R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 New Key

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2007, 12:48 PM
BackBayMini
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Key

Hi everyone,

I need an additional key for my '03 MC. I was told it is almost $135 from a dealer.

Any alternatives?

Old 10-03-2007, 01:18 PM
navycav3
3rd Gear
you just need an extra key? is your other key not working?

Old 10-03-2007, 03:53 PM
goldcountrymini
6th Gear
I don't think there are any alternatives to the MINI key situation. it's a drag. I think my dealer quoted me $200 on delivery day so at $135 you're lucky. Maybe check w/ Classic to see if they have a better deal and mention your a NAM member. See the vendor directory for their info

Old 10-03-2007, 05:59 PM
thulchatt
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
If you don't need the remote function think about getting a spare valet key, the plastic one that comes with the manual.
I was told they are only about $25.

Old 10-03-2007, 06:18 PM
o4amini
6th Gear
We got an extra key (not plastic and not remote ready) for $45.

Old 10-03-2007, 08:18 PM
DKCooper
1st Gear
When I bought my Mini I only received one key with it. The key was $135.00 plus programming the key to your car. That is how you get to about $200.00

When they charge you for the programming, it is not a by key price. The charge for programming was no different for 1 or 2 keys at my dealer. For what that is worth, but I bought 2 keys and had a signle $65 dollar charge for programming.

Old 10-04-2007, 06:34 AM
k_h_d
6th Gear
I bought two spare valet keys for spares and I only have one working remote key. I just bought a Remote key off of ebay for $25. You can take out the insides and swap them as well as swap the meta cut key so that you have a newly working remote. Much cheaper thean the dealer...

Old 10-04-2007, 08:44 AM
thulchatt
6th Gear
Originally Posted by k_h_d
I bought two spare valet keys for spares and I only have one working remote key. I just bought a Remote key off of ebay for $25. You can take out the insides and swap them as well as swap the meta cut key so that you have a newly working remote. Much cheaper thean the dealer...
Did you have any problems reprograming the keys/remote from Ebay?
I have seen these keys but was not sure how well the reprograming would work.

Old 10-04-2007, 09:13 AM
Speedwing
4th Gear
The programming is in the BCU module of the MINI. New keys are coded to the MINI, not programmed. Coding the keys to the MINI is a quick simple process. BMW keys are coded to the BMWs in exactly the same way.

Properly coded, the MINI knows it's keys. Get in the MIN and leave the door open. Put the key near but not in the ignition. The MINI will start chiming.

The MINI also stores data on it's keys, like the mileage.

Old 10-04-2007, 03:26 PM
wvphoto
3rd Gear
i just ordered a new key for my 05 from the mini dealer in columbus ohio
160 programmed..
the key with the remote..
wow..
that is pricey

there are a few on ebay for 75 $ .
but you have to have them cut..
then
if the locksmith screws it up ??? you are out..

Old 11-06-2007, 09:10 AM
sedmund
Neutral
anybody knows if the code on the back of the key helps?i checked one on ebay with the same code as mine, the cut pattern of the metal part is the same as the one i have, not sure the programming part though.

Old 11-06-2007, 11:09 AM
CooperGear
Banned
Too bad you didn't steal your car out from under someone. The someone in question worked at the dealership where I got my car. The someone was driving the car for 3 days and getting his financing together. I came in and snatched it up out from under him. MINI ordered me a 2nd key so I had all of them. Fast forward 21 months later, the someone, my mechanic gives me the 3rd key to my MINI. I now have 3 real keys and the plastic spare for my '05.

Old 11-07-2007, 03:59 AM
nolimit
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by o4amini
We got an extra key (not plastic and not remote ready) for $45.
This is what I did. Ordered 2 non remote function keysa for $40 each no programing required.

Old 11-07-2007, 05:06 AM
JAB 67
6th Gear
Received 57 Likes on 50 Posts
For a duplicate non-plastic, non-remote, key I was quoted $35.00 by my dealer. I was told that I would have to personally order it at the dealer, present vehicle registration, and that the key would be sent from MINI HQ in New Jersey. I can't remember whether the key would be sent to me, or whether I would have to pick it up at the dealer.

Old 11-09-2007, 06:18 PM
TBOB
1st Gear
My early 2002 came with two keys, but only one with the remote function. I've misplaced the remote key I know it's some where at my house, since the MINI is in the garage, and I had to look for the non remote key. Anyway, the MINI dealer in OKC quoted me $150, plus $40 for programming. I need to replace it, since I now only have the one key, but keep thinking that I'll open a drawer and there it is!!!

