Navigation & Audio Bring your GPS and favorite CD or MP3. This is where navigation and audio options for the Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs are discussed.

Navigation & Audio [eas] Official DICE iPod integration kit Q/A thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2007, 11:42 PM
tom @ eas
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
[eas] Official DICE iPod integration kit Q/A thread

This thread will be for questions regarding the Dice iPod integration kit for your BMW. Questions regarding features, compatibility, installation and bug reports can be submitted to this thread.

DICE iPod Integration Kit for MINI Cooper (Trunk Interface Kit)
http://www.europeanautosource.com/pr...roducts_id=314

DICE iPod Integration Kit for MINI Cooper (Radio Interface Kit)
http://www.europeanautosource.com/pr...roducts_id=629

Product Description:

Connect your iPod to your vehicle's factory entertainment system and hear what your iPod should sound like in your MINI. CD-quality sound and controls from your radio, steering wheel or the iPod. Always keeps your iPod charged and ready to go.

The DICE iPod integration kit will also display text from your iPod onto your MINIs radio/Navigation display allowing you to view Artist, Song title and Album name!

A clean factory looking installation is possible with our sleek iPod docking cable, allowing full connectivity for all iPods utilizing a dock connector.

Our hard-wired kit connects right to the cd changer connectors already present in your BMW. The DICE module transfers information between the iPod and radio through a dock cable or our upcoming video cradle.

New features of DICE iPod Integration kit include:

iPod is now fully unlocked while connected to DICE integration kit. You are allowed full access of your iPod's features as well as the following browsing options:

- Album Selection
- Song Selection
- Playlist Selection
- Chapter Selection (Audible/Audiobooks)

You can browse your iPod with the steering wheel, radio or Navigation buttons and the iPod (or any combination of the three) without booting into separate modes. Allowing the iPod to remain in "iPod UI" allows for the user to still rate songs and create "on the go" playlists.

AUX compatibility with user-adjustable Sound Output settings:

Connect any external audio device including: aftermarket satellite radio, CD/DVD players, non-Apple MP3 players and more! Bass, mid, treble and gain settings can be adjusted on the fly. These options allow for distortion-free audio input.

Selecting between audio from your iPod or AUX input is done with the press of a button on your radio.

- Volume Output (selectable 1-100)
- Bass (selectable 1-100)
- Midrange (selectable 1-100)
- Treble (selectable 1-100)

ID3 text output

- Features Song Title/Artist and Album information on your Navigation or Radio Display.

Charging Control

Charging of your iPod while in play, never have a dead iPod again!

Models Supported:

2003-2006 MINI Cooper Coupe/Convertible
2003-2006 MINI Cooper S Coupe/Convertible
2006 MINI GP

* pre 4/2005 MINIs with CD & Cassette Radios do not have text support. However, text is still displayed on your iPod's screen.

Compatible for both Harmon Kardon and Boost/Wave systems. Installation is simple for the DIY type and should take no longer than 60 minutes.

DICE User instructions: http://support.diceelectronics.com/f...al_rev_B01.pdf

Kits are always in stock and ready for same-day shipping!

Old 01-05-2007, 11:47 PM
tom @ eas
Banned
[eas] * New product announcement * DICE High Definition Radio w/ iPod Integration!

We will also be answering questions regarding the new HD DICE in this thread.

What is HD Radio?

Throughout the US, thousands of radio stations have already adapted HD Radio® technology. With the addition of our HD Radio® Integration Kit, you can listen to this "All Digital" HD Radio® broadcast delivering CD-quality sound, higher highs and lower lows, right to your vehicle's existing audio system.

How does it work?
Basically, digital radio works the same as conventional radio. There’s a signal on one end and a receiver on the other. But there are a few key differences:

- Instead of sending out one analog signal, stations send out a bundled signal both analog and digital. Because it is digital, textual data such as traffic, stock info and song titles can be sent out, as well.
- The digital signal layer is compressed.
- The combined analog and digital signals are transmitted.
- Inevitably, radio signals bounce off objects, causing what is called multipath distortions. This is what causes the static in conventional radio receivers. HD Digital radio receivers are designed to sort through reflected signals, reducing static, hiss, pops and fades.
- Finally, the signals reach their destination. Both broadcasts are free, with no subscription fee. To hear the digital broadcast, all you need is our HD Radio receiver!

