Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

Vibration Rattle Is Driving Me Nuts...

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2008, 03:32 PM
WetNoseRanch
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vibration Rattle Is Driving Me Nuts...

Ok, agreed that going nuts is a short ride but this "rattle" which really sounds like plastic pieces vibrating happens mostly on rough freeway concrete. It started out having to be just the right type of pavement to make it happen but yesterday I had it almost all the way home on a 40 mile drive

It sounds like it's coming from the right side door or the right side of the passenger seat. I've almost driven off the road trying to figure out what it is, I swear it's getting worse.

I've pushed and pulled on almost everything I can think off to no effect.

I know that if I take it to the dealer (which is 90 minutes away) I will get one of those "cannot duplicate" statements - been there, done that with other cars.

Anyone have any ideas or have this happen to them? This is not a mild buzz now and then but a persistent vibration rattle (at certain speeds or surfaces).

Old 03-24-2008, 03:37 PM
funkdaddy
2nd Gear
Yeah, I get this too. It is the plastic pieces that make up the door interior. Mine is slowly getting less and less worse... how many miles on yours?

Old 03-24-2008, 03:44 PM
emtrey
5th Gear
try under dash on passenger side--I found a vibrating panel under the dash that made me crazy. I pushed some soft sided velcro in between the panels and the noise vanished. Even thoight it was underneath, it sounded like a dash rattle. see picture below

Old 03-24-2008, 03:46 PM
ENGINE 58
5th Gear
sometimes it can be the seat belts in the rear seats. they can rattle on the hard plastic sides of the interior. mine was doing this and i just put the seat belt clip all the way up and used the lil plastic holder to keep them there.

Old 03-24-2008, 04:00 PM
rattmobbins
6th Gear
Welcome to the world of quirky British cars.

Rattle free is never mentioned in MINI advertising you'll notice.

Old 03-24-2008, 04:14 PM
Charlie Croker
3rd Gear
Several options and solutions come to mind, but might seem to be insensitive to your problem, like wear ear plugs, or get a really loud exhaust, but my favorite is to turn my freaking music up above the rattle.

But to quote rattmobbins:

Welcome to the world of quirky British cars.
The dealer will never find the buzz. I have one coming from the same area that you discribe and I'm going to try emtrey's idea first!

Good luck and let us know how it turns out!

Old 03-24-2008, 04:23 PM
r56mini
6th Gear
rattles are often caused by the bundles of wires inside rubbing against the inside surface.

Old 03-24-2008, 04:55 PM
jimmy_racoon
3rd Gear
Received 28 Likes on 11 Posts
Take her in...

My '05 Cooper had a similar issue. On the second cross country trip, we decided it was too much to tolerate. Rattle, squeeks, vibrations...whatever you call it, it was distracting from our motoring fun!

Took her into the dealer along with a couple minor issues. They knew of the problem, didn't question it, and proceeded to sound-proof the MINI. It was unbelieveable what a difference it made! They put velcro and spacers in and around the dash, etc.

Best yet, it was considered warranty and cost me nothing!

Worth a try...motor on.

Old 03-24-2008, 05:05 PM
WetNoseRanch
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by funkdaddy
Yeah, I get this too. It is the plastic pieces that make up the door interior. Mine is slowly getting less and less worse... how many miles on yours?
About 1500. The rattle started just a couple of hundred miles ago.

Old 03-24-2008, 05:06 PM
WetNoseRanch
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by emtrey
try under dash on passenger side--I found a vibrating panel under the dash that made me crazy. I pushed some soft sided velcro in between the panels and the noise vanished. Even thoight it was underneath, it sounded like a dash rattle. see picture below
Thanks! I'll try that one right away - it does sound like its in the dash except when it sounds by the door, or the seat, or the....

Old 03-24-2008, 05:07 PM
WetNoseRanch
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by jimmy_racoon
My '05 Cooper had a similar issue. On the second cross country trip, we decided it was too much to tolerate. Rattle, squeeks, vibrations...whatever you call it, it was distracting from our motoring fun!

Took her into the dealer along with a couple minor issues. They knew of the problem, didn't question it, and proceeded to sound-proof the MINI. It was unbelieveable what a difference it made! They put velcro and spacers in and around the dash, etc.

Best yet, it was considered warranty and cost me nothing!

Worth a try...motor on.
Wow - you have a great dealer!

Old 03-24-2008, 05:08 PM
WetNoseRanch
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by ENGINE 58
sometimes it can be the seat belts in the rear seats. they can rattle on the hard plastic sides of the interior. mine was doing this and i just put the seat belt clip all the way up and used the lil plastic holder to keep them there.
Yeah, I tried that because I thought the same thing - and did the same thing....

Smart minds think alike.

