R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 shipping a mini

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2015, 03:20 PM
808keith
4th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
shipping a mini

shipping/body shop/etc.

So not trusting the shipping companies I came across this video of zip tying the bypass valve to kinda put it into a manual safe mode. Anyone got any other ideas so the guys transporting don't have their fun? It happens here in Hawaii.. see it all the time. The sub contracted guys moving the vehicles shipped here from the port to place of pick up driving like hoonigans and ragging peoples cars.

Old 11-30-2015, 04:11 PM
Nicefeet
5th Gear
Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
Why make the guy that’s transporting your cars life a bit more miserable?

If the engine won’t rev he’s probably going to slip the **** out of your clutch going up the ramps or around the depot just to get it to move. This will happen after he stalls it a few times.

I’d venture to say 99% of the transporters out their just want your car off their trailer so they can get on with the next job and home.

The best insurance against damage is making sure your fluids are topped off, your cooling fan works, paint is detailed and nothing is in the car.

Old 11-30-2015, 05:13 PM
808keith
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Nicefeet
Why make the guy that’s transporting your cars life a bit more miserable?

If the engine won’t rev he’s probably going to slip the **** out of your clutch going up the ramps or around the depot just to get it to move. This will happen after he stalls it a few times.

I’d venture to say 99% of the transporters out their just want your car off their trailer so they can get on with the next job and home.

The best insurance against damage is making sure your fluids are topped off, your cooling fan works, paint is detailed and nothing is in the car.
you can drive it just fine until you try go into the fun zone high rpms. so not making anyone's life miserable but protecting my investment... like you said the fast they move vehicles the faster they're onto the next job. I've seen them here in hawaii driving like aholes moving the cars from port to pick up.

Old 11-30-2015, 05:49 PM
Nicefeet
5th Gear
Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by 808keith
you can drive it just fine until you try go into the fun zone high rpms. so not making anyone's life miserable but protecting my investment... like you said the fast they move vehicles the faster they're onto the next job. I've seen them here in hawaii driving like aholes moving the cars from port to pick up.
Why not cut the ebrake cables and ship it with an empty tank? One could still do ebrake slides and one wheel peels.

This not a Ferrari 250 GTO or a 4 Cam Porsche 356.

Old 11-30-2015, 08:32 PM
808keith
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Nicefeet
Why not cut the ebrake cables and ship it with an empty tank? One could still do ebrake slides and one wheel peels.

This not a Ferrari 250 GTO or a 4 Cam Porsche 356.
You're exactly right but I do care what I invest my time and money in. To each their own on how much they care about their things. But to me, I really like my extremely clean low mileage jcw. Thanks though for your comments.

Old 11-30-2015, 11:20 PM
Kahnfucious
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You're exactly right but I do care what I invest my time and money in. To each their own on how much they care about their things. But to me, I really like my extremely clean low mileage jcw. Thanks though for your comments.
I think you are being a little over cautious bc how much fun can you really have from dock to delivery point? I think your method would work..try it. It's pretty reversible.

There isn't a tuner like APR or REVO for mini that offers a switcher to get into valet mode. I don't know how to force the car into limp mode.

Admitting my geographical stupidity here but where are you shipping within Hawaii that you can't just drive it yourself? On/off ferries etc?

Old 12-01-2015, 09:32 AM
808keith
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Kahnfucious
I think you are being a little over cautious bc how much fun can you really have from dock to delivery point? I think your method would work..try it. It's pretty reversible.

There isn't a tuner like APR or REVO for mini that offers a switcher to get into valet mode. I don't know how to force the car into limp mode.

Admitting my geographical stupidity here but where are you shipping within Hawaii that you can't just drive it yourself? On/off ferries etc?
From Hawaii to mainland (United States). It's ok. Plenty of people still think we live in grass huts.

I think zip tying the bypass valve will do the trick

Old 12-02-2015, 03:21 AM
Kahnfucious
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
From Hawaii to mainland (United States). It's ok. Plenty of people still think we live in grass huts. I think zip tying the bypass valve will do the trick
Do you wear grass skirts as well and do fire dances for fertility and good crops?

Good luck with the shipping to mainland. I am sure it will be fine. Just mark down the mileage and write it on a post it note clearly and prominently posted inside the car and clearly state with the shipper that you don't want the car driven more than necessary. Plus the zip the trick.

Good luck

Old 12-02-2015, 08:13 AM
David.R53
5th Gear
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Velcro a box to the dash board in plain view that says "ACME Satellite Speed and Location Tracker" on it.

$20 for a vinyl label and an electronics enclosure .... ��

Old 12-02-2015, 03:58 PM
Capt_bj
OVERDRIVE
Received 281 Likes on 237 Posts
I shipped a car once

they were **** about documenting the car at pickup

many pictures ......

a picture of the miles out

should solve most concerns ... date stamped or with a local reference ....

Old 12-03-2015, 10:57 AM
808keith
4th Gear
Originally Posted by David.R53
Velcro a box to the dash board in plain view that says "ACME Satellite Speed and Location Tracker" on it.

$20 for a vinyl label and an electronics enclosure .... ��
LOL good idea.

Originally Posted by Capt_bj
I shipped a car once

they were **** about documenting the car at pickup

many pictures ......

a picture of the miles out

should solve most concerns ... date stamped or with a local reference ....
Well I hope it is different going from here back to the mainland. I've seen them how they drive the cars from port to customer pick up location and always thought thank goodness that's not my car..