Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R53) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Water meth injection system

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2008, 01:21 PM
D-MAN
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Smalls
D-man
Have you had any problems with the tank being installed in the "trunk", since on the Alky website is not recommended to install the tank within the interior confine of the car.
Hi Smalls,
There is no problem with the tank mounted in the boot. The alky system comes with a SFI approved fuel cell and they also recommend the pump not be mounted inside the car due to ventialtion/leakage issues. Aso stainless braided lines, solenoids and filters are standard in their kits. The coolest part is the progressive controler - it has a built in low level indicator, a diagnostic mode which allows a low level pressure test of the system (so it will not hydro lock the engine). It also has a system that tells you when the system is activated and spraying.

"Once spraying begins an LED light is illuminated, indicating system activation. As the signal (MAP/MAF/Boost) to the controller increases so does the drive to the pump. Once the system pressurizes, the LED color will change from red to green. This indicates the system now has developed pressure and that hoses, connections, and pump are in proper working order. The “rate of change” from red to green give a predictability of the system. Any noticeable changes to this “transitional time” will be an indication of a system issue."

I am running dual maps at the moment with a "tune" specifically for the meth. The kit is working great but I am still playing around with it. I have a nozzle post IC and I am adding a second pre IC - I have booked dyno time next week to see if this makes any difference.

Originally Posted by Smalls
Also are you monitoring your A/F ratio?
I am running a Haltech interceptor on my car with custom tunes and the A/F's are fine with both maps

If you are interested in the kit give Julio a ring or email he is a top guy and he has helped me alot - I had NFI about meth injection when I started playing around with my kit but it is slowly making sense

If you have any other questions let me know.
D-MAN

Do a search and have alook around as there are several different meth kits on the market...

Last edited by D-MAN; 12-31-2008 at 01:42 PM.
Old 07-15-2010, 07:15 AM
dutch2081
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by blue al
liking the plug and play after initial installion, the whole loosing the trunk thing was killing the idea for me...
how many hours for the install?
i plan on using the stock rear windsheild washer fluid tank.....does that tank have a factory low level light...???if so that would be killer

Old 07-15-2010, 08:43 AM
ggcadc
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i dont think any of the tanks have a low level light in our cars...

Old 07-15-2010, 11:04 AM
Act_04
4th Gear
Originally Posted by dutch2081
i plan on using the stock rear windsheild washer fluid tank.....does that tank have a factory low level light...???if so that would be killer
I thought we had one tank for front/rear washers, and the second for headlight sprayers. Maybe it's different if you don't have headlight sprayers.

Also, it would be nice to hear if any of the guys with a W/M system have encountered any problems after having it installed for a couple years. I just read the whole thread and it has been both entertaining and enlightening.

Old 08-20-2013, 11:05 AM
jown.iv
4th Gear
does it matter what fluid you use? i mean, thats a pretty general question, but i mean, for instance, could i run snow perfs boost juice, in an aem kit? or will i have to mix my own? any thoughts/suggestions are appreciated.

Old 08-20-2013, 11:10 AM
mitch171
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Act_04

I thought we had one tank for front/rear washers, and the second for headlight sprayers. Maybe it's different if you don't have headlight sprayers.
The low fluid level indicator is with the HID/headlight sprayer package only. Something to do with the headlight sprayers can be damaged if run dry. And yes two tanks, one for the headlights and one for the others.

Old 08-22-2013, 02:59 PM
jown.iv
4th Gear
can anyone elaborate on the install procedure? mainly the fitting of the nozzle... i have never installed one of these kits before. i am confident i can handle the electrical, running hoses, tank... etc, and i have drilled and tapped a few things in my day, but this is really a one shot deal. any info is appreciated. or, on the other hand, i am located in northeast CT if there are any shops around here that would be willing to install the nozzle for me, while i can handle the rest of the kit installation.

Old 08-22-2013, 04:20 PM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts
Pete over at greasy's garage in mass...about an hour from Hartford ct area does lots of aftermart mini stuff....about 50% of their work is on mini's....think they have done an install or two from chatting with them.....

Old 08-23-2013, 07:35 AM
ignitionmodule
4th Gear
Originally Posted by jown.iv
can anyone elaborate on the install procedure? mainly the fitting of the nozzle... i have never installed one of these kits before. i am confident i can handle the electrical, running hoses, tank... etc, and i have drilled and tapped a few things in my day, but this is really a one shot deal. any info is appreciated. or, on the other hand, i am located in northeast CT if there are any shops around here that would be willing to install the nozzle for me, while i can handle the rest of the kit installation.
Here is a fairly detailed installation summary:
http://www.aquamist.co.uk/vbulletin/...ead.php?t=2002

And here's a dyno graph:
http://howertonengineering.com/mini/

Old 08-25-2013, 05:49 AM
jown.iv
4th Gear
thanks guys. appreciate the info as always. i decided to tackle everything myself. im about halfway done. i have another really, really, reallyyy rookie sounding question here, but with whats at risk, i have to ask, can anyone give me a 100% on which side of the intercooler is the post i/c side? im like 99% that it is the right hand side when looking at it straight on. ive looked at charts, ive visually looked and routed it in my head, but i just want to get a 3rd green light before i start making holes.

Old 08-25-2013, 05:57 AM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts
Most of the installs I have seen are on the drivers side toward the center... Thermodynamically it would make more sense post, rather than pre intercooler...
But the links for devils own to blimeys (and all the ones I have seen) shows it (standing infront of the car on the right sc horn) auto-x cooper has to good link to his blog for tips on the drilling of the sc horn and the install removal tricks.....
You guys make me want to spend the $300 or so and unhit the pause button on my mods....

Old 02-11-2014, 12:03 PM
cbbarrentine
1st Gear
i made my own kit using a simple 12vdc pump from harbor freight an adjustable hobbs switch from napa a normally closed 12vdc fluid solenoid and a nozzle i found online. a windshield washer fluid reservoir i found at the junk yard some tubing clamps and wires. works great. total cost was under 200 bucks.

I dont use it for power gain and dont have it tuned for it I only use it for cooling and cleaning purposes.

Last edited by cbbarrentine; 02-11-2014 at 12:20 PM.