Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R53) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Bytetronik questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2014, 10:02 PM
Kr4nG
3rd Gear
Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts
Bytetronik questions

Ive been reading about the bytetronik tuning tool for the past few hours and i wanted to clarify some things. They claim its a one vehicle tool. Meaning once purchased and installed to the ecu it is married to that car. Well they say that you can uninstall it from the ecu which takes 5 min to return the ecu back to stock. Once uninstalled can the user reinstall it back to the same ecu? I assume yes. But can you reinstall to a different ecu.

Also if you reset the adaptations on a tuned ecu will the tune be erased or reverted back to stock? Im assuming no the adaptations are different from the tune.

Any feedback on there experience with this tool? Good or bad? Or is there anything better that is out there now.

Old 12-16-2014, 05:37 AM
Saltysalt
6th Gear
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Kr4nG
Ive been reading about the bytetronik tuning tool for the past few hours and i wanted to clarify some things. They claim its a one vehicle tool. Meaning once purchased and installed to the ecu it is married to that car. Well they say that you can uninstall it from the ecu which takes 5 min to return the ecu back to stock. Once uninstalled can the user reinstall it back to the same ecu? I assume yes. But can you reinstall to a different ecu.

Also if you reset the adaptations on a tuned ecu will the tune be erased or reverted back to stock? Im assuming no the adaptations are different from the tune.

Any feedback on there experience with this tool? Good or bad? Or is there anything better that is out there now.

it is a one vehicle tool, meaning once you plug it in into your obd2, it reads your vin and stores it. bytetronik them selves can reset that, you cannot. it can be used for life on that 1 vin number. its a tool that can write to your ecu. once its plugged in, it copies the stock file, which you then can load on your computer, or somewhere, even the SD card than can fit in the unit. and then it loads in another file. which it either made by you, or mynes tuning.

reseting the adaptations are for that tune only. think of your getting rid of windows 7, loading in Linux, and when you no longer want Linux, you can load windows 7 back in

hope this helped, I haven't personally used mine yet, still waiting on time mostly to work on my car

Old 12-16-2014, 09:36 AM
Kr4nG
3rd Gear
Thank you for the reply but I have some more questions.
1. If I custom tune my ecu can the dealer flash over the ecu and reset my tune by putting in their factory tune? Will they get an error saying FA is installed?
2. So if I custom tune my ecu and keep resetting the adaptations my custom tune will still be installed correct?
3. The bytetronik tool does not use live tuning parameters correct? This means you have to data log it first to see what occurs. Then go back in and change your maps and upload. Then data log again to see what occurs second time and on.
4. If a pro tuner wants to become part of the mini tuning community how can they use the bytetronik for multiple vehicles (because they are a business) if only one tool per vehicle is allowed.

Old 12-16-2014, 09:50 AM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Received 757 Likes on 618 Posts
The dealer can only flash over your tune and set it back to stock, but at this point your car is out of warranty so just tell them when you go in NOT to flash your ECU.

Resetting adaptations will NOT effect the tune. The only reason to reset adaptations is if you do a repair. Otherwise you should not be resting the adaptations.
Yes there are NO live tuning, you have to log then adjust.

If a tuner wanted to use it they would have to get a copy for each car as that is how bytetronik makes their money. Otherwise everyone would by one copy and share it

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | IE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more
Old 12-16-2014, 10:28 AM
Saltysalt
6th Gear
and if the dealer flashed it back to stock, mynes has all your files anyways, or youll still have it in an email. they can tune live, but you need dyno access with them

Old 12-16-2014, 11:07 AM
Bytetronik
Former Vendor
Received 83 Likes on 57 Posts
Thank you for the reply but I have some more questions.
1. If I custom tune my ecu can the dealer flash over the ecu and reset my tune by putting in their factory tune? Will they get an error saying FA is installed?
2. So if I custom tune my ecu and keep resetting the adaptations my custom tune will still be installed correct?
3. The bytetronik tool does not use live tuning parameters correct? This means you have to data log it first to see what occurs. Then go back in and change your maps and upload. Then data log again to see what occurs second time and on.
4. If a pro tuner wants to become part of the mini tuning community how can they use the bytetronik for multiple vehicles (because they are a business) if only one tool per vehicle is allowed.
Below are some answers to your questions:
1. If FA is loaded on the ECU, the dealer will NOT be able to write over it. They will get a communication error "unable to communicate with DME/ECU".
2. Adaptation only kicks in to compensate if your current 'tune' is not running correct. If the tune is dialed in, then there is no need to reset adaptations.
3. Correct, no live tuning.
4. We have Dealer discounts available; interested parties should contact us directly.

