1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Week 36 (8/31-9/6/2009) Support Group

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2009, 02:39 PM
Third Wave
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Be a rebel, back out till December like me.
You don't want to settle do ya?

Do ya?

Old 09-02-2009, 03:33 PM
clockworktomato
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Third Wave
Be a rebel, back out till December like me.
You don't want to settle do ya?

Do ya?

Funny thing is, the upgraded stereo wasn't actually in my initial '09 build; I was just planning to go aftermarket with something nice from Crutchfield. So without the H/K I technically wouldn't be settling, but now that I had the promise of it I keep thinking that it sure would be nice to have....

At this point I'm tempted to just TRY to "go with the flow" on this and get my car whenever I get my car. In another month I'm not going to care about my Kia's non-functioning A/C, and the tax savings is going to be the same for me now as it would in December/January, since I'll just be claiming the sales tax in the usual itemized deductions spot.

But DANG I'm ready to have this car. Every MINI I see motoring along on the road is just taunting me! (Okay, okay, I've been counting MINIs for about three years now, but I SWEAR I've seen twice as many ever since I put in that order.)

Old 09-02-2009, 09:02 PM
Third Wave
2nd Gear
We have an amazingly similar situation. I can empathize.

Old 09-03-2009, 12:10 AM
10Zero
5th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
I'm done and on the way to the port, Whoo Hoo !!!!

Old 09-03-2009, 06:43 AM
clockworktomato
2nd Gear
AWESOME news, 10Zero! Looks like your MINI is eager to be one of the first '10s on the road! :D

Old 09-03-2009, 09:01 AM
clockworktomato
2nd Gear
Well, confirmed by my MA that my MINI is on hold b/c of the H/K code, so my options are the same we've discussed. Remove the stereo and continue production or wait until December.

I think I know what I want to do, but I'm going to see if I can gather some more info for myself and for the other upcoming '10 purchasers. Since I still don't have pricing information I obviously want to make certain that I won't be paying the same price today for the stock stereo that I'd be paying in December for the upgrade. Doubtful, I'm sure, but it never hurts to check!

Old 09-03-2009, 11:18 AM
Yossarian
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by 10Zero
I'm done and on the way to the port, Whoo Hoo !!!!
I hate 'me too' posts, but I have to say 'me too' in this case

Old 09-03-2009, 08:56 PM
Third Wave
2nd Gear
The HK on it's own is $750.

Old 09-03-2009, 09:41 PM
pennysfbay
2nd Gear
clockworktomato, I guess I need to confirm with my MA that the stereo isn't holding up mine as well. We discussed it and removed it, and it doesn't show up in the build codes sheet she sent me....but what else could be taking so long? Yeah, week 37 seems optimistic to me now too...

Old 09-04-2009, 08:54 AM
pennysfbay
2nd Gear
YES!!!!! I just called again and spoke to a guy who told me that as of this morning at 7 something, my vehicle started production! Whoo-hoo! Does that still make me a Week 36er? I'm super excited now!

Old 09-04-2009, 09:45 AM
clockworktomato
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by pennysfbay
YES!!!!! I just called again and spoke to a guy who told me that as of this morning at 7 something, my vehicle started production!
YAY!!!!!

As soon as my MA gets back to me with the specifics on mine, maybe mine can roll on along, as I'm pretty sure I'm just going to remove the H/K code and proceed with my build. Will you guys still let me pretend I'm a Week 36-er? :D

Old 09-04-2009, 12:03 PM
10Zero
5th Gear
Personally I think both of you should have been a 36er all along anyway, not your fault they held up the fun because of an option code. And when you look at the original bulletin, Mini said they'd drop the code and it was up to the buyer to request it be held til a Dec build...not the other way around.

So if you're asking me, I think you both should sty with us here in 36. I'm pretty confident Penny will be on the same boat as me headed to the west coast, where you headed clock?

And really, the standard stereo can be made to sound pretty darn good with a little attention. Speaker changes and a powered sub in the back, and it's all I personally need. I was going to order a 2010 anyway, the H/K announcement was just a bonus. But now I'm just back to my original vision....no biggie.

Old 09-04-2009, 12:08 PM
10Zero
5th Gear
BTW...I'm sitting on the dock now...so hurry up guys! When you get here, I'm the all red one looking cool as hell (as I talk like I'm the car)

Old 09-04-2009, 01:45 PM
k3v1n
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
10Zero - does your still say "waiting for production" in owners lounge? I'm wondering if mine its on its way too, but thats what it says in my OL. I know the info can be a little outdated, so I'm not sure.

Old 09-04-2009, 02:55 PM
pennysfbay
2nd Gear
How long does it take them to build a car? About a week? I'm wondering when I'm going to get to the dock, and if I'll be on the same boat with any of you. Is there a posted shipping schedule? I'll be on a boat to Southern California.

