Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

R56 Engine Reduced Power

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2016, 11:34 PM
AJoelj84
Neutral
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
R56 Engine Reduced Power

Hi, So I have been looking through this forum for almost 2 months now trying to locate info that might help me, with no success, hope maybe someone might be able to help.

My Wifes Turbo R56, had been having issues with sputtering and stalling at lights, check engine light came of for a misfire on the 3 and 4 cylinder. At that point I read a post on here about various sensors like MAF and Boost Pressure sensors being dirty causing this problem. So I cleaned the MAF, and both Pressure Sensors, the O2 sensors, Problem went away, check engine light cleared itself out, car was fine for almost 6 months.

Now 6 months later same exact problem, and the addition of the Reduced Power Light.... So I repeat same steps, with no luck. Look to this Forum again to see what might be causing problems.

So... The car is only boosting to 2-3 psi under load (with me giving it a heavy foot) and I realize this could be the computer preventing boost as well.

Before that I had checked the Timing Chain, and replaced the valve cover gasket since I was in there and it hasn't been done in the 80,000 miles since the car was bought.

Then checked the Turbo for shaft play, went so far as to take it off and take it apart. Put everything back together again... nothing new same light as soon as I start the car.

Also have checked fuel pressure to make sure it wasn't the High pressure Pump.

Basically just went through the list of possible causes I have seen on this forum for this light being on.

Also found the Hidden Menu and the car had 3 Fault codes stored, but I havent been able to find any info on how to read these.

In need of dire help to get my wifes car back to running normal, any help would be greatly appreciated, thank you.

Old 09-15-2016, 06:42 AM
MiniToBe
6th Gear
Received 427 Likes on 393 Posts
hi, to help us help you, we need to know what codes come up through a scanner. if there is a near autozone they'll do it for free.
when you too the cover off, did you feel the chain? was anything broken? also, can you check the timing of the car? (bring two straws and place them in cylinder 1 and 2, rotate the engine CLOCK wise until the two are level with cylinder 1 straw coming up while cylinder 2 going down. notice the writing on the cams facing up or looking at where the cam locking tools sit.) take a picture.
finally, does the car start at all?

Old 09-15-2016, 01:59 PM
AJoelj84
Neutral
Car does start and runs, runs as if it has no boost, the codes present as i already said were misfire codes, but specifically cylinders 3 & 4, but since having cleared they will not come back. When I had the valve cover off i checked the chain, nice and tight no breaks or cracks in any of the tensioners. Have not checked timing, since the car still runs, I have been driving it since we have a 2 month old and neither of us can be without a car at the moment, just been working on it on my days off.

Edit: also may be worth mentioning, it had the recall for chain done around 60,000 miles and turbo replaced at same time, car has 84,000 on it now, wife has only put about 10,000 miles on it since she got it 2 years ago

Old 09-15-2016, 02:12 PM
MiniToBe
6th Gear
So you are saying there is no check engine light at the moment? Or half engine light?
Did you check your antifreeze level and oil?

Old 09-15-2016, 03:23 PM
AJoelj84
Neutral
No check engine light now, but there is a half engine power light on the steering wheel cluster. Oil and antifreeze levels are good.

Old 12-08-2016, 08:44 PM
piotrus22
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by AJoelj84
No check engine light now, but there is a half engine power light on the steering wheel cluster. Oil and antifreeze levels are good.
hi did you ever get this fixed? i'm having the same problem and don't know where to start... half engine light on and car seems fine...

Old 12-09-2016, 03:14 AM
MiniToBe
6th Gear
Try to disconnect and reconnect one coil pack at a time and notice if the engine sound changes.

Old 12-09-2016, 02:53 PM
AJoelj84
Neutral
Originally Posted by piotrus22
hi did you ever get this fixed? i'm having the same problem and don't know where to start... half engine light on and car seems fine...
Mine ended up being a vacuum line buried deep on backside of motor was oily and broken down

Old 12-24-2017, 08:00 AM
cjv2
5th Gear
Received 287 Likes on 231 Posts
Mine ended up being a vacuum line buried deep on backside of motor was oily and broken down
Can you offer any further detail on "backside of motor?" I'm going through my engine bay and checking vacuum hoses -- any detail would be wicked helpful. I know this was a while ago but good thread

Old 12-24-2017, 08:44 AM
AJoelj84
Neutral
Originally Posted by cjv2
Can you offer any further detail on "backside of motor?" I'm going through my engine bay and checking vacuum hoses -- any detail would be wicked helpful. I know this was a while ago but good thread
There is a Valve body of some sort under the intake on the backside of the engine, I dont know what its called as this is my wifes car and fortunatley havent had to touch the car since. Anyhow the vacuum lines going to this valve were dry rotting, replaced them and it fixed the problem, Hope this helps somewhat.

The following users liked this post:
cjv2 (12-24-2017)
Old 12-24-2017, 09:58 AM
cjv2
5th Gear
Received 287 Likes on 231 Posts
There is a Valve body of some sort under the intake on the backside of the engine, I dont know what its called as this is my wifes car and fortunatley havent had to touch the car since. Anyhow the vacuum lines going to this valve were dry rotting, replaced them and it fixed the problem, Hope this helps somewhat.
That actually helps quite a bit. I had the intake manifold off a couple of weeks ago to handle replacing the coolant pipe that runs from the thermostat to the water pump, so I got a good look back there and can disassemble/reassemble with relative ease. Your detail tells me where to look around with greater precision. Thanks so much!