R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Slowly start the upgrade process

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2014, 07:32 AM
millerb7
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Slowly start the upgrade process

I have a '13 MCS which I am going to SLOWLY start upgrading... trying to keep things slow until my factory warranty is up.

I'd like to start with a CAI as it won't void my warranty. What I'd like to know is if the JCW intake is still pretty much the best around to get? (Also, where to get it from other than dealer if possible?).

I don't really want to go with an open filter design (which sucks in hot air most the time anyways) just to get a cool sound. I'd rather stick to the closed design to get a little better performance (not lose my low end torque). I don't care if it doesn't change the sound at all, as I'm after the performance change.

That being said I know I'm not gonna get crazy performance changes... It's just step 1 of a very long upgrading process.

Anyways... JCW (if you could point me to the correct one I'd be grateful) or go with something like the AEM (assuming it's not just a noise thing and gives me some performance).

I know there are a BILLION threads on CAI's... which is part of the issue. I spent about 7 hours last night reading through them and I am farther from my answer than before I started... there is so much controversy and each thread is the opposite of the one I read before.

TL;DR: Which CAI route to take?
- AEM
- JWC
- Just add a new filter to stock MCS

Old 08-18-2014, 07:39 AM
cerenkov
6th Gear
Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts
Since you don't care about sound stick with stock, it's a good setup. Save the money for something else.

Another system is DOS but it is only available on the used market.

Old 08-18-2014, 08:14 AM
millerb7
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by cerenkov
Since you don't care about sound stick with stock, it's a good setup. Save the money for something else.

Another system is DOS but it is only available on the used market.
Makes sense... wasn't sure what the increase would be from JCW over the MCS intake as I know it's got a larger box and more free flowing filter I believe.

Next steps I'm leaning toward are intercooler and JB+ so didn't know with those planned down the line if the CAI was something I should also upgrade.

Old 08-18-2014, 02:00 PM
afadeev
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by millerb7
Originally Posted by [B
cerenkov][/B] Since you don't care about sound stick with stock, it's a good setup. Save the money for something else.

Another system is DOS but it is only available on the used market

Makes sense... wasn't sure what the increase would be from JCW over the MCS intake as I know it's got a larger box and more free flowing filter I believe.
No change in airflow, as the JCW filter uses the same paper element. The actual airflow rate supported by both would be the same.

The JCW filter is arranged as a cone (similar to the traditional K&N design), so the expected lifespan would be longer - more surface area to cover up with dirt before you need replacement. But unless you increase boost beyond the limit of airflow sported by MCS's rectangular, I doubt you will see any peformance improvement. For that, you would need to install a K&N filter inside the JCW fully shielded intake box!

Next steps I'm leaning toward are intercooler and JB+ so didn't know with those planned down the line if the CAI was something I should also upgrade.
Intercooler is a required upgrade if you intend to autoX your car, or drive it with purpose. Stock intercooler gets heat soaked after the first autoX run, it power goes downhill from there. I have installed Alta's FMIC and love it, but today you can do even better with Forge's unit:
http://www.detroittuned.com/forge-al...r-intercooler/

a

Old 08-18-2014, 02:24 PM
millerb7
2nd Gear
Makes perfect sense. This is the info I'm after. So according to your statement, you might suggest going with the JCW air intake unit, then swap the filter itself inside for a K&N filter? That seems like it would net the most benefits.

Again I understand a CAI isn't going to get me much HP gain. I'm wanting to future proof myself and keep good air flow for future upgrades (inter cooler and tune to start).

Any idea what this set up would sound like? I've had a Evo XIII with ~475 whp stage 3. While the blow off noise is intoxicating at 16, I'm now 30. A real loud drone gets old. This is my daily driver as well.

I'm after practical, ACTUAL useful mods. Wanting to start off slow to get my feet wet again and burn off the rest of my warranty.

I think I want to avoid any open air box system as I feel it'll be to droning as well as the fact that it's not a true cold air intake.

Thanks again. Fantastic info so far.

Originally Posted by afadeev
No change in airflow, as the JCW filter uses the same paper element. The actual airflow rate supported by both would be the same.

The JCW filter is arranged as a cone (similar to the traditional K&N design), so the expected lifespan would be longer - more surface area to cover up with dirt before you need replacement. But unless you increase boost beyond the limit of airflow sported by MCS's rectangular, I doubt you will see any peformance improvement. For that, you would need to install a K&N filter inside the JCW fully shielded intake box!

Intercooler is a required upgrade if you intend to autoX your car, or drive it with purpose. Stock intercooler gets heat soaked after the first autoX run, it power goes downhill from there. I have installed Alta's FMIC and love it, but today you can do even better with Forge's unit:
http://www.detroittuned.com/forge-al...r-intercooler/

a

Old 08-18-2014, 02:50 PM
Grizld700
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
An EVO XIII?! Wow you have connections!

Ok smarta$sness aside, JCW intake with K&N filter, FMIC, Tune (the N18 has minimal options for this right now), & exhaust. Bam! Your done with engine mods for the casual tuner.

Next step, suspension. Then the brakes. Then the body. Wheels should go in there somewhere. Of course this is a slow process So you'll get there when you get there.

Old 08-18-2014, 02:58 PM
millerb7
2nd Gear
HAHA.... VIII.