Old 09-04-2009, 03:08 PM
clockworktomato
2nd Gear
Yay! I don't want to branch out into a Week 37 (or, gasp, 38! Nooo!) thread! I was just starting to get the seat warm here!

Personally I think both of you should have been a 36er all along anyway, not your fault they held up the fun because of an option code. And when you look at the original bulletin, Mini said they'd drop the code and it was up to the buyer to request it be held til a Dec build...not the other way around.
I'd wondered about that! I thought I'd read that somewhere, too, but couldn't recall.

Mine is headed to Nashville, TN, so I expect I'll be heading into the Brunswick, GA VDC, so I will at least only have to endure the (relatively-speaking) short trip across the Atlantic once they start building mine.

I think I may have a possible name, too. Sriracha, as in that spicy red Thai chili sauce. Because if there are two things my MINI will be, it's spicy and chili red!

And really, the standard stereo can be made to sound pretty darn good with a little attention.
Awesome!! That was one of the questions I had for my MA -- reviews on the stock stereo and what kind of upgrades I might find necessary for it, etc. I wouldn't really consider myself a complete audiophile, but I do like to have a nice stereo system. So I'd probably be okay with the standard stereo for a little while, but I do *constantly* listen to music, and a lot of it of all different genres and volumes. I can also be easily spoiled by "nice things," so if I had the H/K system to start with, there's no way I'd ever be able to go back to standard. But I figure the standard stereo model *has* to be better than what's in my Kia right now. :P

Old 09-04-2009, 03:14 PM
pennysfbay
2nd Gear
I just love all of these Chili Red cars! Mine is going to be called "Ginger", after Ginger Spice, since she's a spicy little British redhead! (And because I'm old school like that... )

Old 09-04-2009, 03:53 PM
10Zero
5th Gear
Originally Posted by k3v1n
10Zero - does your still say "waiting for production" in owners lounge? I'm wondering if mine its on its way too, but thats what it says in my OL. I know the info can be a little outdated, so I'm not sure.
It did for the longest time, even though Ask Mini was reporting different. It was just yesterday it changed to Awaiting Transport.

Old 09-04-2009, 03:56 PM
10Zero
5th Gear
How long does it take them to build a car? About a week? I'm wondering when I'm going to get to the dock, and if I'll be on the same boat with any of you. Is there a posted shipping schedule? I'll be on a boat to Southern California.
I think build time is somewhere around 4-5 days. I'm gonna be sitting at the dock for awhile, waiting on my buddies. The next ship to sail that has a destination of the west coast, as far as I can determine, is the Morning Caroline due to set sail from Southampton on Sept 11. So I think you'll be with me on this ship.

Old 09-04-2009, 07:11 PM
araamir
Neutral
The next ship to sail that has a destination of the west coast, as far as I can determine, is the Morning Caroline due to set sail from Southampton on Sept 11.
Morning Caroline is to set sail from Southampton on Sept 15. It is due to arrive into Port Hueneme on Oct 5. The schedule has been updated recently; until recently it was showing a departure of Sept 11.

I guess my MINI will also be on this boat; it is in the paint shop today and it has sufficient time to make it to the dock.

Old 09-04-2009, 07:19 PM
RayRatt
4th Gear
Once your car is in production, it takes 8 or 9 days. It takes 4 or 5 days to gather the parts. One day in the body shop (where the robots weld the parts together), one day in the paint shop, one day for final assembly, and a day for QC inspections and getting the car to the dock (if a ship is there or soon to arrive - otherwise, you get parked in a lot at the factory). Also, the factory is usually shut down on Sunday - I think it usually operates on Saturday.

Do not rely on the information at the Owners' Lounge - it is 24 to 48 hours late. The recorded message at ASK-MINI is updated just once a day, so it is usually a day late. The live person at ASK-MINI customer relations has the best info, but they are only open weekdays from 9 am to 9 pm EDT.

Old 09-04-2009, 08:10 PM
Y2K Falcon
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by RayRatt
one day in the paint shop

Old 09-04-2009, 09:28 PM
UAL_Kingpin
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Y2K Falcon
It was more like four days. Started painting on Friday; Workers left for the weekend; Came back to finish up on Monday.

Old 09-05-2009, 12:02 AM
k3v1n
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yay!! Just called ASK MINI and it said my car is at the port awaiting shipment!

Old 09-05-2009, 09:32 AM
pennysfbay
2nd Gear
*bites nails* My estimated completion date is September 14th.....but I soooo want to be on that Sept. 15th boat!

Quick Reply: Week 36 (8/31-9/6/2009) Support Group