MINI Camera and Video Interested in capturing your motoring experience? Discuss here your favorite video and photography skills using your MINI.

VacuCam AutoCrossing Videos

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2006, 11:35 AM
OctaneGuy
Vendor & Moderator :: MINI Camera and Video & c3 club forum
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
VacuCam AutoCrossing Videos

Yesterday at the BMWCCA AutoX at Hollywood Park, I set up my forthcoming VacuCam Pro TH which is a CCD based camera in a waterproof housing.

The camera was mounted on the front Tow Hook using the exclusive VacuCam design that was first shown at the MOTD this year.

The first clip was actually my last timed run of the day and and the sun was starting to get low playing havoc with the visibility of the cones. So I apologize for the lighting as there wasn't much I could do.

The second clip was of Dave and Bar10Girl leaving the park. If you listen carefully you can hear me scraping the speedbump!

The third clip is the same as the second clip that has been stylized to emphasize the sunsetm but it was a bit overdone IMO.

The fourth clip which is still being uploaded is of what it looks like to run straight into some cones at ground level! Scott of Central Coast Coopers is seen running to right the cones I hit during practice!

Notes about these clips:
Speed is 100%
Video was cropped 1.85:1 Academy Ratio
Mic was mounted under the bonnet near the intake
Camera was CCD based micro camera mounted on stock tow hook
Recorder was DV Camcorder with LANC control
Remote was Viosport Start/Stop Remote

Richard

Windows Media
Video Clip 1-Timed Run 85 seconds

Video Clip 2- Leaving at Sunset

Video Clip 3- Leaving at Sunset FX

(I moved the clip from below to the list--not sure if everyone is seeing this clip or not)
Autox-Watch the Cones!!!!

Last edited by OctaneGuy; 10-28-2006 at 10:30 AM.
Old 10-23-2006, 02:00 PM
OctaneGuy
Ok one more clip

I think this still image speaks for itself!

That's Scott from Central Coast Coopers grabbing the cone. He's yelliing to me to go--I didn't realize nobody red flagged me and there was a big car barreling down on me. As I suspected, I had a cone under me that got dragged aways as I screamed away.

I found out after the run that my tire pressure had risen to 40psi from the original 35 cold, and the tires were sizzling hot, so they were literally greasy!

Old 10-25-2006, 12:13 AM
Andaya
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by OctaneGuy
Yesterday at the BMWCCA AutoX at Hollywood Park, I set up my forthcoming VacuCam Pro TH which is a CCD based camera in a waterproof housing.

The camera was mounted on the front Tow Hook using the exclusive VacuCam design that was first shown at the MOTD this year.

The first clip was actually my last timed run of the day and and the sun was starting to get low playing havoc with the visibility of the cones. So I apologize for the lighting as there wasn't much I could do.

The second clip was of Dave and Bar10Girl leaving the park. If you listen carefully you can hear me scraping the speedbump!

The third clip is the same as the second clip that has been stylized to emphasize the sunsetm but it was a bit overdone IMO.

The fourth clip which is still being uploaded is of what it looks like to run straight into some cones at ground level! Scott of Central Coast Coopers is seen running to right the cones I hit during practice!

Notes about these clips:
Speed is 100%
Video was cropped 1.85:1 Academy Ratio
Mic was mounted under the bonnet near the intake
Camera was CCD based micro camera mounted on stock tow hook
Recorder was DV Camcorder with LANC control
Remote was Viosport Start/Stop Remote

Richard

Windows Media
Video Clip 1-Timed Run 85 seconds

Video Clip 2- Leaving at Sunset

Video Clip 3- Leaving at Sunset FX
Rich,

Very nice videos!

Old 10-25-2006, 12:35 AM
OctaneGuy
Thanks!!! 89 views and this is the first comment. Much appreciated for taking the time to say something.

Richard

Originally Posted by Andaya
Rich,

Very nice videos!

Old 10-25-2006, 12:47 AM
glnr13
6th Gear
that was awesome Rich! i wish i was there! makes me miss my MINI...
i think the mic placement is too much... maybe the mic should be at the back of the bonnet area, maybe at the firewall/cowl area for the S's. it's just a little too noisy. but otherwise very nice work

Old 10-25-2006, 12:56 AM
OctaneGuy
Hey Glen!

I agree. I put it in the normal location for the Cooper (on the engine mount), but the rushing of the air through the intercooler slot caused the same effect as if the mic was placed outside.

Because there is so much air rushing around in there, I'm going to experiment with some isolation boxes or maybe even a tiny blimp wind cover that allows the mic to sit in a bubble of air. The foam windscreens don't work well for high pressure air rushing against the mics.

Good idea for the cowl area. I'll have to try that. In the past, I used a little mic preamp to control the audio levels, but this time I used a simple mic that fed a line level signal with no control at all. It was simpler but less flexible.

Thanks buddy--you'll be back home in no time.

Richard

Originally Posted by glnr13
that was awesome Rich! i wish i was there! makes me miss my MINI...
i think the mic placement is too much... maybe the mic should be at the back of the bonnet area, maybe at the firewall/cowl area for the S's. it's just a little too noisy. but otherwise very nice work

Old 10-25-2006, 07:09 AM
Our 50
Coordinator :: Dynamic MiNi Collective
Nice videos. I can't believe the camera stays so still, mounted on the tow hook. I like the sound - you can tell where in the rev range you're at and you hear lots of tire sounds.

Old 10-25-2006, 07:45 AM
OctaneGuy
Thanks! Here's a little detail shot of the camera mount-it's what I dub as the VacuCam Pro TH.