BT

Old 12-16-2014, 11:50 AM
Kr4nG
3rd Gear
Thank you for all the clarification. I come from the honda scene so the ecu tuning is another world compaired to what needs to be done before they can get into it. My car should never see the dealer anyway cause i do all the work myself. In the future I might consider this tool because it seams the most affordable and fastest way to tune my r53 without buying a standalone ecu. (specs of car in my sig)

Hey bytetronik if i tune my car using your tool will my 2096 code disappear? Well not disappear but sort of straighten the lean code im getting at a certain point. No matter what i do i cant get rid of this code. And only code that I have. Its a lean mixture code that occurs every 320 miles after i reset my adaptations. (factory spec ecu) I still might have an exhaust leak but if i do its deff past my second o2 sensor. Code started happening after i put my header and race cat. To bad i dont have my factory header anymore.

Old 12-17-2014, 05:09 AM
Saltysalt
6th Gear
could have a vaccum leak in the motor to help cause the lean code

Old 12-17-2014, 10:02 PM
Bytetronik
Former Vendor
Hey bytetronik if i tune my car using your tool will my 2096 code disappear? Well not disappear but sort of straighten the lean code im getting at a certain point. No matter what i do i cant get rid of this code. And only code that I have. Its a lean mixture code that occurs every 320 miles after i reset my adaptations. (factory spec ecu) I still might have an exhaust leak but if i do its deff past my second o2 sensor. Code started happening after i put my header and race cat. To bad i dont have my factory header anymore.
It is never a good idea to use Software (tune) to try to solve a hardware problem. The purpose of a tune is to optimize the hardware components, but if the hardware is faulty, then the tune will never never be "perfect"... And this is when the ECU will try to adapt in an attempt to make it run 'right'.

Also check your vacuum line that connects the bottom of the FPR to the underside of the inlet horn... on oem setup, that line can pop out quite easily.

Old 12-21-2014, 06:35 AM
Kr4nG
3rd Gear
Thank you for the suggestions that line is t-ed off into my aem electric boost gauge and i doubt that could be leaking. (I used wire to tighten the hoses) Does the FA program have features to disable codes like the ecu flash does? (Patch fixes) If FA is installed and running on the ecu 100% no codes can the inspection station pass their tests and let you pass inspection or will they get an error. (Im hoping you will pass obd2 tests)
Thank you

Old 12-21-2014, 01:04 PM
Bytetronik
Former Vendor
Thank you for the suggestions that line is t-ed off into my aem electric boost gauge and i doubt that could be leaking. (I used wire to tighten the hoses) Does the FA program have features to disable codes like the ecu flash does? (Patch fixes) If FA is installed and running on the ecu 100% no codes can the inspection station pass their tests and let you pass inspection or will they get an error. (Im hoping you will pass obd2 tests)
Thank you
There are many many FA-installed R53s running around and passing smog inspections

The stock ECU will respond to OBD commands (it just won't allow the FA-loaded ECUs to be flashed over by another tool).

Yes, certain patch fixes are available (more detailed info can be found on the Tech Forum for current FA owners).

Old 12-21-2014, 07:25 PM
Kr4nG
3rd Gear
I really want to thank you for your time answering my questions. I am now confident on purchasing this tool for my needs. Cant wait.

Old 12-21-2014, 09:10 PM
Kr4nG
3rd Gear
to my understanding the tech forum is not available to public until i purchase the product? what if i just want to read peoples comments and learn more about it by reading your forum.