Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

Loss of Power 2013 Mini Cooper S Turbo

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2018, 02:40 PM
Talons
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Loss of Power 2013 Mini Cooper S Turbo

2013 Mini Cooper S, 1.6 L Turbo. 93000 miles,
Sudden loss of power. Stumbles at low speeds and has no turbo power. Codes do not show anything except Mass Air Flow Sensor. Changed that and still has MAF Code. Just put new Turbo on it one year ago. What could problem be. bypass valve, throttle body, waste gate? How to tell which one is bad.

Old 08-13-2018, 03:49 PM
shanksamillion
3rd Gear
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Make sure the air tube is fully connected and sealed at turbo. They usually wear out before 100k. The tube where it meets the turbo warps from the heat. No way around it but to buy a new tube. They’re about $100 or so. If this isn’t sealed you usually get a downstream throttle unmetered air code. This will definitely throw off the MAF sensors. Good luck! 👍

Old 08-13-2018, 03:52 PM
shanksamillion
3rd Gear
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Sorry should move specified. The one you need to check is the air intake tube into turbo. The other tube which has a better connection usually doesn’t go bad. This other air tube it out of turbo and goes to intercooler.

Old 08-13-2018, 06:08 PM
MrGrumpy
6th Gear
Received 241 Likes on 207 Posts
How are you reading the codes? The code readers used and sold by places like AutoZone and the like, are not always able to read all of the codes. Some of the codes are proprietary and can’t be read without specific BMW software (or something like that, I’m no expert). For example, I was having some issues with my 2012 R60 and didn’t have a good scan tool yet. I took it to AutoZone while it was actively in limp-mode and when they scanned it, the scanner showed “no error codes found”. I then went to the Euro shop where I have taken it on occasion. One of the mechanics came out to check the codes for me, and his scan tool showed 5 DTC’s (error codes). They were all BMW specific codes that could not be read by a general scan tool. So, depending on how you checked the codes, there may actually be something there to help point you in the right direction to diagnose the problem. ECS sells one that will read and reset them, I bought one and it works really well for my needs. But a lot (if not most) shops will read the codes for you for free, I would find one that works on Mini & BMW and have them scan it real quick. It can’t hurt to double check. If they do show something that didn’t read before, you will have a better idea as to what the next step should be. Good luck

Old 08-13-2018, 06:15 PM
MarioKart
Vendor
Received 115 Likes on 93 Posts
Originally Posted by MrGrumpy
How are you reading the codes? The code readers used and sold by places like AutoZone and the like, are not always able to read all of the codes. Some of the codes are proprietary and can’t be read without specific BMW software (or something like that, I’m no expert). For example, I was having some issues with my 2012 R60 and didn’t have a good scan tool yet. I took it to AutoZone while it was actively in limp-mode and when they scanned it, the scanner showed “no error codes found”. I then went to the Euro shop where I have taken it on occasion. One of the mechanics came out to check the codes for me, and his scan tool showed 5 DTC’s (error codes). They were all BMW specific codes that could not be read by a general scan tool. So, depending on how you checked the codes, there may actually be something there to help point you in the right direction to diagnose the problem. ECS sells one that will read and reset them, I bought one and it works really well for my needs. But a lot (if not most) shops will read the codes for you for free, I would find one that works on Mini & BMW and have them scan it real quick. It can’t hurt to double check. If they do show something that didn’t read before, you will have a better idea as to what the next step should be. Good luck
Like others have said it could be one of 25 things. Turbo cars are very sensitive to any type of boost leaks. After tuning the top two things that happen are a Diverter valve failure or the discharge pipe from the turbo to the hot side of the Intercooler (driver) pops off.
These two things are quick to check

Mario

mQubed Motorsport Manic & RPM Power Tuning

Old 08-14-2018, 05:14 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,966 Likes on 1,766 Posts
^ +1

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172