Stainless Steel brake lines. What are the advantages?

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2018, 06:23 PM
normtrum
3rd Gear
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Stainless Steel brake lines. What are the advantages?

Hi everyone - I hope everybody is having a great Thanksgiving weekend!

So I did search through a lot of threads on this, but can somebody please explain to me the advantages of using stainless Steel brake lines? So as you can see I have a 2016 f56 JCW. The reason I’m asking, is I am about to switch out my rotors with my Stoptech drilled and slotted rotors. I will also be using G-Loc r8’s brake pads on the back, and r10’s on the front. The other reason I’m asking is because WeyMotors has their SS brake lines on sale for 50% off! I mean wow....what a great deal. I will also be using Castrol SRF racing fluid.

So again can someone please explain the advantages of SS brake lines? Is it worth the change from stock?

Thanks!

Old 11-23-2018, 08:00 PM
co0p3r
4th Gear
Received 65 Likes on 51 Posts
Mainly Pedal Feel - with a brand new car that does not see the track I doubt you will notice, but they will last longer, and feel better. If you are going to go up in fluid rating, or type sometime the Teflon lined steel braid is required.

If you can afford the added expense and are going to be doing the work anyway then go for it.

Old 11-23-2018, 08:22 PM
normtrum
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by co0p3r
Mainly Pedal Feel - with a brand new car that does not see the track I doubt you will notice, but they will last longer, and feel better. If you are going to go up in fluid rating, or type sometime the Teflon lined steel braid is required.

If you can afford the added expense and are going to be doing the work anyway then go for it.

Thanks for the advice Coop. It’s tough not to take advantage of the sale prices. I would think that 50% off doesn’t happen too often.

Old 11-24-2018, 07:19 AM
normtrum
3rd Gear
Bumping this thread. Thanks for any further thoughts.

Mike

Old 11-24-2018, 09:17 AM
cooper48
6th Gear
Received 549 Likes on 446 Posts
The stainless steel braid keeps the hose from expanding under pressure which, theoretically, provides better feel and stopping power. Used them on my custom motorcycles for years but only for the look since they were exposed. I feel it's a total waste of money unless you intend to track the car.

Old 11-24-2018, 09:40 AM
J_L
5th Gear
Received 114 Likes on 86 Posts
Great deal- I think I'll spring for this too. The last car that I put stainless lines in, I didn't notice a difference. But for $99... eh, worth a try.

Now just thinking what fluid to go with... was eyeing the Motul 600, but I guess you're supposed to change it every year. Now thinking to stick with OEM. I don't actually need a racing fluid, but I do need to spend less time and $ on the car... =)

Old 11-24-2018, 10:25 AM
normtrum
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by J_L
Great deal- I think I'll spring for this too. The last car that I put stainless lines in, I didn't notice a difference. But for $99... eh, worth a try.

Now just thinking what fluid to go with... was eyeing the Motul 600, but I guess you're supposed to change it every year. Now thinking to stick with OEM. I don't actually need a racing fluid, but I do need to spend less time and $ on the car... =)
Ya I agree the price I’m seeing on WeyMotorworks is tough to pass up. So my problem....as usual is the fact that my f56 is a JCW. So now when I go onto their site, it looks like I have only 1 option, and that’s both 1set of rears, and set of fronts. So all 4 for $149. And I’m still not 100% sure they are specific to my ‘16 f56 JCW. I think the brake lines that Wey is showing are actually from NM as well.

ok let me update this: the price for all four lines is actually only $99.95! But again here’s my dilemma....it says they are for a f56 mini, AND for a f56 MCS. So once again I’m not sure they will work on my JCW. Here’s what I’m looking at:
https://www.waymotorworks.com/stainl...5-f56-f57.html

Last edited by normtrum; 11-24-2018 at 10:45 AM. Reason: I gave the wrong price
The following users liked this post:
WayMotorWorks (11-25-2018)
Old 11-24-2018, 10:41 AM
Minnie.the.Moocher
OVERDRIVE
Received 570 Likes on 486 Posts
This guy's videos are usually pretty well thought out, tested and presented.

Old 11-24-2018, 11:29 AM
J_L
5th Gear
Received 114 Likes on 86 Posts
Originally Posted by normtrum

Ya I agree the price I’m seeing on WeyMotorworks is tough to pass up. So my problem....as usual is the fact that my f56 is a JCW. So now when I go onto their site, it looks like I have only 1 option, and that’s both 1set of rears, and set of fronts. So all 4 for $149. And I’m still not 100% sure they are specific to my ‘16 f56 JCW. I think the brake lines that Wey is showing are actually from NM as well.

ok let me update this: the price for all four lines is actually only $99.95! But again here’s my dilemma....it says they are for a f56 mini, AND for a f56 MCS. So once again I’m not sure they will work on my JCW. Here’s what I’m looking at:
At least on the NM site, they list the same lines for both S and JCW. I believe I read in another thread that they are the same. You could also look up the OEM part #s. But yeah I think you'd be fine.

Old 11-24-2018, 01:05 PM
normtrum
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by J_L
At least on the NM site, they list the same lines for both S and JCW. I believe I read in another thread that they are the same. You could also look up the OEM part #s. But yeah I think you'd be fine.
yes it looks like you are spot on. The NM site has the same part numbers. You can also see what a great deal you’re getting from Wey. Thank you so much for your help.

Did you go ahead and place an order yourself?

WayMotorWorks (11-25-2018)
Old 11-24-2018, 01:13 PM
normtrum
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Minnie.the.Moocher
This guy's videos are usually pretty well thought out, tested and presented.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6LJiPDAr9f8
Wow! That was tremendously helpful! I can’t thank you enough for sharing that video with me. I’m sold. I will place my order online.....wait for it.....wait.....NOW!

thanks again!

mike

Old 11-25-2018, 07:11 PM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Received 756 Likes on 618 Posts
Yes the F56 stainless lines are the same for the S and JCW. The biggest thing is the feel of the brake pedal as they do expand less than the stock rubber lines. For $99 it's a good bang for the buck and we always have them in stock. Our lines are also direct replacements for the stock so they will bolt right on.

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | IE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more
Old 11-26-2018, 08:57 AM
normtrum
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by WayMotorWorks
Yes the F56 stainless lines are the same for the S and JCW. The biggest thing is the feel of the brake pedal as they do expand less than the stock rubber lines. For $99 it's a good bang for the buck and we always have them in stock. Our lines are also direct replacements for the stock so they will bolt right on.
ok so again to make 100% sure, these brake lines WILL fit my JCW? Correct? I don’t see the f56 JCW listed on your link. I may just be missing something here. Thanks!

oh crap sorry I missed your previous post. My bad.

Old 11-26-2018, 06:27 PM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Received 756 Likes on 618 Posts
Originally Posted by normtrum

ok so again to make 100% sure, these brake lines WILL fit my JCW? Correct? I don’t see the f56 JCW listed on your link. I may just be missing something here. Thanks!

oh crap sorry I missed your previous post. My bad.
Yes if you look at the pics on the bottom of the page in the link you will see they are even on a JCW in those pics.

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | IE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more
normtrum (01-05-2019)