1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New 2011 MCS Owner...going to Minis on the Dragon in MAY!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2011, 10:59 PM
Chanel
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
try hard to find agian

Originally Posted by Achilles honor
really hard to find.. only 100 ever made
But I want to try hard to .find it ...could we try hard togther 、?

Thank you,
have good time
Chanel

Old 03-24-2011, 04:52 PM
Whistler NC
2nd Gear
www.redlinegoods.com

Annette,

I received my order today from redlinegoods and here are a couple pics as you requested.

WOW...the perforated red leather is awesome. The stitching pattern, fit and finished product is outstanding. It looks like it came on the car......yes...its that nice.

I removed the door armrest (it pops off easy) and sprayed both surfaces with 3M high strength spray and while it was wet I stretched the leather over the armrest. I let it set up for about 5 minutes, smoothed it out and used super glue gel to tack all the edges down.

Boom!! Start to finish in 30 minutes.

It really has made my dark interior "pop" and now I want to ask redline if they will sell me some red leather so i can wrap the three pieces of the dash colorline.

I ordered the ebrake and shift boot in red/gray, but now I wished I ordered them in solid red with the gray stripe. These do look really good and the dark gray is a dead match for the steeringwheel and accents on the seats. Its just something about the half/half that is messing with my brain. One minute I wanna put them on and then next I don't know if I like them...uggghhhhh

I paid $75 plus shipping but if anyone wants them I will send them to you in a priority mail box for $60. No wait and ready to install!
( I rotated the boots about 40 degrees for the pic. When installed the gray stripe is top dead center and runs from front to back)

I should also add that my initial order online specified a silver carbon fiber strip instead of gray. My friends said it would look tacky so I emailed redline and asked them if they could just do the plain gray stripe on the armrests. He said they could, however the armrests were already made and waiting to ship. Without me asking HE REMOVED THE CARBON FIBER STRIPE, REMADE THEM WITH THE GRAY STRIPE so I would be happy. Now that is a vendor we all should support

Just so you know, my cell phone took these pics and I was under our carport at dusk. The camera does not do the rich colors justice because the flash wahsed them out. I will try and get better ones and put them in my gallery. The red leather is a deeper shade than the pic shows on the left. It is perfect IMHO.

Larry

Attached Thumbnails New 2011 MCS Owner...going to Minis on the Dragon in MAY!!-drivers-armrest.jpg   New 2011 MCS Owner...going to Minis on the Dragon in MAY!!-boots.jpg   New 2011 MCS Owner...going to Minis on the Dragon in MAY!!-interior-with-redline.jpg  

Last edited by Whistler NC; 03-24-2011 at 05:33 PM.
Old 03-24-2011, 05:18 PM
VYPUR
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mini15235
Dang dude that looks nice, you make me feel like a slacker since I havent did anything but drive mine.

Tommy

Old 03-24-2011, 05:23 PM
Melangell
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Very nice, Larry. I'm not digging the grey/red thing either. Now you've got me thinking... DAMN MINI modding addiction!

Old 03-24-2011, 05:23 PM
Whistler NC
2nd Gear
Tommy,

Did you find a place to stay at the Dragon yet?

Old 03-24-2011, 06:33 PM
VYPUR
5th Gear
Mini15235
Not sure if I'm gonna be able to make it : ( don't think I'm gonna be able to get off work. May drive up for Friday or Saturday I live in north Alabama so not bad of a drive and if needed I have a friend that lives in Knoxville I could stay with for the day trip. I sooooo want to go and meet some of you guys and gals.

Old 03-24-2011, 07:42 PM
BoCRon
6th Gear
Wow, Larry. Looks nice. I'm thinking about a short shifter in the near future so will probably change out the shift boot then. I'll have to take a look at their stuff but so far I've been resisting.
Annette

Old 03-29-2011, 01:41 PM
Whistler NC
2nd Gear
Woo HOO....My Intake arrived today from California and I wasted no time on a 65 degree day hooking it up.

The instructions were perfect from Defenders of Speed and I had no hiccups

I have never been in a car with anything like this and let me say I had a huge smile on my face driving to get my son at the bus stop.

Just the right amount of Hissss and PsshhhhhhhhhhhhHHHHH as you give it gas and let off. Now I'm starting to really fall in mlove with "my personal racecar."

