1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

questions from a prospective owner

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2010, 07:36 PM
ojannen
2nd Gear
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
questions from a prospective owner

I am comparing a used 2007+ mini cooper s against the mark V GTI. I am having some trouble finding the answer to these two questions.

Are there any aftermarket pedals that increase the space between the gas and brake pedals? I wear a size 15 6E shoe and there is just barely enough room to press the brake and clutch pedals without also pressing the gas pedal. I am concerned that in an emergency braking situation, I would accidentally press the gas pedal by mistake. I have not found any driving shoes that are wide enough for my feet and all the aftermarket pedal sets I have found do not mention any extra horizontal room.

Two requirements in the car that I buy are cruise control and no sun roof. I sit far enough back in both the mini and the gti that my head is farther back than the end of the sunroof. I lose several inches of headroom which makes the car feel significantly smaller. The problem is that it looks like both the multifunction steering wheel and the sunroof come (came?) in the premium package. Is it common to see used minis with the steering wheel and no premium package? Is there a year that looks more promising?

Old 12-10-2010, 11:49 AM
ojannen
2nd Gear
Does anyone have thoughts about the brake pedal spacing issue?

Old 12-14-2010, 11:05 PM
BensMini
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Don't see any way to change the pedal spacing without modifying the pedal arm, and if you move it too far left then you may have clutch interence issues.

Should be able to find a MINI without the premium package.

Old 12-15-2010, 04:06 AM
yetti96
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Are you looking at an Auto or a manual? I know with my dress shoes on the left side of the shoe when on the gas pedal is close to thew brake, but never have I hit the gas when trying to brake. If you got an auto you could probably swap the brake pedal from a manual to the auto as they are much narrower. If you get the manual, I don't see an issue with the brake/gas interface. I wear a 15-17 in a normal width.

Old 12-15-2010, 05:38 AM
ojannen
2nd Gear
I am looking at a manual transmission. The problem I had when test driving the mini was when pressing the clutch and brake at the same time. The right side of my right shoe rubs the gas pedal with my feet adjusted as far to the left as possible.

My shoes are 6E wide, considerably wider than a standard C or D width.

Are there any aftermarket replacement gas pedals that are not as wide? Is it possible to make the dead pedal narrower or is it solid underneath?

Old 12-15-2010, 06:22 AM
klricks
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My '10 Clubman came with MFSW with cruise control standard. I don't have any package options. Not sure when the MFSW became standard?

I do have a sunroof but don't see that there would be any significant difference in headroom with or without.

Old 12-15-2010, 07:15 AM
ojannen
2nd Gear
I am 6'6" and the problem with the sunroof is that when sitting comfortably, my head is in the section of roof between the two sunroofs. This portion of the roof is lower than the standard roof although the sections under glass may be higher. I fit ok but I would rather have the extra inch or two of headroom and avoid vacuuming the ceiling every time I get a haircut.

I have been looking through some of the national used car dealers and haven't found a 2007 or 2008 model with no premium package and a mfsw. On the miniusa site, the mfsw is included in the car configuration page. Any ideas on when it became standard?

Old 12-15-2010, 07:26 AM
DooBahDoo
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've had MINI's with and without the sunroof and I may be mistaken about the actual dimensions but both cars had the dip in the roof and I believe it's because there is a support beam. I'm not sure that the dip is the same dimension but a dealer should be able to answer that question for you. I don't have any idea what you could do to increase the distance between the pedals without creating other issues. The pedals are very close and I'm average I guess, 5'11", 175#, size 11 shoe. Good Luck. I hope you find exactly what you're looking for and that it "fits" to enhance your life like only a MINI can.