R60 :: Countryman Talk (2010-2015) R60 Cooper and Cooper S hatchback discussion NOT REPAIR RELATED Discussions.

R60 2' Receiver Hitch for the Countryman

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2011, 07:04 PM
Rocket Dog
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2' Receiver Hitch for the Countryman

Hi everyone! I am new here. I just bought my first Mini: a 2011 S hatchback in Chili Red with the JCW aero kit. Now, my wife has ordered a Countryman S. However, we have to pull a wave runner. Has anyone had any experience with the 2' receiver hitch that mount through the rear bumper access holes? Apparently, it requires no real mods to the car. I borrowed this picture from mini mania. I hope they don't mind.

Name:  g2nmx2500.jpg
Views: 8359
Size:  15.6 KB

Old 09-07-2011, 10:03 PM
BigFox
1st Gear
Cant say i have used this before, but its only rated for 1000 lbs. The one from MINI FINI is rated for 3500. But takes more installation. MINI FINI makes a good product though, put it on a clubman and a hardtop, went real smooth.

Old 09-08-2011, 01:48 AM
Rocket Dog
1st Gear
Originally Posted by BigFox
Cant say i have used this before, but its only rated for 1000 lbs. The one from MINI FINI is rated for 3500. But takes more installation. MINI FINI makes a good product though, put it on a clubman and a hardtop, went real smooth.
Thanks BigFox for the info. I didn't know that this company existed. I wish they had a better picture of the hitch installed.

Old 09-08-2011, 04:48 AM
threar
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I posted this in another thread, but here's a link to my blog writeup on my hitch install of the MiniDoMore hitch. Rated at 2000lbs towing capacity and 200lb tongue weight, but does require some cutting.

Old 09-12-2011, 06:08 AM
Karrock
4th Gear
Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Rocket Dog
Hi everyone! I am new here. I just bought my first Mini: a 2011 S hatchback in Chili Red with the JCW aero kit. Now, my wife has ordered a Countryman S. However, we have to pull a wave runner. Has anyone had any experience with the 2' receiver hitch that mount through the rear bumper access holes? Apparently, it requires no real mods to the car. I borrowed this picture from mini mania. I hope they don't mind.
What you found is a Caboose Trailers Countryman Hitch -- $265 + $30 shipping

Lots of pics at that link and at least one person (spaner) on the forum has one.

Old 09-12-2011, 06:27 AM
Rocket Dog
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Karrock
What you found is a Caboose Trailers Countryman Hitch -- $265 + $30 shipping

Lots of pics at that link and at least one person (spaner) on the forum has one.
Thanks Tony! I think I'll follow through with a PM to spanner. Thanks again!

Old 09-12-2011, 11:03 AM
spaner
3rd Gear
snap

Yep

I had to double take as I also have a yellow countryman!!!!!

I have one , used it for cargo platform, works great and easy install. The folks that supply it are a small company so you wont see lots of snazzy marketing material and they don't have a presence on NAM. I have seen the same hitch being used to tow over 2,500lbs and I will restate that the Caboose load bearing claims are very conservative. If you look where this thing bolts up to it is very sturdy.

For me it was cheap, easy to install and remove solution that requires no cutting/modifications and I would recommend it.

Next time I have it on the car I will snap some more pictures (getting a bike rack this week)

Old 09-12-2011, 11:19 AM
Rocket Dog
1st Gear
Awesome, spaner! I can't wait to see them. It doesn't look like there is much room between the hitch and the painted bumper.

Old 09-12-2011, 11:40 AM
Rocket Dog
1st Gear
I just saw the installation video and the Countryman pulling the 1900 pound trailer. I am convinced!!

Old 09-14-2011, 04:28 PM
Hobie44610
3rd Gear
Make sure the trailer is balanced for the tongue weight and don't tow anything anywhere equal to or heavier than the weight of your CM or you're asking for trouble.

Old 09-14-2011, 05:08 PM
Koopah
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Sorry for the minor hijack, but...

Has anyone mounted the Mini-Fini hitch on a Countryman? I'd love to see pictures of the mounted hitch without anything attached to see what shows after installation. I'd also like to get an idea of the installation complexity.

TIA

Old 09-14-2011, 05:34 PM
Rocket Dog
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Hobie44610
Make sure the trailer is balanced for the tongue weight and don't tow anything anywhere equal to or heavier than the weight of your CM or you're asking for trouble.
The Waverunner is 743 dry so I will be at the 1000 lb. mark in hurry with the trailer and gas. That is why I was concerned about the towability of any hitch. The video of the Countryman towing a 1900 pounder in the test gives me confidence.

Koopah: No worries on the hijack. I'd like to see all the possibilities myself.

Old 09-14-2011, 06:19 PM
sirbikes
3rd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yes, see my post. Lots of pics.
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...es-part-i.html

I doubt the Caboose hitch could support the configuration I have with four bikes without serious flex and possibly compromising the hitch and bumper it is mounted to.

Originally Posted by Koopah
Sorry for the minor hijack, but...

Has anyone mounted the Mini-Fini hitch on a Countryman? I'd love to see pictures of the mounted hitch without anything attached to see what shows after installation. I'd also like to get an idea of the installation complexity.

TIA

Old 09-14-2011, 07:32 PM
Koopah
6th Gear
sirbikes --

Great photos! Thank you!

