Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R53) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Water meth injection system

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2008, 12:09 AM
D-MAN
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Water meth injection system

Finally got my water meth injection kit installed.
Here are some pics.
A big thanks to Randy from M7 for some tips and advice!

Old 07-10-2008, 02:40 AM
Luys
4th Gear
WoW can you tell me how does it work? Is it easy to install?

Old 07-10-2008, 03:12 AM
D-MAN
5th Gear
Works great
More hp and keeps the temps down.
If you are handy with a spanner you could install it yourself but I left it to the experts

Old 07-10-2008, 04:47 AM
Bahamabart
6th Gear
nice install - looks simple and clean.

What brand is this system?

what mix ratio are you using?

Old 07-10-2008, 05:29 AM
m3456y
1st Gear
I put a water meth system on my NSX. It lowered the air intake temperatures by nearly 100 degrees. It's a simple install and is triggered by boost. The system I bought is available at snowperformance.net You will also find all kind of information about water/meth injection on the site.

Old 07-10-2008, 09:34 AM
jtack
4th Gear
Looks nice! Can you tell a difference in performance? Are you tuned for Meth/Water injection or using it without a tune?

Thanks!

Old 07-10-2008, 09:59 AM
El_Griton
6th Gear
cool. thats a nice set up.

Old 07-10-2008, 10:22 AM
COR BLMY
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Very interesting

Looking forward to hearing your driving impresions.

The Snow site has a HP graph from a mustang with a HUGE initial gain in HP at lower speeds that keeps on climbing ...VERY impressive.
It wet from 458 HP to 560 HP

I downloaded the install instructions and hav a couple of questions.

I see that 1/2 of the HP gain is due to being able to dial in timing. Are you doing that in any way or letting the ECU read and adjust within its specs ?

Where do you buy the Meth/ water "juice"? I see snow has it for $30 for 4 gallons. or can you buy methonal ...somewhere... and blend it yourself.
Any idea how much "juice" it actually uses ???

Old 07-10-2008, 10:25 AM
Luys
4th Gear
D-MAN what exactly do this system ?

Old 07-10-2008, 11:06 AM
m3456y
1st Gear
Originally Posted by COR BLMY
Very interesting

The Snow site has a HP graph from a mustang with a HUGE initial gain in HP at lower speeds that keeps on climbing ...VERY impressive.

I see that 1/2 of the HP gain is due to being able to dial in timing. Are you doing that in any way or letting the ECU read and adjust within its specs ?

Where do you buy the Meth/ water "juice"? I see snow has it for $30 for 4 gallons. or can you buy methonal ...somewhere... and blend it yourself.
It's basically windshield washer fluid - but I buy the stuff called "boost juice" from snow. 4 gallons lasted me a year. I know you can buy it and mix it by bulk as well. Best results come from a dyno tune with the injection. It allows you to run more timing and avoid pre detonation.

Old 07-10-2008, 12:04 PM
mc40mini
2nd Gear
I used to have this system on my SRT-4 and it worked well but I used a product called HEET which u can find at your local autozone and I used a 60-40 ratio 6 parts heet and 4 parts distilled water bc Vegas heat sucks....Good Luck..

Old 07-10-2008, 02:41 PM
D-MAN
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Bahamabart
nice install - looks simple and clean.

What brand is this system?

what mix ratio are you using?
Alky control system, it is a fully variable progressive system - all they do are water meth kits
http://www.alkycontrol.com/
I am currently using a 50/50 mix

Old 07-10-2008, 02:43 PM
D-MAN
5th Gear
Originally Posted by jtack
Looks nice! Can you tell a difference in performance? Are you tuned for Meth/Water injection or using it without a tune?

Thanks!
It is currently not tuned for water meth and I do not know if I will - I am thinking of getting a Halteh interceptor that will allow for the running of 2 maps, 1 for the meth and 1 without. You can switch between the 2 with a press of a button.

Old 07-10-2008, 02:48 PM
jtack
4th Gear
Is the difference noticable?

Old 07-10-2008, 02:50 PM
D-MAN
5th Gear
Originally Posted by COR BLMY
Very interesting

For a mini I think the gains would be in the 10-15 hp range untuned- I am seeing a 10hp gain.
I am still playing around with the settings and hopefully will get it right . As it is a fully adjustable system you can alter when you want the meth to come on and how much etc.
I am making up my own water meth (one advantage of working in a lab).
I am suprised at how much I meth I am using I am not going through as much as I thought (and I am driving it hard) - I have the meth coming on early at around 4psi and increasing with the boost.