Thanks for the input. I have 30k miles to burn for my warranty so I'm in no rush.

Any idea on sound for that CAI setup?

Originally Posted by Grizld700
An EVO XIII?! Wow you have connections!

Ok smarta$sness aside, JCW intake with K&N filter, FMIC, Tune (the N18 has minimal options for this right now), & exhaust. Bam! Your done with engine mods for the casual tuner.

Next step, suspension. Then the brakes. Then the body. Wheels should go in there somewhere. Of course this is a slow process So you'll get there when you get there.

Old 08-18-2014, 07:54 PM
millerb7
2nd Gear
Is this method (JCW air intake + K&N filter) the only really viable closed intake option out there right now?

Everything I'm seeing (even from the reputable folks) is an open filter.

Old 08-19-2014, 06:46 AM
Grizld700
6th Gear
The DOS system used a cone filter with a mostly close system. The opening was attached to the bulkhead via a hole that is drilled in. (it sounds worse than it actually is) Other than the stock systems this is closest to a 'closed' system. Unfortunately this system is no longer made and you'll have to scorge the markets to ever find one.

The next best thing is the AEM and DDM intakes. Truthfully, unless you're going to get a proper tune (again this is difficult right now for the N18 engine) then I would just get the JCW intake, it'll be the best intake for your setup.

Old 08-19-2014, 06:58 AM
kyoo
6th Gear
Received 71 Likes on 53 Posts
honestly i would just get a good cone filter. i run an amsoil filter on my evo, and i would on my mini if i were upgrading it. not tremendous amounts of differences, just get one that still filters well.

i actually disagree with needing an intercooler upgrade for autox. track, yes, autox no. you drive for 40-70s, and then the car sits for 5-10minutes and normally you (should) spray your intercooler down then anyway

Old 08-19-2014, 08:01 AM
Grizld700
6th Gear
I use a little pressure tank and hose to spray mine after runs. Even though I have an upgraded FMIC I still do this, old habits die hard I guess.

Old 08-19-2014, 08:03 AM
kyoo
6th Gear
always better to spray, even with upgraded intercooler. i was just saying upgrading one isn't AS critical for autox as for road racing

Old 08-19-2014, 08:08 AM
Grizld700
6th Gear
Especially if you get a huge turn out where you sit for longer than 15 min, upgraded FMIC not required in AutoX senario. Most of the events around me are very large and there is plenty of down time to cool off.

Old 08-19-2014, 08:12 AM
kyoo
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Grizld700
Especially if you get a huge turn out where you sit for longer than 15 min, upgraded FMIC not required in AutoX senario. Most of the events around me are very large and there is plenty of down time to cool off.
exactly. i actually swapped from an upgraded intercooler to stock since i only autox my evo - preferred the weight savings.

Old 08-19-2014, 07:20 PM
millerb7
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by kyoo
honestly i would just get a good cone filter. i run an amsoil filter on my evo, and i would on my mini if i were upgrading it. not tremendous amounts of differences, just get one that still filters well.

i actually disagree with needing an intercooler upgrade for autox. track, yes, autox no. you drive for 40-70s, and then the car sits for 5-10minutes and normally you (should) spray your intercooler down then anyway
Are you suggesting just putting a cone filter into my stock MCS air box? Will one even fit?

I'll prob upgrade the inter cooler as well down the road as I have had an overheat issue before and I'm a tad paranoid haha.

Old 08-20-2014, 05:49 AM
Grizld700
6th Gear
I don't think a cone filter will mount on the 'S' intake. But the 'JCW' intake is set up for a cone style filtering system and you can get a AEM/K&N/aFe cone filter to install instead of the paper cone that comes with the JCW intake.

Old 08-20-2014, 12:34 PM
cerenkov
6th Gear
I'm confused...according to RealOEM all N18 (S and JCW) share the same part number for the air filters and the air box itself. And they are panel style and not cones.

S:

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...12&hg=13&fg=20

JCW:

Old 08-20-2014, 07:22 PM
millerb7
2nd Gear
I'm confused...according to RealOEM all N18 (S and JCW) share the same part number for the air filters and the air box itself. And they are panel style and not cones.

S:

JCW:

You are correct. Those are for stock 'S' and stock 'JCW'. The air intake I'm after is part of the 'JCW' stage 1 "kit". This is not a factory kit but the aftermarket dealer install stage 1 kit. I would just be using the intake and doing it myself obviously.

This kit uses a cone filter and had a larger airbox. It's a true cold air intake as it's a closed system. You won't get the "cool" (I use that very lightly) blow off sound from the kit but it's truly cold air and not sucking the engines hot air like an open system.

To my knowledge they are low in supply currently and run $291 thru the dealer.

Old 08-20-2014, 07:32 PM
cerenkov
6th Gear
Thanks for the clarification.

Old 08-20-2014, 07:55 PM
millerb7
2nd Gear
Thanks for the clarification.
No worries.

How do you like your forge intercooler?

JB+ working out? Was thinking of both if those as my next investments.

Old 08-21-2014, 03:21 AM
cerenkov
6th Gear
No worries.

How do you like your forge intercooler?

JB+ working out? Was thinking of both if those as my next investments.
Both are well worth the money.