HD Radio includes artist, album and song information in its broadcasts. Future content may include real time traffic information for your area. The best news, HD Radio is not a subcription service. You get all this content for free!

HD Radio Coverage Map:

Darker areas indicate zones with greater coverage.

Ever wished you could get the same quality of sound from your radio as you do from your CD? Or that your radio signal didn’t fade out just when you wanted to listen to the game? Now you can.

Get the kind of sound that was previously reserved for your HDTV, CD system or MP3 player. Get it on your radio. And get it for free!

- CD-quality sound
- Crystal-clear reception
- No station drop-off
- No static, hiss or audio distortion

HD Radio is on the rise! Are you ready?
Over 1000 radio stations are now broadcasting in HD Radio quality and 1000s more are to come. However, most car manufacturers will not offer HD Radio compatible receivers in their vehicles until 2007 or 2008. Take control and listen now, with HD-DICE!

How Does HD Dice Work?
The radio station that you listen to broadcasts a digital signal. This digital signal contains the data for all the features that HD Radio© technology offers. Your car's factory antenna recieves this data and the HD-DICE Module turns this data into music that you can clearly hear and information that you expected from your radio. HD DICE is capable of receiving HD1 and HD2 broadcasts.

But Wait! There's More!
How can a good product get better? By integrating the best iPod integration kit available into the HD-receiver as one! Yes, our DICE iPod integration kit is now built into the HD receiver box for the best of woth worlds and an unlimited supply of music. Simply plug in your iPod (connector available seperately) and have instant iPod control, charging and text display at your fingertips! More information on the DICE iPod kit features can be found on our site.

Models Supported:

4/2005-2006 MINI Cooper Coupe/Convertible
4/2005-2006 MINI Cooper S Coupe/Convertible
2006 MINI GP

* pre 4/2005 MINIs with CD & Cassette Radios do not have text support which is required for the HD DICE module to function.

Compatible for both Harmon Kardon and Boost/Wave systems. Installation is simple for the DIY type and should take no longer than 60 minutes..

Compatible with the following iPod versions:

DICE High Definition Radio w/ iPod Integration (MINI)

http://www.europeanautosource.com/pr...roducts_id=608

Old 01-06-2007, 08:36 PM
hunter99
4th Gear
I have read the various threads and never have quite fully understood if the HD model will work with the HK system that has the factory Sirius added? If so does the module hookup to the cd changer cable and go in the boot or hookup behind the radio and mount up under the dash? Lastly, if in the boot, I guess you sell the ipod cable to reach from the rear to the front?

Thanks

Old 01-06-2007, 08:37 PM
hunter99
4th Gear
Actually, I forgot to mention I also have the Aux input in my MINI.

Old 01-06-2007, 08:40 PM
tom @ eas
Banned
As long as your MINI is post 4/2005 - you can use the HD DICE. You can run the HD DICE and Sirius - both will be treated as seperate modes on your factory HU.

Old 01-07-2007, 06:25 AM
Paul!
6th Gear
Is it possible to get the DICE to function with the Digital Power Sound Modul (DPSM) option installed in the MINI?

I tried to hook up my DICE, an while the DICE unit controlled the iPod perfectly, there was no sound.

Would it be just a simple swapping of some wires, or would it be more complex than that?

Thanks!

-Paul!

Old 01-07-2007, 09:25 AM
cooldaddy
5th Gear
it's not entirely clear to me if all cables are included in the "Trunk Interface Kit". Are both the audio-module-in-trunk to DICE and DICE to iPod cables included?

Old 01-07-2007, 10:18 AM
MLPearson79
OVERDRIVE
Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts
I need a clearer idea of how the HD unit w/iPod adapter installs.

1) Does it go into the trunk?
2) Where does it plug in if I have a Sirius adapter in the trunk plugged into the CD changer cable?
3) Is there a seperate antenna? If so, where does it go?

