1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New 2011 MCS Owner...going to Minis on the Dragon in MAY!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2011, 10:00 AM
Whistler NC
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New 2011 MCS Owner...going to Minis on the Dragon 2011

Just bought my first MINI a week ago and I can't stop driving it!! A few of my friends picked on me and said it was a "girls" car...UNTIL i took them for a spin and sucked their *** back in the seat and kept it their as I ran up through the 6 gears!!

Already have the windows tinted and custom stripes on the doors. I'm saving for a cat-back system ( Mill tek I'm 95% sure....suggestions?) and intake.

I am blown away by the Harmon Cardon Stereo

I live near Winston-Salem, NC and am hoping to meet some fun people to drive with and hang out at the Dragon gathering.

Talk to ya later,

Larry

Attached Thumbnails New 2011 MCS Owner...going to Minis on the Dragon in MAY!!-mini-tint.jpg  

Last edited by Whistler NC; 03-05-2011 at 03:14 PM.
Old 03-05-2011, 10:12 AM
C H I C K L E T
6th Gear
Welcome and congrats!

Old 03-05-2011, 10:40 AM
BoCRon
6th Gear
Welcome to NAM and congrats, too!
I'm waiting for my '11 to get here (hopefully in 2 weeks or so) and will be going to the Dragon, at least for a day. I'm getting some graphics and a Minifini sport link installed there. I'm also dying to upgrade the exhaust but am going to try to hold off until after the dragon so I can hear some in person before I decide. So far I like Milltek, Magnaflow, Borla and Alta LOL, each one I listen to sounds great so I can't decide grrrrrr.
Annette

Old 03-05-2011, 10:47 AM
DooBahDoo
6th Gear
Congrats & Welcome! See you at the dragin in 52 days...but who's counting?

Old 03-05-2011, 01:39 PM
Achilles honor
6th Gear
i guess im gonna have to go to the dragon to.. is there a website for this event?

Old 03-05-2011, 01:45 PM
gr8ful
4th Gear
Motd

Old 03-05-2011, 01:50 PM
Achilles honor
6th Gear
Originally Posted by gr8ful
Motd
?

Old 03-05-2011, 02:06 PM
Whistler NC
2nd Gear
Google" minis on the dragon" and u will find home page.....as of today the microtel in robbinsville had rooms.

Old 03-05-2011, 02:44 PM
JCWSLAYER
3rd Gear
Here is a link for MOTD and just to let ya know if you go in May you will miss it

http://www.minisonthedragon.com/

Old 03-05-2011, 03:15 PM
Whistler NC
2nd Gear
You are right Slayer...lol....i was in hurry. I fixed the title now. Thanks

Old 03-05-2011, 04:13 PM
Achilles honor
6th Gear
Originally Posted by JCWSLAYER
Here is a link for MOTD and just to let ya know if you go in May you will miss it

http://www.minisonthedragon.com/
thnx

Old 03-06-2011, 02:21 AM
*Ghost*
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Welcome to the forum Larry!

Congratulations on your new MINI

Old 03-06-2011, 05:06 AM
BoCRon
6th Gear
I meant to say your MINI looks sharp! That is a very cool stripe. What is the tint on your windows? I'm starting to make calls about getting mine done when it gets here.
Annette

Old 03-06-2011, 08:11 AM
Whistler NC
2nd Gear
Annette,

The film I went with for the windows was 55%. After install I checked it with my department's tint meter and the windows measured 38%. I'm a cop and in North Carolina the windows must allow at least 35% light transmission.

A lot of folks go to a tint shop and say "I want my car to be legal so give me 40% film." Most don't realize that cars ship from the factory with a certain amount of "tint" already. When you combine the 40% film with whats on the car already, it can drop you down below 30%.

Now I don't ever recall writing a MINI owner a speeding ticket or any ticket for that matter, but super dark tint is a pet peeve of mine. If its Midnight and I pull a car over and the tint is so dark I can't see who, or how many people are in a car (And whats pointing at me) as I walk up, that poses a huge safety issue.

I think in GA you can have darker tint because its sooooo hot there

Old 03-06-2011, 08:16 AM
BoCRon
6th Gear
Yep, GA allows a bit darker. The site I checked said tint must allow 32%, so not much more than NC.
Based on your pic, that is plenty dark for me so thanks for the info. I'm going to tell my tint girl to aim for that. I didn't understand what a tint meter was but apparently she carries one with her to verify tint before you pay. This is one of those companies that will come do the car at your home or office. We are getting my MINI and my husband's Countryman done at the same time so it is worth the extra expense to pay for the on site application.
Annette

Old 03-06-2011, 09:09 AM
tccox
4th Gear
Congrats on a great car . Nice color also. You get it at Flow Mini ???

