mail]

[p.s.2 A local MINI club may have a guru or too will to help show you the ropes. I've helped several folks thru their first oil change and brake job. Ask around or if near Space Coast Florida, come on by]

Old 07-08-2014, 07:48 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,966 Likes on 1,766 Posts
If you like a paper book to use for DIYs to use in accompany with this site. The Bentley Manual is a good choice also. Currently have free shipping also, and is in stock. This will get you more familiar with some of the mechanical.

MINI R50,R52,R53 Cooper, Cooper S, JCW (2002-2008) Service Manual Part # BM06

http://www.ecstuning.com/Search/SiteSearch/ES2073657/

Thanks and good luck.

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 07-08-2014, 08:37 AM
jamez
5th Gear
Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts
+1 for the Bentley manual - every owner should have one (even just to read).
You'll absolutely need a torque wrench. Do not work on your car without one.

Pick up a can of PB Blaster and make sure to spray the areas for a few days before the work you end up doing (like suspension et all), things will go much smoother, and you'll enjoy the work more.

Look up the "Girl's Guide to" series on this site, and get familiar with taking off the front end of the car (called the Modular Front End - MFE). The first time it took me around 40 minutes, but I'm down to 25-30 mins each time. It looks worse than it is.

Start small, get involved in your local club and have a mod day!

Good luck and happy wrenching!

Old 07-08-2014, 11:21 AM
pkill
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Capt_bj
start with some DIY guides you can find right here. Changing your own oil is an easy place to begin and the DIY for replacing brake pads and rotors gives you all you need to 'upgrade' if you buy aftermarket rotors and pads.

First tho, do you have a garage or other place to work on the car. In most towns doing this type of work on the street is a no no.

Second, what's your tool situation? Have a basic set of wrenches and or socket set? Screw drivers? How about a decent jack and maybe a set of jack stands? (required for the brake work) ... and MINI has a lot of TORX fasters so you'll need these too. A torque wrench is a VERY good idea. If doing rear brakes there is a special tool to help turn the rear pistons which is very handy. [later 2 here can often be 'borrowed' from chain part stores by leaving a deposit]

Here are a few places to browse for parts (and special tools) ...

http://www.outmotoring.com/

http://waymotorworks.com/

http://www.minimania.com/

I've bought from all ... when u compare prices include the shipping as those prices vary widely . . .

Lastly, check your local library for some basic auto mechanic books. I still have an old high school auto shop text from the 70's that comes in handy from time to time . . .

[p.s. some of the older DIY's here on NAM no longer have the pictures available. If you run to this PM me as I have some of them saved and can e-mail]

[p.s.2 A local MINI club may have a guru or too will to help show you the ropes. I've helped several folks thru their first oil change and brake job. Ask around or if near Space Coast Florida, come on by]
Thanks for the tips! Glad to see there's a vibrant community out there willing to help out the newbies. I don't have a garage, but I do have some space other than the street to work with. As far as tools go, I'm finishing up my last year in school out in California (home is Virginia) so the tools I do have are a ways away. No one in my family works on cars, and I don't think we've got anything in the way of a torque wrench. I realize I'll probably need to invest in a kit of tools sooner rather than later.

When it comes to budgeting, I have quite a bit of expendable income to put towards the car. I'd have no qualms putting a few grand into a BBK as long as I have the tools and competency to install it.

Originally Posted by ECSTuning
If you like a paper book to use for DIYs to use in accompany with this site. The Bentley Manual is a good choice also. Currently have free shipping also, and is in stock. This will get you more familiar with some of the mechanical.

MINI R50,R52,R53 Cooper, Cooper S, JCW (2002-2008) Service Manual Part # BM06

http://www.ecstuning.com/Search/SiteSearch/ES2073657/

Thanks and good luck.
Originally Posted by jamez
+1 for the Bentley manual - every owner should have one (even just to read).
You'll absolutely need a torque wrench. Do not work on your car without one.

Pick up a can of PB Blaster and make sure to spray the areas for a few days before the work you end up doing (like suspension et all), things will go much smoother, and you'll enjoy the work more.

