R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 HELP 2006 MCS wont take antifreeze after hike on pikes peak

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2015, 07:16 AM
Steffen.Johnson
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
HELP 2006 MCS wont take antifreeze after hike on pikes peak

Good Morning All,

This past weekend I had a very unpleasant experience with my 2006 Mini Cooper S (Barnaby). I wanted to get away on a little road trip with my girlfriend and I and decided to take my mini along for the ride. When we got to Colorado Springs, CO the next day we decided to climb Pikes Peak (14000') with my mini, yea I know not the best idea . Long story short we get close to the bottom of the mountain road and the fan will not kick off it is running non stop and the car begins to overheat. I pulled over let it cool and then made it to the bottom. I soon noticed much of the coolant had blown out the bottom. I pulled into a autozone and let it cool for over 3 hours before starting it up and trying to refill the coolant. The car took the coolant and then after about 3 min spit it all out all over the parking lot again. I think this could be the thermostat but I am not sure. Being that I wasnt from the area and had to leave my car overnight at a dealer (sunday) I had it towed to the BMW shop, and that is where the car currently sits. Please help me as to what to do??? I had to go back home for a emergency so my car is at the BMW dealer about 8hrs away.

Old 06-22-2015, 12:57 PM
Aspen
4th Gear
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Where is the coolant coming out? It is not clear in your post.
Do you have a hole in your rad or hose?
Is it coming out of the overflow tank?
Is the supercharger seized causing the water pump to fail?

Old 06-22-2015, 01:38 PM
PelicanParts.com
Vendor
Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
Yes, were you able to locate exactly where the leak was coming from? I know the tanks have issues. Due to an apparent manufacturing defect, the coolant expansion tank on the MINI Cooper tends to leak along the molding seam. This defect was supposedly fixed on cars from 2005-up, however it still seems to strike at random. Can read more about it here. Otherwise, it dumping so much fluid in such a short period of time seems like something more is going on. If it's a radiator issue, the most vulnerable components in the entire system are the radiator and the heater core, as they tend to be damaged by corrosion and electrolysis. Poor maintenance of the system can result in the build-up of corrosion elements in both the radiator and heater core, creating clogs and leaks that decrease cooling performance. More info here.

-Luccia

888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST
Old 06-22-2015, 01:52 PM
Steffen.Johnson
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Aspen
I was unable to locate where the leak is coming from because I was in CO visiting and had no access to tools or anything really as it happened on a Sunday. After filling the tank from the top while the car was running the car took in the appropriate amount and I filled it to between the MAX and MIN mark on the expansion tank. About 3 min later it all pissed out of the bottom around the radiator or hoses but I had no access to see where exactly, at that moment the fan kicked on and I shut the car off and called the tow truck. The supercharger seems to be fine as I drove it fine minutes before the issue I am thinking thermostat, water pump, radiator hose or radiator but have no idea I left the car at the BMW dealer in CO and drove back 8 hours in a rental to Kansas.

Old 06-22-2015, 02:00 PM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,966 Likes on 1,766 Posts
Sorry to hear this that stink :(

If its thermostats it would leak down over the transmission.

http://www.ecstuning.com/Search/SiteSearch/ES2724235__ES2724236__ES2724237/

DIY here:

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...at-change.html

If you a coolant line came off or split check the two up front.

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/show...diagId=17_0233

Also check the radiator at the neck :

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...luid-leak.html

last but not leak Check the expansion tank :

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...t-leaking.html

Someone just had the T unit come apart also:

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...fill-tank.html

Hope you can get it fixed.

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 06-22-2015, 02:05 PM
Steffen.Johnson
6th Gear
Originally Posted by ECSTuning
Sorry to hear this that stink :(

If its thermostats it would leak down over the transmission.

http://www.ecstuning.com/Search/SiteSearch/ES2724235__ES2724236__ES2724237/

DIY here:

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...at-change.html

If you a coolant line came off or split check the two up front.

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/show...diagId=17_0233

Also check the radiator at the neck :

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...luid-leak.html

last but not leak Check the expansion tank :

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...t-leaking.html

Someone just had the T unit come apart also:

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...fill-tank.html

Hope you can get it fixed.
Thanks for all of the suggestions, and help. It was a leak or **** closer to the front near the bumper. So I guess it couldnt be the thermostat? Also the cap of the expansion tank looked like it shot some out of there as well.

Old 06-22-2015, 02:15 PM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Originally Posted by Steffen.Johnson
Thanks for all of the suggestions, and help. It was a leak or **** closer to the front near the bumper. So I guess it couldnt be the thermostat? Also the cap of the expansion tank looked like it shot some out of there as well.
Welcome.