Old 03-24-2008, 08:28 PM
Benibiker
6th Gear
Received 36 Likes on 25 Posts
I have the same problem but it's dependent on temperature for me, in the cool mornings it makes the sound and during mid day it's gone. You pretty much need to get a passenger to ride with you or have them drive your car while you search for that evil dirty rattle/buzz

Old 03-24-2008, 08:45 PM
pyskacz
3rd Gear
My R55 has developed the rattle lately also ...it has 1500 miles on it. I definitely will have to try the velcro idea, before I take it to the dealer. I did notice when I turn the radio volume up past a certain point-it does disappear

Old 03-24-2008, 09:45 PM
gjhsu
5th Gear
Another thing to try (my car does this):

My door lock (the little BMW nipple thing that sticks out the top of the door) rattles on rough roads, so I just lock the door, and it stops. I guess the little plastic cap that makes up the door lock is just BARELY loose from whatever metal is underneath it to cause this.

My other plastic rattle that I fixed this weekend was the knee panel under the steering wheel. I just shoved it a bit to reseat the clips and all is good.

Old 03-25-2008, 09:37 AM
pyskacz
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by gjhsu
Another thing to try (my car does this):

My door lock (the little BMW nipple thing that sticks out the top of the door) rattles on rough roads, so I just lock the door, and it stops. I guess the little plastic cap that makes up the door lock is just BARELY loose from whatever metal is underneath it to cause this.

My other plastic rattle that I fixed this weekend was the knee panel under the steering wheel. I just shoved it a bit to reseat the clips and all is good.
Guess this is one more thing that I'll have to try.

Old 04-01-2008, 07:56 AM
D3m0N
Coordinator :: Eastern Iowa MINIs
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I removed a dash rattle by simply removing the torx bits from either side of the top dash panel removing the panel and placing a piece of an old blanket up on top before replacing the dash.

50 more rattles to go

Old 07-05-2008, 07:05 AM
orangecrush
6th Gear
Well??? An update for the rest of us? LOL

I just turned 2K miles and noticed on a trip to Charleston that I have a dash "buzzing/rattle"

Where's the mad smilie???

Thanks

Old 07-05-2008, 12:12 PM
miniclubman
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I also have a dashboard rattle, and I'm pretty sure it's coming from the right dash vent assembly. There's a large round plastic piece at the extreme right edge of the dashboard, near the passenger door. You need to have the passenger door open to see it. If I gently push on that piece it makes the exact creaking/squeaking sound I hear when driving over rough pavement. Actually, the whole right dashboard vent assembly may be squeaking/creaking, but the round plastic panel is my main suspect as of now. I'll have the dealer check it out next week, I'm already scheduled for a different service.

Old 07-06-2008, 04:17 PM
npalao
2nd Gear
I have a very loud rattle coming from the engine compartment, the dealer could not find anything after 2 months with the car and several SERIOUS parts changed. Still there. Another one just developed by the driver door, just found out 5 minutes ago that the window is moving very slightly in and out on rough roads. I am looking for the solution. Try that!

Old 07-06-2008, 04:32 PM
orangecrush
6th Gear
Originally Posted by npalao
I have a very loud rattle coming from the engine compartment, the dealer could not find anything after 2 months with the car and several SERIOUS parts changed. Still there. Another one just developed by the driver door, just found out 5 minutes ago that the window is moving very slightly in and out on rough roads. I am looking for the solution. Try that!
You'll have to look it up but I read something about a service bulletin about a window. Perhaps someone else can give you more info but if not, check with the dealer.

HTH's,

Mark

Old 07-06-2008, 05:27 PM
npalao
2nd Gear
Thanks OJCrush! I have looked at a couple of those, but they mainly focus on squeaky windows. Mine is a light rattling sound. Stupid dealer told me that the seal around the door was worn. Today while detailing the car I noticed the rattle when I wiggled the window while the door was opened. The other side is nice and tight!

Old 07-06-2008, 06:21 PM
orangecrush
6th Gear
Sounds to me like the glass needs to be adjusted. Too bad you're not in NC. You could drive it to my bodyshop, I'd adjust it for you.

Good luck.

Mark

Old 07-07-2008, 07:14 AM
npalao
2nd Gear
It has been adjusted 3 times man! First dummies changed the entire electric assembly, but left the window not properly adjusted, second time around was just adjustment, which left the window nice and even and flush, but with the rattle even worse. I am ordering the snap fasteners for the trim, and will check it myself. The snaps need to be changed anyway, some are loose. Do you know how many there are and if they just snap out by pulling them (the bottom ones)? I think the upper part just slides upward once the bottom ones are out. Thanks.

Old 07-11-2008, 06:19 PM
miniclubman
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Rattle: Fixed!

The creaking that developed on the right side of my dashboard a couple of weeks ago was fixed by the dealer today. It was something in the right dashboard vent assembly, a plastic-on-plastic creaking whenever I went over a rough patch of road. Habberstad MINI took care of it, and when I hit a nice rough patch on the way home - no creaking!

Quick Reply: Vibration Rattle Is Driving Me Nuts...