Look up the "Girl's Guide to" series on this site, and get familiar with taking off the front end of the car (called the Modular Front End - MFE). The first time it took me around 40 minutes, but I'm down to 25-30 mins each time. It looks worse than it is.

Start small, get involved in your local club and have a mod day!

Good luck and happy wrenching!
Thanks for the book! I'll be sure to order one this week and dig into it during my free time. My response to the above quote briefly mentions tools, but what would you consider a decent tool kit? I don't think I'll be doing an engine rebuild any time soon; I'm definitely interested in a BBK, as well as a few other upgrades in the future.

My biggest concern is potentially making the car undrivable as it's my main form of transportation. I don't rely on it too much when I'm at school, but I still don't want to get halfway through a BBK install just to realize I'm not going to be able to drive the car. When you suggest using PB blaster days in advance of a job, I'm guessing it's not advisable to then go and drive normally while the PB blaster does its work on my rusty bolts?

Thanks for all the replies! Already feeling like these forums are an incredible resource to have.

Old 07-08-2014, 11:31 AM
pkill
1st Gear
Not sure why my reply didn't post, but thank you all for your responses! It's awesome to know there's such a great community out there.

Any suggestions on a comprehensive kit of tools and what sort of jack will make my jobs easiest are much appreciated! I don't think I'll be rebuilding my engine anytime soon, but I definitely want to figure out how feasible a BBK install would be and things of that difficulty.

Old 07-08-2014, 06:05 PM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Received 757 Likes on 618 Posts
We obviously carry everything you need. But the best thing to do is put a plan together on what you want to do. That way you don't get tools you won't need, and can figure out what parts are going to get you where you want to be.

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | IE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more
Old 07-08-2014, 08:46 PM
pkill
1st Gear
Well I think I'd start with a brake upgrade, probably the Wilwood BBK. I'm guessing I'll need a good quality jack, a decent socket kit, a decent screwdriver kit, the rear piston compression tool, and a few others. I searched for a DIY on a full brake kit upgrade but couldn't find much. Are there some good resources I should read through?

Old 07-08-2014, 09:54 PM
pkill
1st Gear
Also, I've always wondered how difficult a boost gauge install would be, and judging by this thread, it doesn't seem too hard: https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...e-install.html

This makes me think I'd also need the tools for removing the intercooler. I'm guessing that'll require a torx kit or something along that line?

Old 07-09-2014, 06:43 AM
ashchuckton
5th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
First thing, buy a Bentley manual. If you are going to work on your MINI you will find it invaluable. Second, buy the right tools for the job. Nothing more frustrating than having to go find & buy a tool once you are into a job.

Enjoy modding your MINI, it's a fun addiction.

Old 07-09-2014, 03:28 PM
Capt_bj
OVERDRIVE
a beginner is usually chased off by the cost of a Bentley

you DO NOT need one ...

I've been working on MINI and Mini for 12 years and NEVER bought one

you need basic skills ..... start small ......

jumping to Wilwood brakes????? WHY?

MINI brakes are already WAY over sized. Change the rotors and pads (rotors for bling.. go slotted)

GOOD FIRST PROJECT

Old 07-09-2014, 03:35 PM
pkill
1st Gear
The cost doesn't scare me much, so no worries there. I'm mostly looking to work on it for the thrill of building things; I've always been a tinkerer. As well as the thrill of building, performance and bling are always a plus

I appreciate the concern, and while doing rotors and pads is a smarter first step, I've always been a "why settle" kind of thinker.

Old 07-09-2014, 06:35 PM
cct1
6th Gear
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Soopercooperinfo.com is a great DIY resource.

Old 07-09-2014, 08:21 PM
ashchuckton
5th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
There is a Bentley manual here in the marketplace for $50. Cheap enough if you ask me.

If a manual is available I always buy one. They do come in very handy.

Old 07-09-2014, 10:09 PM
pkill
1st Gear
Originally Posted by cct1
Soopercooperinfo.com is a great DIY resource.
That site is either down or no longer exists

Old 07-11-2014, 01:08 PM
Capt_bj
OVERDRIVE
Any suggestions on a comprehensive kit of tools and what sort of jack will make my jobs easiest are much appreciated!

