Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Need Help! No Start!

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2016, 03:58 AM
otto_my_way
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need Help! No Start!

Hi all,
So, my wife was driving my '03 S yesterday. She left the house with no issues. Car started just fine. She got to the park, took a walk with my son, came back to the car, put the key in and... nothing. All the lights came on on the dash/gauges. But no click, no start, no nothing. She called me, I rode up to meet her (on my motorcycle) and sure enough, nothing. Luckily she was parked up hill, I turned the key on, put it in reverse and pop started it. It started with no issues. I drove back into the parking spot, turned off the engine, tried again and nothing. Pop started it again and she drove home safely.

I had a look though my Bentley manual last night but couldn't find anything obvious. Hoping for some leads to fix this issue easily, without replacing component after component, and trying to avoid a costly garage bill. Please share your expertise. BTW, I've had the car for about 8 months and still really love it!!

Thanks.

Tom

Old 08-23-2016, 06:00 AM
MiniToBe
6th Gear
Received 427 Likes on 393 Posts
I dont have an R53, but these symptoms point to a weak battery or loose ground connection. Did you try to give it a jump?

Old 08-23-2016, 09:24 AM
Shawnnn
5th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Battery would be the first thing to look at

Old 08-23-2016, 12:55 PM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,966 Likes on 1,766 Posts
+1 battery, then the cables.

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 08-23-2016, 01:23 PM
minhi
2nd Gear
also check the clutch pedal release sensor--it can fall off preventing the car from starting

Old 08-28-2016, 01:27 PM
indybluer53
Neutral
Try looking at the starter. Same thing happened to me this week and a wire was corroded on the starter. It is under the headers. I replaced mine and started up beautiful. Now im dealing with smoke coming from headers and have no idea why

Old 09-11-2016, 06:22 AM
Brochacho
2nd Gear
Did you figure this out yet. I recommend what minhi said. Mine did the same thing. Good Luck.

Old 10-03-2016, 05:54 AM
otto_my_way
1st Gear
Yes, it was the starter motor, finally went bad. The car has 173k miles, and I suspect, like many other things on the car, that it was the original one. Now it starts up just like it's supposed to.

In the process of elimination I replaced the battery (replacing what seemed to be the original (BMW)) and following the procedure in the service manual I disconnected the header from the head and found that the union between the cat and pipe had corroded bolts. So I cut the flange bolts and found that the (probably original) exhaust system was shot.
It's a wonder that any exhaust gases ever made it to the twin tips. While it was out I managed to replace the handbrake cables (that were probably original) and had to remove the outer hanger studs as I sheared off the nuts when removing the hangers. Which in turn required the removal of the interior panels, rear seats and rear carpet.

The heat shield washer/nuts were mostly shot, simply falling off for the most part. Then came time to price out a replacement exhaust. Holy crap! $600 for stock replacement?!?!! No thank you. $220 for ebay crap will do me fine. Until it came time to install. You'd think that when welds are made a company would at least use some sort of jig to get the "Y" pipe, flange, and hanger rods in the right place, angle and spacing. But, one must consider the price point and expect less than perfect fitup and alignment. I made it work and now the exhaust is much quieter, though a little raspy.

So now it's all back together again, without too many left over parts, and back on the road, which is good as the weather is turning cooler and wetter which makes getting on the motorcycle in the mornings a little unbearable.

Thanks for all the input.

Cheers.

Old 10-03-2016, 11:44 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,966 Likes on 1,766 Posts
Thanks for the update.

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 10-05-2016, 10:49 PM
Mini Mania
Banned
Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
R50/r53

Originally Posted by otto_my_way
Yes, it was the starter motor, finally went bad. The car has 173k miles, and I suspect, like many other things on the car, that it was the original one. Now it starts up just like it's supposed to.

In the process of elimination I replaced the battery (replacing what seemed to be the original (BMW)) and following the procedure in the service manual I disconnected the header from the head and found that the union between the cat and pipe had corroded bolts. So I cut the flange bolts and found that the (probably original) exhaust system was shot.
It's a wonder that any exhaust gases ever made it to the twin tips. While it was out I managed to replace the handbrake cables (that were probably original) and had to remove the outer hanger studs as I sheared off the nuts when removing the hangers. Which in turn required the removal of the interior panels, rear seats and rear carpet.

The heat shield washer/nuts were mostly shot, simply falling off for the most part. Then came time to price out a replacement exhaust. Holy crap! $600 for stock replacement?!?!! No thank you. $220 for ebay crap will do me fine. Until it came time to install. You'd think that when welds are made a company would at least use some sort of jig to get the "Y" pipe, flange, and hanger rods in the right place, angle and spacing. But, one must consider the price point and expect less than perfect fitup and alignment. I made it work and now the exhaust is much quieter, though a little raspy.

So now it's all back together again, without too many left over parts, and back on the road, which is good as the weather is turning cooler and wetter which makes getting on the motorcycle in the mornings a little unbearable.

Thanks for all the input.

Cheers.
Sounds great, glad everything finally worked out. How about some pictures!

Drive Hard. Drive Safe. Keep Grinning.