Old 07-10-2008, 02:55 PM
D-MAN
5th Gear
Is the difference noticable?
Yes, it is good at keeping the temps down and added 10hp on the dyno

Old 07-10-2008, 09:18 PM
Longboard Mini
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wow, why are you spraying at 4psi? You gaining nothing and only wasting the mix.

I don't start spraying until 12psi and then full spray at 16psi. Max boost for me is 20psi.

Longboard

Old 07-10-2008, 09:57 PM
D-MAN
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Longboard Mini
Wow, why are you spraying at 4psi? You gaining nothing and only wasting the mix.

I don't start spraying until 12psi and then full spray at 16psi. Max boost for me is 20psi.

Longboard
Yeah I agree, but as I said I am still playing around with the system.
I will probably adjust it to come on around 8psi and increase it to max around 12ish.

Old 07-10-2008, 10:24 PM
COR BLMY
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
longboard ...
any other info, reviews ?
specificly HP gain, Intake temp readings, and what ratio are you using

Old 07-10-2008, 10:30 PM
maxmini
6th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I looked into a number of systems before choosing the Alky Control for a variety of reasons. The adjustability of the system and quality of the components are the best I could find . Full stainless lines, in cockpit control and a well constructed fuel cell among others . I have a couple of buddies with 700+ blown vettes that wouldn't turn them on without their meth systems up and running. They run 100% meth which I do as a 5 gal can still lasts me months so why scrimp. The only real problem with mixing water is that water does not compress and you have to be much more dialed in with your mixture or you can have a bit of damage if you over do it . I have mine set to start in at 8lbs of boost.
As for what it does here is an example of a little test I did.
After tooling around town and stopping off at the hardware store my IAT was 136. Outside temp was 94. I decided to see just what the meth was going to do and switched it on at the base of the on ramp to the fwy. I accelerated hard up the ramp and hit 3rd gear . Distance traveled about one eighth mile, IAT 66 Based on this I am actually going to cut back a bit on the mixture as I don't need it to be working this good .

To recap:

ambient temp 94
Starting IAT 136
1/8th mile later IAT 66

Ya it works

Randy
M7 Tuning

Old 07-10-2008, 10:47 PM
D-MAN
5th Gear
Originally Posted by maxmini
I looked into a number of systems before choosing the Alky Control for a variety of reasons. The adjustability of the system and quality of the components are the best I could find . Full stainless lines, in cockpit control and a well constructed fuel cell among others .
I think you would be hard pressed finding a better quality system
I looked at half a dozen different set ups from numerous different companies and the alky control system really stood out.

Old 07-11-2008, 05:51 AM
jtack
4th Gear
Good info Randy! So I am assuming that a 70 degree drop in IAT that you can for sure tell the difference seat of the pants from when it is on and when it is not...would you agree with 10-15 whp for a water/meth injection non tuned?

Thanks!

Old 07-11-2008, 06:11 AM
m3456y
1st Gear
Good info Randy! So I am assuming that a 70 degree drop in IAT that you can for sure tell the difference seat of the pants from when it is on and when it is not...would you agree with 10-15 whp for a water/meth injection non tuned?

Thanks!
With my supercharged NSX and water/methanol injection dropping IAT's by about 90 degrees...my RWHP went from 352 to 362. Only 10 hp difference at the wheels. But...if you are able to tune for the injection...advance the timing...you will see more hp. I made one dyno run with the timing advanced another 2 degrees and gained 15 more RWHP. The water/meth injection helps pevent pre detonation.

Old 07-11-2008, 06:30 AM
Bahamabart
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Longboard Mini

Longboard
Not arguing your points and let me prefix that I have not direct experience w/ W/M. From my limited understanding it, W/M does two things - increase octane and cylinder cooling. From a cooling perspective the more you sprayer or sooner should be beneficial. I appreciate that there is minimal benefit spraying sooner if its HP that is sought = octane.

Have any of you just used water to see what results it produces?

Old 07-12-2008, 08:28 PM
D-MAN
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Bahamabart
Not arguing your points and let me prefix that I have not direct experience w/ W/M. From my limited understanding it, W/M does two things - increase octane and cylinder cooling. From a cooling perspective the more you sprayer or sooner should be beneficial. I appreciate that there is minimal benefit spraying sooner if its HP that is sought = octane.

Have any of you just used water to see what results it produces?
If you just used water you would loose hp...

I was speaking to the guys at the shop and they spent 4 hours with my car on the dyno playing around with the settings. Too much meth and I lost hp, they also said that it was better to inject earlier with less than to dump alot of meth later. They said that this set up for my car was optimal...

My car is going to the shop to fix an unrelated problem so I am going to get them to play around some more with the settings. The only thing is how close are dyno conditions to real world driving?

Quick Reply: Drivetrain Water meth injection system