Good tools will last forever if not abused. Good tools can be found at Sears or anyplace that sells Craftsman; Lowes' KOBALT tools are good; Home Depot Husky brand; pro's would go to SNAP OFF or SK but you don't need to go that far. I've got Craftsman stuff that's over 50 years old but in recent times buy more KOBALT.

Start with a 1/4 inch drive socket set. For the MINI you want metric of course but since the tools will eventually be used for other stuff you may as well get a combined 'standard and metric' {sep' sockets for each, I once tried to work with a set of sockets that were a combined set where each socket was marked for a standard and a metric size .... YUK is the nicest thing I can say about them. They were donated to the VOTEC HS auto repair program I helped out at}. You'll add specialty sockets as you go. Or, something like this will meet 90% of your needs forever: http://www.lowes.com/pd_222202-22328...%7C1&facetInfo=

Craftsman has great sets too . . .

A GOOD set will include TORX bits (to remove rotors on a GEN1 you'll need a T-45 . . . )

on top of sockets, at a minimum you want a decent set of screwdrivers, 3 sizes each in flat and Phillips is a good start; a decent set of pliers at a minimum and I seem to always end up needing needle nose pliers b4 I'm done.

for a jack you don't need to go over board. In fact you almost need to do the opposite. The MINI is light and LOW so you need a small or a 'low profile' jack to ensure it fits under the car. The jack is used to LIFT the car until you place it on JACK STANDS. NEVER work under a car supported by a jack - put it on jack stands. AGAIN the issue is size and height. You don't want big ones ... 3 ton capacity is PLENTY. I actually use 2 ton capacity jack and stands when working on MINI and it is fine. I found a set with a rolling floor jack and two stands for about $40.... watch auto part store sale advertisements.

Soon, someone is going to recommend you go to Harbor Freight for your jack, stands and all your tools. I have a number of tools from Harbor Freight. But NOT stuff I use routinely ... occasional use stuff or stuff where 'precision' is not a factor. Jack stands .. no problem. Hose for my air tools - great prices at HF. A breaker bar, and some C-clamps ... OK. I know a LOT of people who use HF jacks. Socket set - IMO never .... screw drivers, probably not. Handle some KOBALT tools then the same tool at HF and I doubt you'll need much more explanation.

This is enuf to consume your allowance this week . . .

{hint .... sometimes people buy nice sets of tools and either loose the job or the interest and these tools not uncommonly find their way to pawn shops .... if you've got the time and KNOW WHAT A SET costs new ... you MIGHT find a bargain}

{hint two ... over the years I've suggested to the NAM powers a few times that they add a 'tools' forum and they have obviously not been interested. Here's a site that has one and I KNOW there's good info there. I think you need to register to get full access (way back in time) .. I was a Miata owner b4 and longer than MINI/Mini owner . . . I posted to this site YEARS ago so I know there are MANY pages altho as a visitor I only get access to two}
http://forum.miata.net/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=23
<if you go to this site, they only show the last 2 months activity IME. BUT if you search and change the time window you can go back to the beginning of time!!!!>

Last edited by Capt_bj; 07-11-2014 at 01:50 PM.
Old 07-11-2014, 03:53 PM
bavmotors
6th Gear
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Honestly if you have a tablet or a laptop, you can probably skip the manual. The internet has basically every write up you will need. Probably better than the manual too.

Old 07-13-2014, 05:27 PM
pkill
1st Gear
Just finished my first mod yesterday; installed a boost gauge on my tach! Obviously not the most intense mod, but a good start nonetheless. Pics below...

Not sure why the gauge is reading VAC only; shouldn't there be at least a little boost when accelerating? Here's a video of the gauge response when I rev (albeit parked, in neutral). Even when moving at decent pace, the gauge never reads positive. It starts at 20 VAC when I start up, and fluctuates between 25 and 5 VAC, never positive.

Last edited by pkill; 07-13-2014 at 05:40 PM. Reason: Lower res video link
Old 07-14-2014, 09:47 PM
pkill
1st Gear
Figured it out; I tapped a vacuum line. I finally found the grommet Alta's guide was talking about. I didn't realize it was actually just a metal nipple on the manifold itself. The gauge works brilliantly now!