Navigation & Audio Audio upgrades, bluetooth, and navigation discussions surrounding the Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs.

Navigation & Audio Hardwire of Nuvi 760 with Kuda Mount

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2008, 01:26 PM
larrydata
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hardwire of Nuvi 760 with Kuda Mount

I just finished my hardwiring of my Nuvi 760 GPS. All went smoothly, and I'm happy with the results. The mount is powered when the ignition is on, and is off otherwise.

If you're planning a similar project you may find some of this helpful.

Parts

I ordered the Kuda Mount and the Nuvi adapter from http://www.kudausa.com

Kuda Mount - 292445 MINI - MINI COOPER since 2007 black
Nuvi Adapter - 900042 Garmin NUVI mount/adaptor/hold

Then I ordered the Mini add-a-fuse from http://www.partsexpress.com

071-585 Littelfuse Add-A-Circuit Fuseholder For Mini Fuses

I also bought a Lighter Socket DC Extension Cord with On/Off Switch from Radio Shack (about $8).

Directions

To install the Kuda mount I used Unixgal's awesome directions from this thread: https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...d.php?t=110837

The only thing I would add is use a magnetic bit for the Torx screws in the vent over the speedo. Otherwise they are hard to get out. I also had to use a mirror to see them.

To hardwire and route the wires I used Lacning74's very helpful discussion and photos from here: https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...d.php?t=111280

I stayed close to his procedure. He noted that he had extended his female socket wires for his routing, so that's why I substituted the Radio Shack DC extension. This allowed me to route the wires easily, and once I got them where I needed them I just cut off the extra wire (and the male part with the on/off switch).

I used fuse 30, since I do not have the parking distance alarm. I used a 5AMP fuse, and grounded it to the Torx screw on the right of the glove box.

Here's a pic of the Nuvi base on the Kuda Mount

From the front

From the side

Here's a close up of the Nuvi screen with the custom srf file from BBCooper-matches my MY/Blk Mini perfectly! Totally awesome!

Thanks to Unixgal, Lacning74, and BBCooper, as well as all the forum members who help out with pics and advice all over NAM!

Larry

Old 01-26-2008, 02:07 PM
Minidrivr
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Great writeup Larry! Looks very clean installed there.

Old 01-26-2008, 06:01 PM
lacning74
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Looks great! I also have mine fused to F30 now. Jealous of your Nuvi 760.

Old 05-26-2008, 05:04 PM
Ghal
Neutral
Mounting Nuvi 760 in Mini

Totally awesome, Larry - I salute you! Does anyone know of someone in the Boston area who could (for a fee) wire a Nuvi 760 into our 2006 Mini so it would end up looking and functioning like Larry's? Many thanks!
-Gene

Attached Thumbnails Hardwire of Nuvi 760 with Kuda Mount-mini-in-driveway.jpg  
Old 05-29-2008, 03:15 PM
steaming79
4th Gear
thanks for the write-up & photos, larry. really nice setup.

i was really looking forward to doing this today....

...but i was at costco to pick this up and i found out the nuvis don't have route exclusion. bah.

Old 06-02-2008, 10:16 AM
Jolyrogr
3rd Gear
Awesome set up. Wasn't aware of the Kuda mounts. They look great. Thinking of one of their mounts for the center console side. I have my own device mount, (proclip iphone holder). My question is, how well are the Kuda mounts made and how easy are they to install? Looked at the install instructions on their site and they look a bit "sparse". Also, does the base of the mount have holes that you screw into and are they standard patterns? How do I mount my device holder to it?

Old 06-15-2008, 01:58 PM
MellowYellowGuy
1st Gear
This is great! I have a Nuvi 750 I'd like to wire. Where can I get the little Yellow/Black Mini icon for the Nuvi??? That's my color combo too! Love that.

Thanks.

Old 06-21-2008, 12:41 PM
rexicon
4th Gear
Thanks to all for the photos and how-tos. Just installed my Nuvi 760 Costco Father's Day prezzie.

I don't think I broke anything but there was a sliver of black plastic left over that I don't remember from before. I stuffed the female lighter socket and traffic receiver in the cubby by the fuses...

Old 07-12-2008, 03:34 PM
AppleCello
4th Gear
How does the nuvi mount adapter attach to the kuda base? Its not some adhesive or something, is it? im hoping its screwed in somehow but i cant tell from any photos.

Old 07-12-2008, 06:50 PM
larrydata
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by AppleCello
How does the nuvi mount adapter attach to the kuda base? Its not some adhesive or something, is it? im hoping its screwed in somehow but i cant tell from any photos.