Old 11-27-2007, 12:49 PM
longboarder81
2nd Gear
I just left BMW - MINI of Murray here in Salt Lake. They wanted $49.95 for the plastic valet key!!! WTF!?! Does this seem outrageous to anyone else???

Old 11-27-2007, 01:06 PM
thulchatt
6th Gear
Check with Classic. Last time I asked it about $30 there.

Old 11-27-2007, 01:21 PM
hahnsie
you know im sexy
having to pay for programming,,,that seems silly to me, in germany i went to the dealer and they did it in about 2 minutes for free

Old 11-27-2007, 01:24 PM
longboarder81
2nd Gear
If I were to buy an uncut remote key, where could I get it cut? It has to be laser cut, right?

Old 12-06-2007, 12:51 PM
longboarder81
2nd Gear
Well, as I found out, these keys are NOT laser cut, but are machine cut. And my new remote key cost $130. But now I'm debating on whether or not to get it programmed for another $50! Any thoughts???

Old 05-05-2008, 09:20 AM
MacBones
1st Gear
I would also like to know where I can get this cut...I just bought a blank off of ebay. The programming instructions are posted in a few place here in the forums (forget where right now)...although I'm not sure if that programming is for more than just opening/closing the locks.

Old 05-07-2008, 06:42 PM
MacBones
1st Gear
I got the blank cut today and it seems to work fine. I programmed the key to open/close locks and the top - no problem. Here's where it fails. If I put the key in the ignition, it turns without any problem but the car doesn't start almost as if the battery is dead. I put the old key in the ignition and it starts up just fine. I put the new key in and now, it works. Clearly I can't rely on this key at the moment but I wonder if perhaps it just needs to be charged up (I've left it sitting in the ignition, engine off, hoping it will charge). Does anyone have any ideas?

BTW - my local locksmith that does cars was able to cut it with no problems.

Old 05-07-2008, 11:03 PM
jessicasprouse
3rd Gear
i have an 08, and so i can only use the remote key for starting the ignition. in the event i need to get a new one, does anyone know what the price would be? im not too worried about it, since i got 2 key fobs with my mini, but i wanted to know just in case.

Old 07-01-2008, 08:06 AM
TomThumbs
1st Gear
Hi. New here and don't know if it's more of a faux pas to hijack a dead related thread or start a new one on a re-hashed topic. Sorry if I made the wrong choice! :)

I recently acquired an 03 MCS which came with only one key (remote). It works fine but obviously I would like to have a spare. I bought one on eBay, and yesterday had it cut locally. The fellow who cut it asked if it needed to be programmed. I said "sure" and he pulled out some electronic device and using both new and old keys "programmed" it.

We went out to my car, and the new key opened the door and actually started the vehicle. I was thrilled, expecting that I would need to have something else done by a dealer to get it working. More thrilling was the fact that he wasn't going to charge me a dime. I tried to give him a 20 at least and he finally took $5. ("Wasn't five minutes of work" he said. Nice guy) Of course the remote didn't work, and for the time-being that's fine. I just need a spare to get in and crank up the car for now.

Anyway, when I get home I tried it again and it wouldn't crank the car. Key fits ignition fine, but car acts as though I weren't stepping on the clutch. No starter turnover.

It occured to me that when he was trying out the key he had my good key in his hand as well, probably close enough to the "proximity antenna" or whatever it's called in the ignition to make the car's electronics think it was the old key.

I've tried to call the nearest dealership service dept. to ask this question but keep getting voicemail. My question is: to code the key to my car do I physically have to bring my car in or is there some way of doing it by VIN? Again, the remote function is secondary for now. The nearest dealer is over 2 hours away and I hate to drive all the way over there just for a key. If it could be done by VIN maybe I could just mail it to them, pay by CC, and have them mail it back.

BTW, this forum is quite the wealth of information and overall seems to be very civil.

Thanks in advance for any advice on my situation.

Tom

Old 07-03-2008, 03:00 PM
frenchie
4th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Key

Each key has a unique signature. This information will need to be entered into the Body Control Module (BCM) located inside the vehicle.

You are allowed to enter up to 10 unique signatures total.

After that the BC will have to be replaced if another incident is required.

The key is a transponder; it receives and transmits radio frequencies.

When the ignition is actuated, an RF signal is sent to the key. This signal energizes the battery (if you will) and powers on the key. I am not referring to the battery for the remote.

Once powered on the key transmits an RF signal to the antennae mounted in the base if the ignition lock.

The signature is evaluated by the BCM; if recognized the starter will actuate.

The dealer uses a tool to read the signature from the new key and enter it into BCM. While you are there have them program the remote to open the windows and roof and other features available.

Hope this help!

Quick Reply: R50/53 New Key