Sounds like the radiator or the neck of the radiator. When it overheated it over pressures the cap.

You have the links. Let us know what you find.

Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 06-22-2015, 02:19 PM
Steffen.Johnson
6th Gear
Welcome.

Sounds like the radiator or the neck of the radiator. When it overheated it over pressures the cap.

You have the links. Let us know what you find.
I would be doing all this myself but I had to leave it in CO and return to Kansas for work, school, etc. So it is currently at the mercy of the BMW dealer in Colorado Springs.

Old 06-22-2015, 04:47 PM
Steffen.Johnson
6th Gear
I just received a call from the Colorado Springs BMW and they said right now its looking like a lower radiator hose that was faulty. They are getting the part tmrw from Denver MINI and then trying to pressurize the system and test it to make sure it wont overheat anymore. I just hope it didn't go too hot for too long..FINGERS CROSSED. I dont think the head or engine is damaged because it starts right up with no codes and doesn't have any smoke coming out of the tailpipe etc.

Old 06-23-2015, 05:20 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Thanks for the update that was ones of my guesses is one of the front rad hoses. How long was it hot and did it peg ? If it was very brief you should be ok. Have them pressure test it and inspect everything and hope you can get going again.

Old 06-23-2015, 08:06 AM
Steffen.Johnson
6th Gear
Thanks for the update that was ones of my guesses is one of the front rad hoses. How long was it hot and did it peg ? If it was very brief you should be ok. Have them pressure test it and inspect everything and hope you can get going again.
You and my dad both haha he said the same thing. Now hopefully when the part (hose) is installed itll hold pressure and didn't damage anything else. It was hot for a while because I was at the top of a mountain when it happened I kept pulling over to let it cool off with the fan and then coasted down the peak. What do you mean by peg?

Old 06-23-2015, 08:09 AM
Aspen
4th Gear
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
By "peg" he means did the temp. gauge go all the way over to the edge of the dial at "hot".

Old 06-23-2015, 08:26 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Welcome.

Yea, Pegs = goes all the way to the top on hot. And stays there. Sorry, should have been more clear.

Sounds like it went over half way on normal temp , so maybe 3/4 mark a couple times.

Old 06-23-2015, 08:50 AM
Steffen.Johnson
6th Gear
By "peg" he means did the temp. gauge go all the way over to the edge of the dial at "hot".
Welcome.

Yea, Pegs = goes all the way to the top on hot. And stays there. Sorry, should have been more clear.

Sounds like it went over half way on normal temp , so maybe 3/4 mark a couple times.
Ok got it. Well I dont have a temp gauge on my cluster since I have the NAV but I did notie the red temp light flashing on my console so I figured that meant to pull over. I had a leak and could smell it. The fan continuously kicked on and "cooled it off" then it would shut off (fan). I then filled it with coolant again and then parked it at a autozone. Let it cool off for 3 hours and then tried to get it to hold coolant one last time before it pissed it all out again. And I then had it towed. So it may have pegged a few times because I was trying to get down the mountain road from the top where it overheated.

Old 06-23-2015, 08:58 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Yea, sorry , forgot you have Nav. On the OBC under menu / computer, i dont think you get a coolant temp reading .

You would have a P3 cars gauge to see all those extras.

Or something like that.

I hope it did not peg all the way for some time.

Old 06-23-2015, 09:06 AM
Steffen.Johnson
6th Gear
Yea, sorry , forgot you have Nav. On the OBC under menu / computer, i dont think you get a coolant temp reading .

You would have a P3 cars gauge to see all those extras.

Or something like that.

I hope it did not peg all the way for some time.
Ive been meaning to pick one of those up they are pretty neat and useful. IF the car survives this I will have to look into it. I am pretty sure now that you say it did Peg for a bit a few times...But the engine starts right up with no smoke or engine lights? Maybe I was lucky?

Old 06-23-2015, 09:21 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Yea, the P3 cars gauge is worth it, reads and clears codes also.

http://www.ecstuning.com/Search/SiteSearch/P3M53U/

The only way I think have MINI Dealership hook up the computer and they can read out the history report on the temp and see how long and how high.

Hopefully you are fine.

Old 06-23-2015, 09:45 AM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts
Wow...
Wonder what a dealer charged for a hose change...if the lower burst, you might want to consider changing the others, including the heater hoses...pretty cheap and easy. Heck, the lower one is the hardest one...and it has been done!! Much cheaper to do them PROACTIVELY, as opposed to after the fact...heck changed a hose in a parking lot once...worked, but was a pain...took an hour to do a 15 minute job due to lack of tools, etc...
Time will tell if the car survives... Sometimes trying to save the $250 tow can cost you $2500+....

