R58 :: Coupé Talk (2012+) MINI Coupé (R58) discussion.

R58 Some rear speaker questions please...

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2016, 01:14 PM
scooterboy
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Some rear speaker questions please...

I have the standard Boost CD audio system.

I've looked all over NAM for this info, and I'll be damned if I can find it. So I'm asking:

1) Are there any instructions/pics for replacing the rear speakers (removing the rear panels, etc.)?
2) The rears sound awful (muddy). Is it because of the stock speaker, or is the rear signal from the HU "filtered" (e.g. the rears are treated as "bass filler")?
3) What are good speaker replacements that fit the rear locations?

Thanks for any info.

Old 02-03-2016, 10:33 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,966 Likes on 1,766 Posts
Hello,

I have the H/K system in my R58 , but i have driven with the stock system. Adjust the balance to the back a bit helps. The back speakers in the R58 act more of a bass speaker. No extra speakers. I think the issues is when you sit in a H/K system car the stock system just is not to par.

Here is the diagram:

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/show...diagId=51_8613

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/show...diagId=65_2336

You could swap out the the factory HK, for only the speakers you have. The H?K system has the rear deck with the extras tweeter for the highs. The NON H/k does not have them nor a location.

Another sound system updgarde i would do if i did not get H/K option would be the MINI HiFi system. Sound is great and its an upgrade for the stock ( base ) system. 65412153318

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...it-2013-a.html

That full kit 65412153318, plus 65412167234 , 51432240364, and 51432240365 . The last two are the new interior a pillar in black with the speaker pods at the bottom.

Those a-pillar s will be black off course. Not gray. But gives you an idea. Sound great also and great for resale as its OEM.

Thanks

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 02-03-2016, 07:42 PM
GeneralSpecific
4th Gear
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Yep, I second adjusting the balance, it's the cheapest option; who knows, maybe it'll sound better enough for you. When I bought my car, I compared two Coupes next to each other, one with HK and one with Stock; that sold me on the HK immediately. I still adjusted the balance to the back a bit. If the HiFi system sounds comparable to the HK, I'd seriously consider it.
There's another system, can't remember the name, but it adds a woofer to the trunk, that blends in. if that's to your taste. I'd prefer the trunk space, though.

Old 02-03-2016, 08:51 PM
scooterboy
6th Gear
Originally Posted by GeneralSpecific
Yep, I second adjusting the balance, it's the cheapest option; who knows, maybe it'll sound better enough for you.
That's pretty much where I am. I did adjust the fader about 4 bars to the rear and it sounded much better. However when I faded it to the rear 100% I could really hear how muddy those woofers are. The fronts, though lacking low end, sounded ok to my aging ears.

So I thought if I replaced the rears with a coaxial that would handle the low end as well as maybe a clear midrange, that would be more than adequate for me with a minimal amount of work/cost.

When I bought my 2003 Cooper new, I spent 3 days tearing it apart, completely replacing the audio. I don't have that kind of energy now.

So any suggestions for replacement speakers, as well as any hints about taking the rear panels out, would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by scooterboy; 02-03-2016 at 09:13 PM.
Old 02-04-2016, 07:51 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Originally Posted by GeneralSpecific
Yep, I second adjusting the balance, it's the cheapest option; who knows, maybe it'll sound better enough for you. When I bought my car, I compared two Coupes next to each other, one with HK and one with Stock; that sold me on the HK immediately. I still adjusted the balance to the back a bit. If the HiFi system sounds comparable to the HK, I'd seriously consider it.
There's another system, can't remember the name, but it adds a woofer to the trunk, that blends in. if that's to your taste. I'd prefer the trunk space, though.
Yea i adjusted the HK balance to the rear , but on the stock system , it helps a bit to adjust the balance, but the HiFi option is there and much better then the stock system, the HiFi system is on the same level as the H/K in sound , i head it, also its factory , so its not going to looks like you made something. So great for resale and upsale. the woofer to the trunk is a aftermarket thing.

If I had the stock system in my JCW R58, i would go for the HiFi retrofit kit.

Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 02-04-2016, 08:32 AM
TheBigNewt
OVERDRIVE
Received 103 Likes on 82 Posts
The rears are mostly filler, even with the HK system. I don't fade it back much at all.

Old 02-04-2016, 02:23 PM
rosvick
3rd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have had the rear panels off in my R58 about two years ago, so I'll try to describe the process from memory. It might not be accurate, though, so take it with a grain of salt.

