Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

Vibration under acceleration

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2014, 08:07 AM
MelloYellow
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vibration under acceleration

After lowing my car with Eibach springs I've acquired a vibration under acceleration. Its gets worse at 30MPH. The obvious reason usually is CV's but I replaced both axles (remans) and still have the problem.

The car has not been aligned since the drop because i don't want to have to do it twice if the alignment is not the problem (which i don't think it is).

My other thought was possibly replacing the LCA bushings but I'm hesitant because they don't look/feel bad and I'm not completely convinced that is the problem either.

Any thoughts or advice?

Old 05-05-2014, 08:06 PM
gerry2153
4th Gear
have the balance on the wheels checked...?

Old 05-06-2014, 12:01 AM
Systemlord
6th Gear
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts
I agree with gerry.

Whenever you lower a Mini you should always consider an alignment, things in your suspension are very different now that you have lowered it.

Old 05-06-2014, 06:05 AM
MelloYellow
1st Gear
Originally Posted by gerry2153
have the balance on the wheels checked...?
I had the old (stock) set of wheels and tires and a brand new set of wheels and tires on and it did the same thing.

Originally Posted by Systemlord
I agree with gerry.

Whenever you lower a Mini you should always consider an alignment, things in your suspension are very different now that you have lowered it.
I understand that and I 100% agree with you. I'm just not convinced its the alignment and would be pretty upset if i spend $100 on an alignment and then have to replace another suspension part to spend another $100 on a second alignment. Eventually i will bite the bullet and just do the alignment if i can't figure out what the problem is and hope for the best. Im already upset Ive bought two axles that didn't fix my problem.

Old 05-06-2014, 10:01 AM
Systemlord
6th Gear
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by MelloYellow
I had the old (stock) set of wheels and tires and a brand new set of wheels and tires on and it did the same thing.

I understand that and I 100% agree with you. I'm just not convinced its the alignment and would be pretty upset if i spend $100 on an alignment and then have to replace another suspension part to spend another $100 on a second alignment. Eventually i will bite the bullet and just do the alignment if i can't figure out what the problem is and hope for the best. Im already upset Ive bought two axles that didn't fix my problem.
You need to take your Mini to a shop before throwing replacement parts at it, for all we know it might be your transmission.

Old 05-06-2014, 10:16 AM
MelloYellow
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Systemlord
You need to take your Mini to a shop before throwing replacement parts at it, for all we know it might be your transmission.
I do not plan on "throwing replacement parts" at my car. Anyone who works on cars and had a vibration issue at 35mph or a vibration under acceleration knows that 90% of the time it is usually a u-joints or CV's (thus why i replaced the axles at 140k miles). I'm actually quit car savvy and stumped at the moment which could happen to anyone. I can also basically guarantee you that this is not a transmission problem. It happened after I lowered the car so its most likely a suspension/bushing problem at this point.

I don't take my cars to shops because the two times in the past 8 years that I brought my car to a shop they did a hack job and ripped me off and I am more than capable to fix my own car. Just looking for someone more knowledgeable/experienced to help a fellow gear head out.

Old 05-06-2014, 10:57 AM
Ian Landesman
4th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Definitely sounds like an alignment issue to me... but that's just where I would personally start.

Old 05-07-2014, 07:32 AM
Minidaho
2nd Gear
I'm having a similar problem post-lowering. Vibration/shudder under acceleration in second gear (mostly between 20 - 30mph.) However, I left the stock axles in and only replaced the springs and struts (H&R and Koni Sport.) I had mine re-aligned when it was lowered and I've had the wheel balance checked - no change. (Mine has about 43K miles.)

I've been told that only new axles will fix the issue. Which, unfortunately, doesn't solve your problem since you replaced your axles. If you find a fix, please post it!

Old 05-07-2014, 08:03 AM
ottawa
2nd Gear
The remanded axel are garbage.

car-parts.com

find low milage used.

Old 05-07-2014, 09:15 AM
v10climber
6th Gear
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
If you have 140k miles on your car those control arm bushings are toast. Replace them.

Old 05-07-2014, 08:20 PM
Melangell
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Holy Hells! You just changed your suspension dynamic, get an alignment. Geez.

Old 05-13-2014, 10:06 AM
MelloYellow
1st Gear
I took another look under the car last night and nothing obvious is popping out at me. Checked the bushings, tie rods, balljoints, even looked at the spring to see if i possibly put it in wrong. But found nothing. I did notice the motor mount was cracking/going bad but i doubt thats my problem. I was talking to someone else who did the same springs as me on an 08 MCS with about 90k and he has the same problem but its way less intense. Still at a loss.

Originally Posted by Minidaho
I'm having a similar problem post-lowering. Vibration/shudder under acceleration in second gear (mostly between 20 - 30mph.) However, I left the stock axles in and only replaced the springs and struts (H&R and Koni Sport.) I had mine re-aligned when it was lowered and I've had the wheel balance checked - no change. (Mine has about 43K miles.)