Old 01-07-2007, 02:51 PM
Edge
AdMINIstrator
Originally Posted by hunter99
I have read the various threads and never have quite fully understood if the HD model will work with the HK system that has the factory Sirius added? If so does the module hookup to the cd changer cable and go in the boot or hookup behind the radio and mount up under the dash?
They sell either kit... but if you have factory SIRIUS, you HAVE to go with the trunk install. The reason being, the original IceLink (and now DICE) modules emulate the CD changer. This means you have to use the CD Changer input to your head unit. The OEM SIRIUS receiver ALSO uses the CD Changer cable to connect to the head unit, but it has a "passthrough" ability to still connect a CD changer (or one of the CD changer replacements such as the Icelink or DICE). If you were to get the "radio interface" version of the DICE, you would have to disconnect the CD changer cable from the head unit, which in turn would mean you also disconnected the SIRIUS receiver. I hope that clarifies it for you.
Originally Posted by hunter99
Actually, I forgot to mention I also have the Aux input in my MINI.
That won't matter - it's a separate connector on the back of the head unit than the CD changer cable.
Originally Posted by Paul!
Is it possible to get the DICE to function with the Digital Power Sound Modul (DPSM) option installed in the MINI?
It should work fine, because again, all it's doing is acting like a CD changer. It's possible that the CD changer cable is disconnected from the back of the head unit... although the head unit DID control the iPod, so maybe it's just the individual audio wires within the cable that are not properly connected. If you could just get your hands on an OEM CD changer to test it...
Originally Posted by MLWagner79
I need a clearer idea of how the HD unit w/iPod adapter installs.

1) Does it go into the trunk?
That depends on whether you buy the trunk install model or the radio interface model.
2) Where does it plug in if I have a Sirius adapter in the trunk plugged into the CD changer cable?
As I mentioned above, the SIRIUS receiver has a "pass-through" ability. You will have to use that. I'm in the same situation, although I haven't connected my DICE-HD yet. There is an OEM cable available specifically for the OEM SIRIUS reciever that is designed to connect from the receiver to the CD changer. You might need that cable. I bought one back when I bought my SIRIUS receiver, figuring I might need it one day. The part number is on the install instructions, but here it is for your convenience: 84 11 0 150 532. Again, I am not sure yet if you will actually need this cable, but you might. I'll know as soon as I get my DICE-HD installed.
3) Is there a seperate antenna? If so, where does it go?
Yes, there's a separate HD antenna supplied. I imagine you can put it anywhere that is easily exposed to the outside. I've read that some people install it at the back of the dash.

Last edited by Edge; 01-07-2007 at 02:53 PM.
Old 01-07-2007, 03:41 PM
MLPearson79
OVERDRIVE
Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts
Hmmm...I'm thinking I might bypass the HD option. The only regular "over-the-air" radio I listen to is AM, so HD doesn't really benefit me anyway. I think I'll probably wait to see someone else's install before I decide for sure. I just know I can't stand my OEM iPod adapter....eesh...

Old 01-07-2007, 03:52 PM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
Received 120 Likes on 105 Posts
I'd like a definitive description of DICE operation with OEM Nav. So far I've read that either iPod text information is displayed on both Nav and the head unit at the same time, or when the Nav map is displayed no text appears on the head unit either. What does it take (how many button presses) to switch between Nav and iPod display modes? tom@eas described how he does it on his BMW but there hasn't been anything about how well it works on MINI.

Old 01-08-2007, 07:09 PM
tom @ eas
Banned
Originally Posted by rkw
I'd like a definitive description of DICE operation with OEM Nav. So far I've read that either iPod text information is displayed on both Nav and the head unit at the same time, or when the Nav map is displayed no text appears on the head unit either. What does it take (how many button presses) to switch between Nav and iPod display modes? tom@eas described how he does it on his BMW but there hasn't been anything about how well it works on MINI.
We were able to secure a MY06 MINI w/ NAV for datalogging and is scheduled for next week. A solution is on the way.