Can't wait to hit the twistys....
Larry

Attached Thumbnails New 2011 MCS Owner...going to Minis on the Dragon in MAY!!-dos-intake.jpg  
Old 03-29-2011, 01:55 PM
Melangell
6th Gear
Great, Larry!!! I've had my intake for about a week now, waiting for the predrilled firewall. I got the noise baffle like you did and am very much looking forward to installing it, hopefully this Thursday or Friday. I don't think a day has gone by that I didn't take it out of the box and fondle it a little. Question... the filter is pre-oiled isn't it? I'm seriously thinking about eventually replacing it with one from:

http://www.aemintakes.com/dryflow_air_filters.htm

Now you've got me really excited!

Old 03-29-2011, 01:57 PM
Melangell
6th Gear
Hey, thanks for the pic. It's the best I've seen of the DoS CAI installed and I'll be using it as a reference.

Old 03-29-2011, 02:02 PM
VYPUR
5th Gear
Cool I'm so jealous : )

Last edited by VYPUR; 03-29-2011 at 02:14 PM.
Old 03-29-2011, 06:15 PM
Whistler NC
2nd Gear
Melangell,

Yes the filter is pre-oiled. I asked clint about that on the phone today as a matter of fact. I was against an oiled filter after reading some posts, but he said out of hundreds of installs he has never had a complaint of the MAF getting clogged.

When you install your CAI you will see how easy it is to get to the MAF sensor and spray it with cleaner should the need ever arise.

I can tell you that I showed off the intake at our Mini club's Tues night dinner and gave a few people a 200 yard sprint in my car. We all agreed it was very tame sounding. You MAY want to leave the butterfly valve off if you really want a race car sound. I find mine is perfect.....it hisses and SHHHhhhhSSSS just right

You will find that on our brand new cars the hoses are very very stiff. I had to use quite a bit of muscle to flex the hoses back enough and get the intake to poke through the hole in the bulk head. Also, I sprayed the weatherstriping around the hole with soapy water solution I used for graphics and it made it a lot easier to slide the weather striping around and get it all looking nice and even. Just take your laptop outside and go through the PDF page by page and it is a foolproof install.

It will be nice to see you at the Dragon...

Larry

Old 03-29-2011, 06:18 PM
BoCRon
6th Gear
Don't have mine yet, should be here tomorrow or Thursday.
I'm debating getting the predrilled firewall since I'm not in a huge hurry to have it installed.
Annette

Old 03-29-2011, 06:36 PM
Melangell
6th Gear
Thanks, Larry. I had the same conversation with Clint. I'm still going to look into those dry filters. The company is now owned by K&N so... I'm an old guy like you (actually older) and don't want ROARRRRRR all the time so I'm sticking with the baffle. I guess cleaning the filter will require removing all 8 nuts...

Annette, when I read the part about the trimming you have to do after you cut the hole, I realized that paying out another $130 (after $33 shipping) was perfectly acceptable! BTW, I have you some Palmetto Brewing chocolate bock beer from Charleston (it's tasty!). Moon River here in SAV doesn't bottle.

Old 03-29-2011, 06:45 PM
Whistler NC
2nd Gear
Hey guys,

Honestly cutting the hole was a 30 second task. I took a knife and cleaned up the hanging plastic shavings and it was good to go. The "trimming" of the plastic ribs was done in 3 passes with the dremel tool. Unless you want the stock bulk head to swap out if you go in for service, just rent the drill and cut your own hole. But if you already bought it no biggie, maybe someone else will read this and learn. the instructions are really clear and easy to follow.

Melangell, Please PM me the product number from that dry filter website if you already talked to clint and ID'd the correct swap. I live on a dirt road and will be replacing my air filters more frequently.

L

Old 03-29-2011, 07:11 PM
BoCRon
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Melangell
Annette, when I read the part about the trimming you have to do after you cut the hole, I realized that paying out another $130 (after $33 shipping) was perfectly acceptable! BTW, I have you some Palmetto Brewing chocolate bock beer from Charleston (it's tasty!). Moon River here in SAV doesn't bottle.
That beer sounds dangerous! I'm all happy just thinking about it. Can't wait!

