Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Boiling Coolant but them gage is right in the middle

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2010, 07:03 PM
catwlcd
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Boiling Coolant but them gage is right in the middle

Hello all, im having a issue with my girlfriend's 2004 mini non s with 64k on it, she called me out to her car 2 days ago to check out a funny sound, open the hood and her coolant res was boiling, but the temp gage read right in the middle. let the car cool down and there was no coolant left in the res, so i filled it and she was fine yesterday, but today same issue with the temp gage still reading in the middle and no over heat warning on the dash, i noticed the fan was not running. I checked all the fuses and ps fan to make sure it was not obstructed, the motor seems to be pulling in the coolant so i does not seem to be the pump or the thermostat, im thinking it is her fan itself or fan switch? any help would be great.
Thank you

Old 05-19-2010, 08:17 PM
-=gRaY rAvEn=-
Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts
That guage will only read otherwise when it's too late and the engine seizes up.....strange but true. If you want a set of accurate guages, get a Scanguage II some time. Good investment.

Sounds like you need a new fan assembly. Most of my club members have been buying the TYC brand assemblies off of Ebay for under 100 dollars delivered, and one place in particular give a life time warranty.

http://massmotoringclub.com/index.php?topic=2490.0

Old 05-20-2010, 05:35 AM
catwlcd
Neutral
Thank you, ill be ordering one today, quick question, on your post you only talk about the slow speed fan starting up with her car neither speed comes on...same problem im guessing? Again thank you for the info!

Old 05-20-2010, 06:52 AM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts
If the hi-speed fan is functioning, the car should get very hot....but not overheat...it will turn on, and prevent overheating (if there is enough coolant for it to remove the heat from the motor, and get it to the radiator).
Since most MINI's have the low speed fan problem, it is likely you have this problem......the temp in about the middle with no fan on is not necessarily a problem...it is about normal operating temp...IF the AC is not on....the fan may/may not run (he fan should be running continuously on low IF the AC is on...if it has failed, the hi may cycle on and off).
The fact that she heard steam venting from the car on a previous time, and there was no coolant in the resivour, indicates the car was running low on coolant, and the coolant that was left was "quenching" some very hot metal when it did touch it, and cool it....not a very good sign. If the car was run that low on coolant...you might want to ensure the cooling system is full, then do a quick bleed, and get the bubbles out....if the system has an bubble in it,it could run hot.
Keep an eye on the coolant and oil levels over the next few weeks, and watch for anything odd...
If you had a Scanguage, you could see the exact temp that is being reported, and compare that to if the fan is on like it should be.....a nice item to have as previously said.

Old 05-20-2010, 05:48 PM
catwlcd
Neutral
Want to send a thanks out for the help, it was in-fact the fan, did the ac test and the high speed fan would kick on and turn off, stop and kick on again. I did as suggested picked up the TYC with the warranty, and even picked up the ScangageII...letting her use it for a bit till i get the fan in then its going in my Jetta, Thanks again for all the help and info!

Old 05-21-2010, 06:26 AM
JumpingJackFlash
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
You can opt for an aftermarket brand of antifreeze, but I recommend sticking with the BMW brand. It does cost $20 per gallon, but you still get two gallons when mixed 50/50. Any BMW dealership should carry it, so if one is closer than the MINI dealership, you can go there instead.

Old 10-28-2014, 11:56 PM
Shakabie
Neutral
I have the same problem with my mini cooper 01

My mini cooper 01 coolant water was boiling too and the fan wasnt working unless the Ac was on
So i changed the water temperature sensor and the fan started working
But the coolant water is still boiling
And when the fan goes on the water stops boiling and when the fan goes off it starts boiling again :/ help?!!

Old 10-31-2014, 05:05 AM
Minir53love
Neutral
My r53 has this

My r53 bubbles and get that much pressure that eventually it's starts to come out, I have bled it twice, but all that comes out is like rust or something that makes the clean water I flush with orange, then carries on boiling it while running, I drove 50 miles and when I got there I could see the heat coming off my engine, and when it cooled a little, there was no coolant but it would not start, I just had to top it up with water and it started but still boiled, probably don't help that I have no heat shield beneath either but what is the Orange water all about? I'm in a cooper s 2003