Awsome dog........

Old 03-06-2011, 09:35 AM
Whistler NC
2nd Gear
thanks for the compliment Tcoxx.....I did buy it at Flow, and I can't complain about my experience with them.

Annette, one thing I forgot to add was that I had both sunroofs tinted at 5% Limo tint to keep it cooler in the summer. I paid $180 for all the windows and the two sunroofs if that helps you any.

Talk soon,

Larry

Old 03-06-2011, 10:15 AM
BoCRon
6th Gear
Thanks Larry, I'm getting a solid vinyl sunroof graphic put on at the Dragon so it will completely opaque after that . While I'll miss the view of the sky out of the sunroof, I'm psyched about a graphic for this MINI. I never got around to it on my '06, just couldn't decide on what to put. On this MINI I knew exactly what I wanted from the get-go. Go figure.
Annette

Old 03-06-2011, 10:50 AM
Melangell
6th Gear
After HelenBlitz, I just couldn't stay away!!! Going to the Dragon. We'll be there staying at the Microtel in a suite (ohhhh, fancy! Nope, tis all they have left).

Last edited by Melangell; 03-06-2011 at 01:57 PM.
Old 03-06-2011, 11:05 AM
Whistler NC
2nd Gear
Annette,

What graphic are you getting? I was looking at the ones at www.cooperflags.com and if I didnt love the look of my gloss black roof I would get the "Dont tread on me" one.

We too are staying at the Microtel in Robbinsville

I just need to figure out how the wife and I are gonna fit our clothes and a cooler big enough to hold 4 days worth of beer into my MINI

We're leaving the kids home and plan on doing some site seeing, the brewery tour and anything else that people recommend. We have mountain biked in the area and hiked the waterfalls, but thats about it.

I really wanted to have my exhaust done before the trip, but I'm afraid if I do that I will end up hearing something up there I like better. Too many decisions on cat-backs out there

Larry

Old 03-06-2011, 01:10 PM
Achilles honor
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Mini15235
Annette,

The film I went with for the windows was 55%. After install I checked it with my department's tint meter and the windows measured 38%. I'm a cop and in North Carolina the windows must allow at least 35% light transmission.

A lot of folks go to a tint shop and say "I want my car to be legal so give me 40% film." Most don't realize that cars ship from the factory with a certain amount of "tint" already. When you combine the 40% film with whats on the car already, it can drop you down below 30%.

Now I don't ever recall writing a MINI owner a speeding ticket or any ticket for that matter, but super dark tint is a pet peeve of mine. If its Midnight and I pull a car over and the tint is so dark I can't see who, or how many people are in a car (And whats pointing at me) as I walk up, that poses a huge safety issue.

I think in GA you can have darker tint because its sooooo hot there
how do i find out wut tint is legal in VA

Old 03-06-2011, 01:17 PM
BoCRon
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Mini15235
Annette,

What graphic are you getting? I was looking at the ones at www.cooperflags.com and if I didnt love the look of my gloss black roof I would get the "Dont tread on me" one.

We too are staying at the Microtel in Robbinsville

I just need to figure out how the wife and I are gonna fit our clothes and a cooler big enough to hold 4 days worth of beer into my MINI

We're leaving the kids home and plan on doing some site seeing, the brewery tour and anything else that people recommend. We have mountain biked in the area and hiked the waterfalls, but thats about it.

I really wanted to have my exhaust done before the trip, but I'm afraid if I do that I will end up hearing something up there I like better. Too many decisions on cat-backs out there

Larry
I'm doing a custom graphic, but basically a Black Jack that's been tweaked a bit. My husband will be getting a custom set for his Countryman yet to be decided.
We are also leaving kids at home and haven't decided on what we'll do, I like to just hang out at Fontana, so may not do any organized stuff other than the brew swap.

We are staying at the Phillips Motel I think (need to check my notes LOL).

Annette

Old 03-06-2011, 02:01 PM
Melangell
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Achilles honor
how do i find out wut tint is legal in VA
The internet?

Larry, I'll look for you guys!

Old 03-06-2011, 03:49 PM
Achilles honor
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Melangell
The internet?

Larry, I'll look for you guys!

Old 03-08-2011, 05:36 PM
Laardilla21
4th Gear
I will be at MOTD too!

I cannot wait to see everyone there. I just need to get this lodging thing down...

Quick Reply: New 2011 MCS Owner...going to Minis on the Dragon in MAY!!