I've been told that only new axles will fix the issue. Which, unfortunately, doesn't solve your problem since you replaced your axles. If you find a fix, please post it!
It might be axles in your case but it would be odd with such low miles. If i do figure it out i will let you know.

Originally Posted by v10climber
If you have 140k miles on your car those control arm bushings are toast. Replace them.
I took another look last night and they look like they were replaced.

Originally Posted by Melangell
Holy Hells! You just changed your suspension dynamic, get an alignment. Geez.
Thanks! ill keep that in mind because i forgot that every car that is lowered has a vibration around 25-35 and an alignment fixes it..

I'm looking for any OTHER suggestions before i get the car aligned and have to redo it because its not the alignment creating my vibration.

Old 07-22-2014, 08:25 PM
Cepp1999
1st Gear
So any positive results??? I have the same vibration as well!

Old 07-23-2014, 11:43 AM
Smalls0292
Neutral
Do you have a wheel works in your area? I'm in nor cal and they charge 90$ for an alignment but will align it as many times as you want within a year. Check some of your local big name shops to see if they offer a similar service. I replaced the suspension on my old 99 integra gsr with koni yellows and ground control sleeves and a master poly bushing kit. I had terrible vibration under acceleration. After spending loads of money on new hotchkis axles only to still have the vibration I finally gave in to an alignment ( I was waiting for new wheels ) and my problem was solved.

Old 01-10-2018, 01:37 PM
Jordan Frizzell
Neutral
Originally Posted by MelloYellow
After lowing my car with Eibach springs I've acquired a vibration under acceleration. Its gets worse at 30MPH. The obvious reason usually is CV's but I replaced both axles (remans) and still have the problem.

The car has not been aligned since the drop because i don't want to have to do it twice if the alignment is not the problem (which i don't think it is).

My other thought was possibly replacing the LCA bushings but I'm hesitant because they don't look/feel bad and I'm not completely convinced that is the problem either.

Any thoughts or advice?
I recently went to lowering coilovers as well but I also had the vibration before I did anything to the suspension. I notice it mainly at around 1500-2800 RPM in 3rd and 4th gear. I’m really thinking that it’s my motor mounts. They need to be replaced anyways due to the age of the vehicle. But this vibration is killing me. I really don’t want to replace the drive axles if I don’t have to but I’ll do it. I’m going to do the mounts first and see if that changes anything. Did you ever figure out what the problem was?

Last edited by Jordan Frizzell; 01-10-2018 at 01:39 PM. Reason: Add new information
Old 01-11-2018, 08:32 AM
thefarside
4th Gear
Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts
I had an intermittent vib problem that took me many months to solve - it turned out to be the trans side motor mount had sagged and hardened from age (8 years in Arizona heat). The torque arm was also badly cracked. The engine now runs as smooth as glass.

Last edited by thefarside; 01-11-2018 at 08:35 AM. Reason: replied to wrong message....
Old 01-11-2018, 09:26 AM
Jordan Frizzell
Neutral
Originally Posted by thefarside
I had an intermittent vib problem that took me many months to solve - it turned out to be the trans side motor mount had sagged and hardened from age (8 years in Arizona heat). The torque arm was also badly cracked. The engine now runs as smooth as glass.
The rubber portion of the lower mount is somewhat deteriorated. They both need to be replaced either way. After further investigation I think the main problem lies with both drive axles. I’m going to be replacing the wheel bearing hubs as well. Might as well while I’m down there. I jacked the car up while I’m neutral and turned the wheel back and forth as fast as I could and heard mass amounts of clunking. The car is 10 years old and the mounts are original. I’ve owned the car since 45k miles and I know the previous owner did not work on the vehicle nor did he adhere to proper maintenance. Now I’m stuck with it haha. I have replaced almost every engine accessory beside the thermostat housing, auxiliary water pump and the main water pump. The joys of being an N14 owner!

Old 01-11-2018, 09:37 AM
thefarside
4th Gear
Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts
I would not expect worn axels or hubs to "clunk" for your test. Hubs are expensive and last a long time, 200k miles or more unless you hit a pothole really hard for example. I would replace mounts first and see what that solves.

Worn hubs and axles make more noise than vib in most cases..

Old 01-11-2018, 10:10 AM
Jordan Frizzell
Neutral
Originally Posted by thefarside
I would not expect worn axels or hubs to "clunk" for your test. Hubs are expensive and last a long time, 200k miles or more unless you hit a pothole really hard for example. I would replace mounts first and see what that solves.

Worn hubs and axles make more noise than vib in most cases..
I was speaking to a Mini tech I know and he said that they do cause a pretty decent vibration when they are on their way out. He said sometimes they won’t make a lot of noise until they are really bad. I mean I would love to not have to replace them at this point. I just figured that since I would be replacing the drive axles might as well do the hubs. I’m going to do the motor mounts first to see if they make a difference. If they do I won’t do anything to the axles.

Last edited by Jordan Frizzell; 01-11-2018 at 10:16 AM. Reason: New information
Old 08-14-2018, 05:12 AM
Tom516
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What did the trick?