Old 01-09-2007, 10:03 AM
speednut
5th Gear
Originally Posted by tom @ eas
We were able to secure a MY06 MINI w/ NAV for datalogging and is scheduled for next week. A solution is on the way.
Excellent, we look forward to hearing updates on your findings.

Old 01-09-2007, 04:40 PM
cooldaddy
5th Gear
?

Originally Posted by cooldaddy
it's not entirely clear to me if all cables are included in the "Trunk Interface Kit". Are both the audio-module-in-trunk to DICE and DICE to iPod cables included?

Old 01-10-2007, 03:37 PM
red_line
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by tom @ eas
As long as your MINI is post 4/2005 - you can use the HD DICE. You can run the HD DICE and Sirius - both will be treated as seperate modes on your factory HU.
I have a 05 mini S. I bought it used so i have no clue.
How do i find the exact month my mini was born.
And is it when the rolled it off the production line (actual birth).
Or is it when the previous owner recived it from the dealer?

Old 01-10-2007, 04:48 PM
tom @ eas
Banned
Originally Posted by red_line
I have a 05 mini S. I bought it used so i have no clue.
How do i find the exact month my mini was born.
And is it when the rolled it off the production line (actual birth).
Or is it when the previous owner recived it from the dealer?
Production date will be in the driver's side door jamb.

Old 01-11-2007, 09:26 AM
pjschaffer
5th Gear
DICE Install

I just installed my DICE iPod interface (purchased from EAS - great service and fast shipping). Very simple install. I have an 06 Convertable with the HK radio. I had already instaled an XM Direct via a Blitzsafe adapter (with passthrough).

The Blitzsafe adater is connected to the CD Changer wiring harness under the rear passenger side seatbelt retractor mechanism. Since the Blitzsafe I have had pass through connectors, I simply plugged the DICE vehicle cable into the Blitzsafe, routed the vehicle cable to the front, connected the vehicle cable and iPod cable to the DICE and plugged in the iPod. I velcroed the DICE under the dash. It works flawlessly and sounds great.

Originally Posted by cooldaddy
The trunk interface kit includes both cables. The vehicle cable is plenty long to route from the boot to the center console. The iPod cable is pretty short (about 3 feet)

Phil

Old 01-11-2007, 04:14 PM
Funk_Flex
5th Gear
Anybody have any step by step photos of the installation? What are the pros and cons of the radio and the trunk interface? Is it easy to route the plug wire to the glovebox?

Old 01-11-2007, 04:25 PM
sranderle
3rd Gear
I just installed a head unit version this week. The time pieces that were time consuming were learning how to remove the downtubes, and pushing the adapter and radio back in.

I found this link to be very helpful. Just take your time. It's worth the effort!!

http://www.newministuff.com/new/inde...ion=13&diyid=6

Old 01-12-2007, 04:45 AM
trex_47e
1st Gear
I got my DICE in last night. Didn't come with a set of instructions for the HU connections. Does anyone know how the DICE hooks up with the HU?

Old 01-12-2007, 06:37 AM
pjschaffer
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Funk_Flex
Anybody have any step by step photos of the installation? What are the pros and cons of the radio and the trunk interface? Is it easy to route the plug wire to the glovebox?
I installed the trunk interface. Sorry, no pictures, but it was a piece of cake. The cable is easily run from the boot to the dash. I routed it behind the trim piece that covers the rear speaker and then partially removed the rubber gasket at the bottom of the door jamb and routed the cable in the large gap. When you get to the fron of the door, you can route the cable behind the lower panel were the hood release latch is located, ending up agasinst the firewall. I mounted theDICE interface box under the glove box with adhesive backed velcro. There is a flat spot between the lower dash trim and the cabin air filter cover that makes a great location. I located my iPod on the down tube, so I'm not quite sure how to get into the glove box but I can't imagine it is too hard.

Hope this helps,

Phil

Old 01-15-2007, 11:41 AM
abuzavi
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I knocked out a DICE installation, and it was only compounded by my sheer sense of glee for removing the OEM iPod adapter (and damn near throwing it out into heavy traffic).