It mounts onto the factory tow hook in just a few seconds. It's all machined out of Delrin which is a really hard type of plastic that machines like metal.

Originally Posted by Our 50
Nice videos. I can't believe the camera stays so still, mounted on the tow hook. I like the sound - you can tell where in the rev range you're at and you hear lots of tire sounds.

Old 10-25-2006, 12:33 PM
cinnaMINI2
2nd Gear
Richard, I can't believe how rock-steady your vacu-cam is! those videos make me wish i was there. I almost did show up....but it was my birthday and I had other plans. Good job though!

Old 10-25-2006, 12:44 PM
curv872
4th Gear
Richard,

Are you coming down to San Diego on Nov. 4th?

Joe

Old 10-25-2006, 01:16 PM
ChiliCooperS
6th Gear
Dude why does your car sound like it's supercharged? I'm like DAMN that Cooper sounds about as whiny as my car!

Old 10-25-2006, 02:21 PM
OctaneGuy
Haha, cause it's not my Cooper--it's my 2005 JB/JB MCS with the 16% M7 pulley!

I still got to change my sig.

Originally Posted by ChiliCooperS
Dude why does your car sound like it's supercharged? I'm like DAMN that Cooper sounds about as whiny as my car!
AutoX Nov. 4
Looks like I'm gonna be at SEMA all week, so Nov 4 is out for me. I did some karting yesterday--had a blast--would love to go test out what I learned at the autox, but guess will have to wait until the next Los Angeles one.

Sharon
Awwww happy belated birthday! Its been a long time--would have loved to have seen you!

Richard

Old 10-25-2006, 04:17 PM
ChiliCooperS
6th Gear
Okay I was a little confused there... now that I think about it didn't you post a thread about getting the S a while back? I wish the autoXs here were that wide open. We rarely have straights that don't have some sort of slalom... and it's a tight slalom too. I like the courses you ran better more speed=more fun imo.

Old 10-26-2006, 11:50 AM
speednut
5th Gear
Thanks for sharing your autocross runs Richard, looks like you had fun.

Have you ever tried having the mic wired out the boot and taped near the exhaust? Would that work or sound good?

Old 10-26-2006, 03:40 PM
OctaneGuy
I've done this as well as have had 3 mics installed---engine bay, cabin, exhaust.

I found that a lot of the sounds that are characteristic of the MINI, aren't just from the exhaust. For example, not hearing the supercharger whine is strange on an S. The Cooper, I improperly micd it during initial tests and heard drive belts, clicking noises, rubbing noises, all kinds of things that made it sound like an old wind up toy, and not a MINI.

Having the mic out front enables you to hear tire sounds, engine revving and super charger whine and the steering motor. I think a combination of both is probably best.

Originally Posted by speednut
Thanks for sharing your autocross runs Richard, looks like you had fun.

Have you ever tried having the mic wired out the boot and taped near the exhaust? Would that work or sound good?

Old 10-26-2006, 06:00 PM
glnr13
6th Gear
hmmm. how about one mic behind the bumper cover on the driver side? get the sound of rubber and the whine? i personally would love to have a mic setup at the boot to hear the raging scream from my exhaust especially since i have the header now too..

I've done this as well as have had 3 mics installed---engine bay, cabin, exhaust.

I found that a lot of the sounds that are characteristic of the MINI, aren't just from the exhaust. For example, not hearing the supercharger whine is strange on an S. The Cooper, I improperly micd it during initial tests and heard drive belts, clicking noises, rubbing noises, all kinds of things that made it sound like an old wind up toy, and not a MINI.

Having the mic out front enables you to hear tire sounds, engine revving and super charger whine and the steering motor. I think a combination of both is probably best.

Old 10-26-2006, 07:19 PM
OctaneGuy
Hmm that's an interesting location I haven't tried yet. A big part of the mic location has to do with making it fit! I will need extensions to reach the bumper cover--but something I'll try for sure.

Originally Posted by glnr13
hmmm. how about one mic behind the bumper cover on the driver side? get the sound of rubber and the whine? i personally would love to have a mic setup at the boot to hear the raging scream from my exhaust especially since i have the header now too..

Old 10-26-2006, 08:04 PM
carbonized
3rd Gear
good videos, awsome sound and the driving not so bad I need one of those camera bad!!!!!

Old 10-26-2006, 09:35 PM
89AKurt
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Interesting videos. I miss the perspective of being able to see ahead (like normal), but better than from inside the cabin with A pillars blocking the view.
I tried a remote mic at the back to get the exhaust sound, but a bit windy still. Getting the sound right is a challenge.

There... I made a comment.

Old 10-26-2006, 09:55 PM
glnr13
6th Gear
well it doesnt have to be on the driver's side. it could be on the passenger side... after all, the whine is quite audible from the cone working position so it shouldt matter....

Hmm that's an interesting location I haven't tried yet. A big part of the mic location has to do with making it fit! I will need extensions to reach the bumper cover--but something I'll try for sure.

Old 10-28-2006, 10:07 AM
tsukiji
4th Gear
Love the perspective.
Hate the sun.
Can't wait to see more.

Old 10-28-2006, 10:30 AM
OctaneGuy
Thanks!! Did you see this clip?

No sun in this one.

Richard

Originally Posted by tsukiji
Love the perspective.
Hate the sun.
Can't wait to see more.

Old 10-29-2006, 07:19 AM
tsukiji
4th Gear
Thanks!! Did you see this clip?

No sun in this one.

Richard
I missed it earlier

Been there, center-punched that.

Old 10-29-2006, 08:28 AM
polizei
6th Gear
Nice job on the cam! I have an MCS with an M7 16% pulley and mine doesn't sound like that.

-Cody