Annette

Old 03-30-2011, 12:16 PM
Laardilla21
4th Gear
I am also changing out my filter for the AEM one soon. I am not too worried about the oil thing, but it is soooo much easier to clean up. Also, with the bulkhead thing, you should not have to clean it anywhere near as often as you would with an open filter like mine.

I am also getting my new side graphics done next weekend on the 10th! I am sooooooo excited.

Old 03-30-2011, 04:47 PM
Melangell
6th Gear
Larry, I haven't figured out the part number yet. When I do, I'll PM you. On another note, don't you live in Charleston? I forgot. If you do, I asked the service rep at MINI of Chas last week what he thought of me adding the DoS CAI and eventually an Alta FMIC and his response was that colder air is always better and that he had no issue with it.

Old 04-19-2011, 06:42 PM
jomini06
Neutral
Caint Wait for MOTD... only mods to my 2011 pepper white is sports stripe...No Sun roof this time.. Ive had 2 sunroofs in the past one on my 06 chili red justa and had problems with both of them ... one of which i drove for 15 years... no sun roof for me...

Old 04-19-2011, 07:30 PM
Whistler NC
2nd Gear
Melangell,
Sorry for not responding sooner...but I missed your reply.

I got side tracked buying my Wife a 2011 chili red Clubman last week

I live in Winston-Salem, NC (actually out about 15 miles away in farmland) and FLOW Mini has been great to deal with. It probably helps that the store is in my patrol beat and I stop in all the time to say hi.

As far as the DoS intake...I spoke with Clint and advised him of the current unwritten law at MINI USA regarding them not wanting to warranty any MAF problems if they find a oiled filter. He has contacted AEM (?) and asked them to do a run of dry filters that drop in the DoS unit. If he gets a run going I will buy several right out of the gate.

A guy I had dinner with tonight in the Tar Heel club had to shell out $600 for a MAF replacement due to using an "oiled" fliter, I think an ALTA or DDM with foam outer sleeve.

We are really excited for the Dragon! It will be the first time my wife and I have been "kid free" for a while , and we are looking forward to seeing all the Minis and people.

Her Clubman is naked and she wants to get ideas of how to stripe him up!

Larry

Last edited by Whistler NC; 04-20-2011 at 06:21 AM.
Old 04-20-2011, 12:05 AM
Mini'mon
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by Mini15235
. . .

As far as the DoS intake...I spoke with Clint and advised him of the current unwritten law at MINI USA regarding them not wantingt to warranty any MAF problems if they find a oiled filter. He has contacted AEM (?) and asked them to do a run of dry filters that drop in the DoS unit. If he gets a run going I will buy several right out of the gate.

A guy I had dinenr with tonight in the Tar Heel club had to shell out $600 for a MAF replacement due to using an "oiled" fliter. . . .
Just a heads-up that filter oil will not ruin the MINI's MAF. If one does over oil their filter and throw a MAF-related CEL, you can quickly and easily clean it with CRC Mass Air Flow Sensor cleaner. We have had a few customers clean and then over oil their filter and contact us about the issue. The CRC product took care of the issue and spared them from an unnecessary MAF replacement.

To eliminate the possibility of over oiling a filter, we have indeed contacted AEM/K&N to make a lifetime use, cleanable dryflow filter element for us. Even though K&N will go to bat for any customer that gets hassled by MINI, we'll be offering a dry filter option to those that want it -- most likely by mid summer 2011.

Best,

-Clint

Old 04-20-2011, 06:23 AM
Whistler NC
2nd Gear
As far as I know Clint my buddy DID try and spray his MAF and clean it up but nothing seemed to help. I have heard of a lot of people out there running K&N filters and not having any problems, so hopefully I will be fine.

Larry

Old 04-20-2011, 08:48 AM
Mini'mon
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by Mini15235
As far as I know Clint my buddy DID try and spray his MAF and clean it up but nothing seemed to help. I have heard of a lot of people out there running K&N filters and not having any problems, so hopefully I will be fine.

Larry
Yup,

There are some cheapo, low quality aftermarket filters out there that use poor quality filter oil and filter media. I can only vouch for K&N, as that's our supplier for the 2nd Gen DoS CAI and some upcoming R53 goodies. We've had no problems with K&N.

-Clint