Unplug the car's wiring harness from the HU. Transfer the one clip (mine had NAV wires and other AUX jack wires in it) to other end of DICE wiring harness. Plug car's wiring harness into DICE wiring harness. Plug DICE wiring harness into HU.

Turn it on, make sure it works. It does. It's that easy.

Then spend twice as long, to try and wrestly it all back into the dash so you can close it up and go for a drive.

Start to finish: 20 minutes, with quite possibly half of that being messing with the wiring to put it all back in. More actual thought process went into removing the OEM iPod adapter (and thinking of all of the evil ways to destroy it), than it took to hook in the new one. I, too, had been put off by the lack of insturction, but a quick look at the harness showed me not to deconstruct it but to let it bridge the bag.

Seriously, my 8 year old could have done this install.

And yes, the DICE is a dream, compared to the OEM. Hated it. HATED IT. Loooooove the DICE.

And much thanks to Tom. Not enough buninesses go the extra mile to support shipping stuff to APO / FPO addressess. But Mini-lovin-bad-guy-fightin' soldiers, sailors, airmen and Marines around the world need to buy Mini stuff, too. There are standards that have to be met -- rubber mats, fuzzy dice, a custom shift ****, a parcel shelf, and a DICE iPod adapter. So, thanks, Tom. You've made me happier.

Old 01-16-2007, 11:31 AM
tom @ eas
Banned
Originally Posted by abuzavi
I knocked out a DICE installation, and it was only compounded by my sheer sense of glee for removing the OEM iPod adapter (and damn near throwing it out into heavy traffic).

Unplug the car's wiring harness from the HU. Transfer the one clip (mine had NAV wires and other AUX jack wires in it) to other end of DICE wiring harness. Plug car's wiring harness into DICE wiring harness. Plug DICE wiring harness into HU.

Turn it on, make sure it works. It does. It's that easy.

Then spend twice as long, to try and wrestly it all back into the dash so you can close it up and go for a drive.

Start to finish: 20 minutes, with quite possibly half of that being messing with the wiring to put it all back in. More actual thought process went into removing the OEM iPod adapter (and thinking of all of the evil ways to destroy it), than it took to hook in the new one. I, too, had been put off by the lack of insturction, but a quick look at the harness showed me not to deconstruct it but to let it bridge the bag.

Seriously, my 8 year old could have done this install.

And yes, the DICE is a dream, compared to the OEM. Hated it. HATED IT. Loooooove the DICE.

And much thanks to Tom. Not enough buninesses go the extra mile to support shipping stuff to APO / FPO addressess. But Mini-lovin-bad-guy-fightin' soldiers, sailors, airmen and Marines around the world need to buy Mini stuff, too. There are standards that have to be met -- rubber mats, fuzzy dice, a custom shift ****, a parcel shelf, and a DICE iPod adapter. So, thanks, Tom. You've made me happier.
Thanks for the feedback! Let me know if you have any questions on features,

Old 01-16-2007, 12:11 PM
PetesPepperWhite
2nd Gear

Why did you hate the OEM so much?

Old 01-16-2007, 09:53 PM
abuzavi
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Tom, Yeah, one question.

Selecting text. (This is off of the top of my head, so forgive me if it's close but not exctly right)

I've got an '06 MCS with HK and Nav. From CD6, I select track one and get no text on anything.

On track 2, I get text on the radio, but the text also hijacks my Nav screen. The whole screen. That's bad.

There are two alternate Nav screen options (4 & 5, I think), but in doing so, the Nav doesn't show the map. And the text is not on the radio (though, if I understand correctly, for these two, it's not suppose to).

As I see it, I can't really get text to display without taking a hit on my Nav capabilities.

Which pretty much leaves the option of turning off the text altogether. Not great, but better than the OEM adapter.

Tell me, Jedi Master, that you know of some trick that either puts the text on the radio only (ideal solution) or that puts it on the Nav screen without messing with the Nav functions.

Quick Reply: Navigation & Audio [eas] Official DICE iPod integration kit Q/A thread