R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 EBay Headers????

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2016, 07:41 AM
JCWCabrio
2nd Gear
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
EBay Headers????

So, as the title States, I'm curious about eBay headers.
Currently have the OBX (ebay) headers, paired with magnaflow cat. Well, due to the fact there is no flex pipe in my exhaust currently, my headers are beginning to crack at the collector weld under stress. Throwing a beautiful P0420.
My current headers are these:

But I'm interested in replacing with these headers and a 90* exhaust restrictor for the downstream o2.

Now my concern is first, I have the JCW head. I want to make sure the port size of the headers won't restrict things.
Another concern I have is quality.
I've been searching the forums for and reviews of these headers but can't seem to find anything.
I do plan on wrapping these before installation...

Any input is appreciated as I'd rather not spend ~700 on some bent stainless steel. (These eBay ones go for about 120)

Old 04-21-2016, 04:58 AM
IQRaceworks
6th Gear
Received 113 Likes on 94 Posts
I'm interested in these also.....looking to see what others say about them

Old 04-21-2016, 05:22 AM
jamez
5th Gear
Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts
I have the JCW head & kit too.

If you look at this image (the JCW 210 kit) it doesn't have a downpipe in the kit:

That leads me to believe that the openings of the downpipe were never a restrictive aspect and the light opening they did on the head was the only work done to match the downpipe openings. So the stock S downpipe was/is used.

That should mean that if the example you listed above was built to stock spec and opening, you shouldn't have a problem.

I'm also in the same situation of needing a new downpipe, so I'm very interested in the results. Quality is a big issue to me too.

Old 04-21-2016, 05:32 AM
MeBoosta
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by JCWCabrio
So, as the title States, I'm curious about eBay headers.
Currently have the OBX (ebay) headers, paired with magnaflow cat. Well, due to the fact there is no flex pipe in my exhaust currently, my headers are beginning to crack at the collector weld under stress. Throwing a beautiful P0420.
My current headers are these:

But I'm interested in replacing with these headers and a 90* exhaust restrictor for the downstream o2.

Now my concern is first, I have the JCW head. I want to make sure the port size of the headers won't restrict things.
Another concern I have is quality.
I've been searching the forums for and reviews of these headers but can't seem to find anything.
I do plan on wrapping these before installation...

Any input is appreciated as I'd rather not spend ~700 on some bent stainless steel. (These eBay ones go for about 120)
I have about 25k miles of HARD driving on my OBX header. I've never had a pricey header on my car so I don't know how it differs from those.
What I can say is that I did notice an improvement from OEM-OBX.
I'd go with OBX again without a doubt. I think I paid something like $150 for it shipped.

Old 04-21-2016, 02:24 PM
JCWCabrio
2nd Gear
Thank you guys for all the response. I did end up ordering the headers with the flex pipe and 90 degree 02 bung, paid 117 and change on good ol egay. Due to deliver Saturday. No work this weekend so I'll get the install done and report back.

Fingers crossed they fit well

I'll probably end up welding the cracks in my obx headers, so if anyone is interested and wants to pick up some headers and a magnaflow cat on the cheap let me know
Might even be the low low price of FREE beings as I wouldn't want to pay a dime for repaired headers.
All I'd ask for is a shipping label!

Old 04-23-2016, 07:11 PM
JCWCabrio
2nd Gear
Okay so they came in. Everything fits nicely. Installation was a pain because of the flex joint in place (it's loooong). This would not be a problem with a lift. If you're doing it in your garage with jacks and jackstands get your car as high as possible. Downstream o2 bung was not welded in the proper position. You will need the 90 degree adapter that I'm so glad I bought otherwise the sensor isn't going in. Flanges lined up PERFECT thank god (and they were Flat according to my straight edge). Upstream o2 sensor connector will need to be taken from its little circular holder to give you a little more length in wire to reach, no biggie.
BE SURE YOU TAKE OUT ALL HEAT SHIELDS UNDER COOLANT RESIVOIR AND THE OTHER SMALLER ONE BY DOWNSTREAM CAT.
I cannot stress this enough because the headers will NOT fit without the shields gone. Heat will be an issue there so to combat that I used exhaust wrap.
The sound is OK for now. Gaskets need to set and the pipe needs to get broken in (carbon on the inside walls) before I can give any real feedback on sound.
For the price I would buy these again.
I would recommend installing on a hoist for easier access.