Did you do the install? If so, how much of the CM needs to be removed for the install? Did you get a link for the installation instructions?

My needs will require strength as I need to tow a sailboat and (separately) a motorcycle trailer.

Again, thanks.

Old 09-14-2011, 08:24 PM
sirbikes
3rd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Talk to Russell at Mini-Fini. He's super helpful and he emailed me the instructions before I bought the hitch because I wanted to get a sense of how hard it was to install. I can email them to you if you want but he may have updated instructions now.

I tried to have some folks that did some body work on my previous car install it but they couldn't deal with the wire harness, so one weekend I just said f--- it, and started doing it myself. I was on the phone with Russell several times during the install, asking him all sorts of questions, and he took a lot of time helping me and walking me through the steps. He even gave me his personal cell if I had a question on Saturday. Top notch guy. Highly recommend MiniFini for this reason alone.

You have to remove the entire bumper. The hardest part was getting those trim clips free between the bumper and wheel well trim but I figured it out. The next hardest part was cutting out the square hole for the hitch. I kinda botched one area (you can see it in the pics) but other than that it lined up perfect.

It took me a while (the entire day pretty much and part of the next to do the wire harness) and I was very nervous (have beer handy to calm the nerves), but I did it and it came out great. I should have taken my own photos but I didn't think of it when I was in the thick of it.

After I got the hitch installed and the bumper back on I then installed the mud flaps (you can't install these before).

Now that I've done it I could do it again with much less effort.

MiniFini has the highest rated hitch for the CM. I assume this is independently rated but I don't know how it works. Russell is now making me struts to make the hitch even stronger to support the weight of my bikes without bouncing -- high tongue weight.

Hope this helps.

Originally Posted by Koopah
sirbikes --

Great photos! Thank you!

Did you do the install? If so, how much of the CM needs to be removed for the install? Did you get a link for the installation instructions?

My needs will require strength as I need to tow a sailboat and (separately) a motorcycle trailer.

Again, thanks.

Old 06-08-2012, 09:46 AM
Wooderson
Neutral
Just found this thread. I'm trying to decide between the Mini-fini hitch or the Caboose.

I love the ease of installation of the Caboose hitch, but the 1,000 pound capacity scares me off. The way the Mini-fini definitely appears to me to be a stronger set-up, hence the larger capacity. I don't think I'd ever tow 3,500 pounds, it's still a small vehicle and that seems like a lot of stress on the transmission and braking system to me, but I'd like to get up to 1,500 or so occasionally.

I know those ratings are conservative, but I assume there is some sort of independent system to get the ratings. Can anybody shed some light on that?

I think I'm leaning Mini-fini right now, but I'm a little nervous about the installation. I don't mind doing a little work myself on my vehicles, but taking the bumper off my brand new Countryman is a bit intimidating. I think dealing with plastic is what most concerns me. I don't want to get a crack in something and end up with a loose or rattling part.

Old 06-08-2012, 11:27 AM
Rocket Dog
1st Gear
I installed the caboose hitch on my wife's Countryman S. We tow a light utility trailer or a waverunner on occasion. The hitch handles them nicely but the Countryman is light so I know the Waverunner is there. After we use it, it pops off and is ready for the next use. The caboose website show them pulling a much heavier load.

Originally Posted by Wooderson
Just found this thread. I'm trying to decide between the Mini-fini hitch or the Caboose.

I love the ease of installation of the Caboose hitch, but the 1,000 pound capacity scares me off. The way the Mini-fini definitely appears to me to be a stronger set-up, hence the larger capacity. I don't think I'd ever tow 3,500 pounds, it's still a small vehicle and that seems like a lot of stress on the transmission and braking system to me, but I'd like to get up to 1,500 or so occasionally.

I know those ratings are conservative, but I assume there is some sort of independent system to get the ratings. Can anybody shed some light on that?

I think I'm leaning Mini-fini right now, but I'm a little nervous about the installation. I don't mind doing a little work myself on my vehicles, but taking the bumper off my brand new Countryman is a bit intimidating. I think dealing with plastic is what most concerns me. I don't want to get a crack in something and end up with a loose or rattling part.

Old 06-08-2012, 01:39 PM
Jimbo
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Wooderson

We went with the Mini Fini Hitch and had it installed by an installer I have used for years who agreed to install mine because their source suppliers had none for the CM. Some modification had to be made to the "Base" Bumper cover, even less needs to be done if you drive and "S" and in both cases it is nearly invisible when not in use.......we love it !

First time out with MINI FINI hitch setup on the R60 works like a dream and is nearly invisible when not in use

Old 07-30-2014, 12:24 PM
adamgraced
1st Gear
I went with the Cooper Crap hitch as the exposed receiver makes it much easier to take my bike hitch on and off. I am usually putting it on and off in the same day, and all of the other hitches from minifini and curt have the mount so low and recessed, most make it impossible for the Thule quick mount to slid in to the pin holder. This is a very specific use, and if you have a regular bike hitch mount with a regular bolt you are prob used to laying on the ground and torqing away. but if you have a quick release like the aero I have, the Cooper Crap hitch makes it easy to use

Old 07-30-2014, 11:43 PM
dongood
4th Gear
OP, are you in Europe?

If your in Europe your mount might be a European option not available here in the states.

The MiniFini is similar, and will be installed on my Roadster, but I would make sure it fits a European speced car with that option before buying.