Old 06-23-2015, 01:03 PM
Steffen.Johnson
6th Gear
Originally Posted by ZippyNH
Wow...
Wonder what a dealer charged for a hose change...if the lower burst, you might want to consider changing the others, including the heater hoses...pretty cheap and easy. Heck, the lower one is the hardest one...and it has been done!! Much cheaper to do them PROACTIVELY, as opposed to after the fact...heck changed a hose in a parking lot once...worked, but was a pain...took an hour to do a 15 minute job due to lack of tools, etc...
Time will tell if the car survives... Sometimes trying to save the $250 tow can cost you $2500+....
The dealer so far has charged $325 for a diagnostic, hose, install, pressure test and test drive. Ill change the others once I get it back in Kansas from CO in my garage. I am pretty sure the reason this one tore is because the shitty roads of Colorado Springs caused me to bottom out and tear the hose.

The tow was free since I have roadside assistance it was the fact of getting off the damn mountain in order for them to come tow it. As I mentioned it was a Sunday(Fathers Day) and I was VERY limited as to what was open.

Old 06-23-2015, 02:17 PM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts
$325 isn't too bad...
Pikes peak is a fun drive...haven't been there in 10 years, but if the day is clear, WOW!
Always laughed when you see folks trying to light up a cigarette on top....and then after struggling...they almost pass out after a few puffs!!

Old 06-23-2015, 02:28 PM
Steffen.Johnson
6th Gear
$325 isn't too bad...
Pikes peak is a fun drive...haven't been there in 10 years, but if the day is clear, WOW!
Always laughed when you see folks trying to light up a cigarette on top....and then after struggling...they almost pass out after a few puffs!!
Yea so far so good on the pricing I hope to keep it that way. The drive and the view was amazing I love CO! But I think my car was the one struggling on this drive. Lets hope the 325 gets me back on the road with no issues if it was the engine warped or blown head gasket I bet itll be a pretty penny!

Old 06-25-2015, 08:56 PM
Racingguy04
5th Gear
Received 118 Likes on 95 Posts
That is a bummer, but isn't that road fun? I had a lower rad hose let go once when I was in high school. the best part was I was at the auto parts store getting stuff for my race car, so it was pretty much the most convenient break down ever.

Old 06-26-2015, 04:04 AM
Steffen.Johnson
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Racingguy04
That is a bummer, but isn't that road fun? I had a lower rad hose let go once when I was in high school. the best part was I was at the auto parts store getting stuff for my race car, so it was pretty much the most convenient break down ever.
The road is really fun but my girlfriend who is afraid of heights didn't think so! The lower hose isn't the huge issue I don't think its more of the overheating, and waiting on the part from them to get shipped thats worrying me more.

Old 07-01-2015, 06:11 PM
Steffen.Johnson
6th Gear
$325 isn't too bad...
Yea, the P3 cars gauge is worth it, reads and clears codes also.

http://www.ecstuning.com/Search/SiteSearch/P3M53U/

The only way I think have MINI Dealership hook up the computer and they can read out the history report on the temp and see how long and how high.

Hopefully you are fine.
Originally Posted by PelicanParts.com
Yes, were you able to locate exactly where the leak was coming from? I know the tanks have issues. Due to an apparent manufacturing defect, the coolant expansion tank on the MINI Cooper tends to leak along the molding seam. This defect was supposedly fixed on cars from 2005-up, however it still seems to strike at random. Can read more about it here. Otherwise, it dumping so much fluid in such a short period of time seems like something more is going on. If it's a radiator issue, the most vulnerable components in the entire system are the radiator and the heater core, as they tend to be damaged by corrosion and electrolysis. Poor maintenance of the system can result in the build-up of corrosion elements in both the radiator and heater core, creating clogs and leaks that decrease cooling performance. More info here.

-Luccia
So everyone I got a call from the dealer today and they have installed the new lower coolant hose, and the car is no longer overheating!!! With that being said he told me we will be driving it this week and calling me friday to make sure it doesnt build up pressure and overheat. So far no white smoke, no oil and coolant mixed, no check engine light, and the temp is now fine. I have no idea how (because I drove an awful lot on the overheating engine) but it seems to be fine. Is there anything else I should have him check or any tests he should run before I pick it up and do the complete 7.5 hour drive back to Kansas?? Thanks all!!!

Old 07-02-2015, 02:21 PM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Awesome news, I glad you are getting it back, this has been a long trip.

Quick Reply: R50/53 HELP 2006 MCS wont take antifreeze after hike on pikes peak