The mount comes with both screws and tiny bolts with nuts. Lined up the Nuvi mount piece with the Kuda base and marked the holes, drilled two tiny holes, pushed the bolts through and tightened the nuts.

There's a plastic black ring that covers the hardware when it's done for a very clean look.

Old 07-13-2008, 05:21 AM
ThommyG
Banned
MINI Icons for the Garmin Nuvi

Originally Posted by MellowYellowGuy
This is great! I have a Nuvi 750 I'd like to wire. Where can I get the little Yellow/Black Mini icon for the Nuvi??? That's my color combo too! Love that.

Thanks.
There's another thread which has quite alot of info... but here's where a number of icons can be found (don't know about yellow).
http://homepage.mac.com/WebObjects/F...cty=US&lang=en

Old 07-19-2008, 07:26 AM
Tommy122
2nd Gear
Love your installation! I have one question. Mounting the 760 this way, does the FM traffic receiver still work?

Old 07-19-2008, 07:44 AM
larrydata
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Tommy122
Love your installation! I have one question. Mounting the 760 this way, does the FM traffic receiver still work?
Yes, it does. Although I have let my trail subscription run out.

Old 07-19-2008, 07:57 AM
JCR1960
5th Gear
Excellent write up and instructions Larry
I ordered my KUDA mount and adapter on Tuesday and received it Thursday which only took 2 days by USPS.
But now reading the part number for the nuvi adapter it looks like I ordered the wrong one which is this:
http://www.kudausa.com/garmin_nuvi_m...late-1240.html

I already attached it to the KUDA mount so I will see how it goes once installed in my MCSa today.Otherwise I will just exchange it for the other one.

Old 07-19-2008, 08:49 AM
Tommy122
2nd Gear
Glad to hear that it still works. I mounted mine in the left-hand corner of the windshield then ran the wire under the dash, up the door jam to my 760. Installation looked pretty neat but the FM traffic receiver no longer worked. Maybe it's my location.

Old 07-19-2008, 09:34 AM
Minidrivr
6th Gear
The FM traffic receiver is built into the cord, specifically the 12v plug end. Like any FM antenna, if it's hidden under the dash there is potential for signal lose.

Old 07-19-2008, 01:08 PM
Diploman
3rd Gear
Attention-Getter

This is a beautifully-executed GPS installation, with very professional results. Congratulations!

My only compunction about emulating this setup is that a permanent, hardwired installation such as this serves as a glaring advertisement to the increasingly-brazen GPS thieves who cruise streets and parking lots looking for signs that parked vehicles are equipped with a GPS. Even a suction-cup mark on the windshield is a dead giveaway, inviting a break-in. As fine as it is, this installation, and others similar, just attract too much attention, in my opinion.

I opted to keep my GPS installation minimal and ad hoc - I stick the suction cup mount on the sppeedo, plug into the cigarette lighter socket, then quickly remove and hide all the equipment when parking. Easy on, easy off.

But the Kuda mount is elegant.....

Old 07-19-2008, 06:27 PM
Minidrivr
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Diploman
My only compunction about emulating this setup is that a permanent, hardwired installation such as this serves as a glaring advertisement to the increasingly-brazen GPS thieves who cruise streets and parking lots looking for signs that parked vehicles are equipped with a GPS. Even a suction-cup mark on the windshield is a dead giveaway, inviting a break-in. As fine as it is, this installation, and others similar, just attract too much attention, in my opinion.
One of the top reasons I went with the OEM Nav.

Old 07-20-2008, 06:43 AM
Tommy122
2nd Gear
I think that anyone who has a gps or a radar detector mounted in their car has to exercise common sense. I have both, and as big a pain as it is, I will take both of them with me if I park my car in a place that I think is unsafe, such as a large parking lot or mall. I go to a gym every day and I make a point to park my car in a place that is close to the building and visible through the gym window. I don't leave them in the car over night at home even though I think that my home location is pretty safe. You can't ever eliminate every possibility for theft, but you can minimize your exposure.

Old 07-21-2008, 12:43 PM
rexicon
4th Gear
As someone stated I think common sense applies. If you're parked in a rough neighbourhood you would be well advised to place your MINI baseball hat over your Kuda Mount.

I've yet to put this idea to the test however so take it FWIW...

Old 11-16-2008, 12:01 PM
foxy1
1st Gear
are these kuda mounts available for the R56's in the UK? right hand drive.