Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

05 R53 Rear Wiper Parking Problem

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2009, 10:24 AM
Frank A
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
05 R53 Rear Wiper Parking Problem

Hi,
I did some searching, but could not find an answer. When I turn on the rear wiper, it makes its starting cycle and then stops at a random spot instead of parking where it should. When it makes its interval swipe, it still stops at a random spot. If I turn it off, then on and then back off quickly, it will park properly after making one swipe. Has anyone seen this problem before? Will the motor need to be replaced or is the parking circuit separate from the motor?
Thanks in advance,
Frank

Old 11-24-2009, 12:08 PM
CanyonChaser
1st Gear
Sounds like the splines between the motor and the wiper arm could be stripped out. Likely a new wiper arm would solve the problem. But this is just a guess. Had this happen once to a Chevy Nova I had years ago.

dp

Old 11-24-2009, 04:44 PM
Frank A
Neutral
CanyonChaser,
Thanks, but the wiper arm is tight on the shaft.....

Old 11-25-2009, 09:29 AM
CanyonChaser
1st Gear
Whats the next cheapest component that could have failed? The switch? A relay?

Start with cheap components and work your way up to the expensive ones.

dp

Old 01-02-2010, 07:15 PM
fguillont
Neutral
i have the exact same problem if you find anything let me know

Old 03-16-2011, 10:42 PM
minifreek
Neutral
Hi There
I have a July 2004 Mini Cooper (2005 ish).
I as well just started having the same problem last week now it happens everyday when it rains. The wiper does one full motion then it sticks everywhere on every cycle everytime. Another problem showed up the next couple days later. My rear hatch lock now stopped working as well. Sometime I will close the rear hatch and it closed but then seconds later it pops open. Then another time when I stopped the car I heard the rear hatch lock go off like a machine gun, clicking over and over until it finally stopped some 30 seconds later. Then I could not close the hatch at all it would not catch. Then I had to drive with the hatch door down but still open. And my dash light on telling me that my rear hatch was open. Then I went to park for the night and now my interior light will not go off automatically after a short time so I have to go into the car and physically turn it off. Other times I will park the car and then I hear the hatch randomly clicking every second or 2. Has anyone had these problems? Also my engine light came on the same day and does not go off now. I am wondering if they are all related to a relay or something. We have been having a great deal of rain the last few weeks so I wonder if moisture has gotten into somewhere and is causing all the problems. The wiper was the first of the problems and everyday I seem to get more and more like today my CD player skipping on every track no matter what CD I put in. Obviously I will have to go to the dealer but I was wondering if anyone had to have these problems fixed and if it was covered under warrenty or not. I bought extended warrenty up to 160 000 kms. So mine is still going, but not sure if any of this is covered.
Thanks

Old 03-17-2011, 06:09 PM
06MINI-LNDS8PER
1st Gear
Maybe related

So this won't help your question but I am having rear wiper issues too. 2006 Cooper.

When I turn my Rear wiper on it just keep wiping (instead of just wiping 3 times and then delay setting) and when I turned it off (after about 10 passes) and it wiped at least 5 more times before it stopped in the middle of the wiper.

Any Ideas on what it could be??
I have an appointment with the dealer for what I can only assume will be covered under warranty, but thought I could hopefully go in without being completely clueless.
The Tech I book with appointment with thought maybe a relay.

Thanks
Cam

Old 03-18-2011, 05:00 PM
mciri
2nd Gear
Rear Wiper Confusion

Originally Posted by Frank A
Hi,
I did some searching, but could not find an answer. When I turn on the rear wiper, it makes its starting cycle and then stops at a random spot instead of parking where it should. When it makes its interval swipe, it still stops at a random spot. If I turn it off, then on and then back off quickly, it will park properly after making one swipe. Has anyone seen this problem before? Will the motor need to be replaced or is the parking circuit separate from the motor?
Thanks in advance,
Frank
I'm also having this problem. It seemed to happen about the same time that I had to remove and recharge my battery... possibly related or not.

To be clear, the wipers *seem* to work fine at first. I can click them on, spray washer fluid, etc. They always make a few wipes and then stop in a random spot. They will not move again until I turn the switch on and off.

Any suggestions would be most appreciated!

Old 03-18-2011, 05:23 PM
06MINI-LNDS8PER
1st Gear
Wiper Fix

OK, so after only but question hopeful I have an answer that may help some people.

So after a trip to the dealer they did some diagnostic and thus decided to look into the Body Control Module. As mentioned to me by another user on a local club forum the location of these (in the foot wells) are prone to moisture as well as any leaks from the roof drain tube. The dealer agreed that this could be an issue but upon inspection the area was dry and moisture was not the issue.

They moved onto inspecting the motor itself and they tested induvidualy and found it connections to be faulty. They replaced the motor and its all good now.

No idea on cost as this was covered under MININext.

Hope this helps
Cam