As far as power goes, as expected, there is more pull at top end. You will lose some bottom end as these are a 4-1 header with NO cat and NO resonator.

Hopefully someone gets some help from this thread if they are planning on purchasing these.
Here's a pic of the set I received:

Sorry, I didn't take any pics during installation.

Rock on fellow enthusiasts

EDIT:
took the old lady to work this morning and noticed a very loud whistling noise. Jacked her up, no leaks. I'll be taking it to the shop today and get it on the lift and see what's going on here. I have a few suspicions that it may be the large flex pipe or ports aren't lined up to the head properly. Hopefully just something simple but otherwise the sound is GREAT. Just gotta sort the whistle out...

EDIT 2:
Misaligned the flange on the head. All is well

Last edited by JCWCabrio; 04-24-2016 at 07:45 AM.
Old 04-27-2016, 06:50 PM
IQRaceworks
6th Gear
You say that it reduces some torque from the bottom end.....and adds a little on the top end. The R53 motors are already pretty weak under 3000rpms....for a daily driver, it is worth it to loose bottom end power in exchange for a little top end HP?

Old 04-28-2016, 06:02 AM
Saltysalt
6th Gear
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
that's why I got a 4-2-1. im sure it keeps a bit more low end than the 4-1, its slightly noticeable, prolly mostly for the lack of a cat than the design of the header. it didn't change the drivability. car likes to cruise at 2700 rpm instead of 2200. the sound was completely worth it. under boost the low end seems the same or better since it can breath. the stock header is not quite free flowing

Old 04-28-2016, 07:19 AM
Gitmoe
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Any chance you can post the sellers you got the header and the 90* adapter from?

Old 04-28-2016, 06:29 PM
BadeffinLSx
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Would also be interested in getting a link to this, my r53 is also my daily, is it considerably louder than stock while driving? I also have a Megan racing catback. Is there any drone? And is it super raspy now?

Old 04-28-2016, 07:02 PM
-=gRaY rAvEn=-
Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts
if you install this header kit I would highly recommend NOT using those POS gaskets in the photos they come with....best case scenario, they will last about a month of DD use.

Old 04-28-2016, 09:15 PM
HaveATank
4th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
It really depends how the exhaust lines up at the flanges. I personally just double them and that does it. no more leaks.

This are the once i got Installed it yesterday
Name:  20160427_170542.jpg
Views: 4791
Size:  247.5 KB

Old and new
Name:  20160423_153329.jpg
Views: 4809
Size:  535.9 KB

Name:  exhaust%20headers%20wrapped_1.jpg
Views: 4893
Size:  124.4 KB

Name:  exhaust%20header%202.jpg
Views: 5566
Size:  151.8 KB

Originally Posted by -=gRay rAvEn=-
if you install this header kit I would highly recommend NOT using those POS gaskets in the photos they come with....best case scenario, they will last about a month of DD use.

Old 04-28-2016, 09:55 PM
BadeffinLSx
2nd Gear
What are the advantages to keeping the cat?

Old 04-29-2016, 07:21 AM
IQRaceworks
6th Gear
Originally Posted by BadeffinLSx
Won't it set off a CEL if you don't use a cat?

Old 04-29-2016, 07:53 AM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts
It smells a lot better, it's Street legal (federal and state), will pass inspection (if required)..and You loose very little with a modern cat....the mini motor tends to destroy aftermarket cats....the OEM one is not a bad unit, and many have welded them onto the RMW SHORTY HEADER and have had great results....
Not trying too look at this from an environmental standpoint, but the person sitting at the traffic light behind you will be much happier without a headache.....