I'll also reference the first RealOEM link that ECSTuning posted above. It'll make it easier for me to describe what piece to pry first by stating the number in the image.

So, firstly pull off both finisher panels (#19). There are no bolts attaching them, just retainers.

Undo a few screws (#17) from the upper panel (#14). Once the screws are out, there might be a couple plastic retainers that need to be freed by pulling #14 a little bit towards the front of the car.

Then, pull #14 up towards the roof. There are about five plastic retainers keeping it down.

From what I recall, you may need to pull up on #9 to expose some screws along the bottom edges of both left and right #13s. There will be other screws along the top of both #13s, too.

I can't remember if you have to remove #4 at all, but something tells me there are a couple screws in that area that need to come out first.

Once both #13 panels are off, the speakers and wiring will be exposed. It's just a matter of unscrewing the speakers, and Bob's your uncle.

To be honest, I was able to figure it out by going slowly and spending an afternoon figuring out how the panels were assembled. As long as the car is nice and warm, and you're not violent with any of the parts, you shouldn't risk breaking anything. Just take your time, keep a flashlight handy (trust me, you'll want the light), and you'll be able to figure it all out in no time.

Old 02-04-2016, 02:39 PM
GeneralSpecific
4th Gear
That all sounds right to me, but I don't recall having to pull up on #9, but I could be mistaken. You have a great memory!
I would buy extras of #15; I think I broke a couple when I removed the upper panel. It's not a difficult job but it does take a little while to do. I'd recommend a set of plastic shims (ECS has them, among others) to wedge behind the finisher panels to pry them off. I couldn't do it with my fingers alone.

Old 02-04-2016, 05:14 PM
scooterboy
6th Gear
Originally Posted by rosvick
I have had the rear panels off in my R58 about two years ago, so I'll try to describe the process from memory. It might not be accurate, though, so take it with a grain of salt.
Thank you so much for this! I really appreciate you taking the time.

Here's a question for you. This morning I was looking at it from the boot side of things, and from what I saw in the vehicle and matching it up in the diagram, it looks like it might be easier to take off #3 and then #1 from the boot side. That would give you instant access to the back of the speakers. Can you remove and replace them from the back?

Old 02-04-2016, 05:22 PM
GeneralSpecific
4th Gear
sadly, no. While you do have some access, you have to get to it from the cabin side. That whole thing is actually a pretty solid metal brace there that all the trim and carpet is covering - it's what makes the car so stiff.

Old 02-04-2016, 05:40 PM
scooterboy
6th Gear
Oh well - worth a shot!

Old 02-04-2016, 07:34 PM
GeneralSpecific
4th Gear
I was disappointed when I found out too - I lined my whole trunk with Dynamat and some of what I did required I disassemble the cap. (Plus, I was curious about its construction anyway)

Old 02-05-2016, 05:56 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Yea, its a brace back there behind the trim. If you replace the speakers post up what you did, would love to see this or if anyone has done the HiFi in the Coupe'

Old 02-05-2016, 03:59 PM
scooterboy
6th Gear
Originally Posted by ECSTuning
Yea, its a brace back there behind the trim. If you replace the speakers post up what you did, would love to see this or if anyone has done the HiFi in the Coupe'
I'll definitely post some pics when I do it. I'm still trying to figure out which 6x9's to replace the stock speakers with. I know the new ones have to be efficient (92% or better I think) because the HU doesn't pump out that much power. If anyone has any suggestions, I'm open. Even if some of you can just throw out some good brand names, I'll do the rest. I haven't paid attention to who makes the better speakers for a long time now, so I'm as good as a noob.

I'm also still unsure whether the signals being sent to the rears are unaltered or not. I read that before the 2013 model year, the signals sent to the rears had a lot of bass notch-filtered out, and that's why the frontrear "channel swap" mod was born. But starting with the 2013 model year, that changed and the channel swap mod would have little effect (this info came from the people who sell the channel swap harness). But I don't know exactly what that "change" means, in regards to how altered/unaltered the rear signals being sent are.

I guess if no one else has replaced only the rear speakers in the boost system, we won't know until I replace mine and give them a listen.

Old 02-06-2016, 12:39 PM
scooterboy
6th Gear
Update: after talking with my accountant (wife), I need to spread out the goodies I want to buy for my Coupe. The speakers won't be first because I want some other things that have a higher priority.

But the speakers will probably happen in a month or two. I promise to come back here and post pics and instructions.

And I have a few ideas up my sleeve for some other interesting mods...

Old 02-08-2016, 06:02 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Great, glad you got the approval