Old 04-30-2016, 12:36 PM
JCWCabrio
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Gitmoe
Any chance you can post the sellers you got the header and the 90* adapter from?
Just do a quick search on eBay and you'll find it all. I have NOT set a P0420 using the adapter without cats. Sound is LOUD. for a daily, it's very loud. Especially when boost comes on.
As far as losing low end torque, I hardly notice as I've got a craven 17% pulley.

Smell, yeah its smelly. Very smelly. That smelly smell...that smells smelly. People don't like being behind me.

I absolutely love the exhaust note with the JCW exhaust. And yes there is drone. Yes it is raspy, especially when everything is cold on start up. When it warms up it has a very nice tone. Lots of pops, sounds very....race car-y.
I would NOT compare it to a Honda it's sounds much different.
When cold, yeah....sounds like a Honda.
I've gotten many compliments... When everything is warmed up of course. Neighbors hate me early in the A.M. when I'm going to work LOL.

The 'POS' gaskets have held up just fine. I've put roughly 1000 miles since install (I drive a long distance for work).
Redline shifts (16-18 psi), random hard driving, and no leaks.
The gasket that came with my set seemed well built. I find it hard to believe someone could screw up a cheap graphite gasket but who knows.
Fel pro runs about 9 bucks at the local parts house.

I think I've answered all the questions you guys may have had?
Let me know if I can help at all :-)

Old 04-30-2016, 12:40 PM
JCWCabrio
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by IQRaceworks
You say that it reduces some torque from the bottom end.....and adds a little on the top end. The R53 motors are already pretty weak under 3000rpms....for a daily driver, it is worth it to loose bottom end power in exchange for a little top end HP?
I notice a lot more power towards redline, the trade-off is minimal with smaller pulley.
Before I had these headers installed top end seemed lacking. Now, it seems like it'd keep pulling, even after the Rev limiter if I tuned it out...

Old 05-07-2016, 03:20 PM
BadeffinLSx
2nd Gear
So does anyone have any pics during install? And how bad are the manifold bolts, do I need to buy new bolts for the header?

Old 05-07-2016, 06:56 PM
JCWCabrio
2nd Gear
So does anyone have any pics during install? And how bad are the manifold bolts, do I need to buy new bolts for the header?
Bolts aren't necessary unless yours are in bad condition.
Here's an install guide I found from a quick Google search:
http://www.billswebspace.com/MCSHeader.htm

It's not major surgery but there are tight spaces...

Old 09-19-2017, 09:37 AM
Black Forest
4th Gear
Received 70 Likes on 45 Posts
Hello,
I was wondering how the header was holding up?

Old 09-28-2017, 03:36 PM
Hot.Damn.
2nd Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Does anyone know of what replacement gaskets work well for the cat/test pipe? Would the oem gasket work for that?

Old 10-10-2017, 02:19 PM
TraPofMinD
Neutral
What NOT to buy

My first cat broke in half, so I decided to buy a cheap header. It is the most popular header on ebay, or Amazon, and it's cheap. It comes in various brands but they all look like they are made by the same manufacturer. At first it looks fantastic, and it is really well made... except for that teeny tiny flex. My header lasted about 3 months before it started leaking at the flex, and a week later it sounds like the loudest beater that you've ever heard. You can't fix it either, you just have to buy another header. That's what led me to this page.... DON"T BUY THIS HEADER!

Top: Original exhaust, broken cat.<br/>Bottom: Super cheap eBay header with 3 month self destructing flex.

Old 11-17-2018, 08:36 AM
daviday
3rd Gear
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Is the take away here that if you go with a cheap header, go with the one that has the bigger/longer piece of flex?

My r50 is approaching 150k miles on likely, the original cat. I'm averaging about 25mpg. As anyone with an r50 knows, the low end power is horrible.

Can anyone with a base cooper comment on these? Power, sound, etc.