Runflat problems are killing me. No, not literally >

Runflat problems are killing me. No, not literally

Old 06-27-2018, 04:04 PM
dcook3333
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've had 4 damaged tires and 2 (aftermarket) wheels in the last year. Yes, I also have kids who insist they never hit anything. And I live in PA. Pothole country. This is absurd when our other vehicle has had 0 damaged in the same period of time. I'm going to non-runflats and keep a plug kit in the car. I know how to use it and anyone else who uses the car would have to call someone regardless of what kind of tire damage it was. Thoughts?

Old 06-27-2018, 07:04 PM
Minnie.the.Moocher
6th Gear
Received 377 Likes on 330 Posts
Kids! They aren't always truth tellers as I've found out over the years.

Old 06-27-2018, 08:53 PM
dcook3333
Neutral
Originally Posted by Minnie.the.Moocher View Post
Kids! They aren't always truth tellers as I've found out over the years.
Yes. It's a shame. I love the car 2016 4 Door Coupe S. Like it much more than our 2012 we had previously. It's just damaging tire after tire. I'm going to try switching out the runflats for standard tires. Right now I'm running 2 winter tires and 2 summer. Forgot to mention that when the first tire was damaged in the fall, I went out to tire rack and bought a winter tire/wheel set... thinking that would help. I think I made things worse!

I'm not reading or hearing others with this problem... Are there? So I guess the problem is mine alone. 3 of the 4 tires damaged were of different brands, too. 1 hankook, 1 blizzak, and 2 Driveguards.
Think that switching to conventional tire would help?

Old 06-27-2018, 09:09 PM
Minnie.the.Moocher
6th Gear
Received 377 Likes on 330 Posts
On our Countryman, with son driving he has gotten multiple flats on conventional tires. When I used the car previously I had the Run Flats and never got a flat. Unscientific but that is what has happened.

My F56 no issues with tires beyond previous owner not inflating them correctly so they were shot fairly quick into my ownership.

Our F55, has had one leaky tire, RF.

Others have reported issues with the RF tires on MINI, but I don't think that it is a meaningful sample of what really goes on. If non tire changers are running the car, I'd stick with RF tires.

Old 06-27-2018, 10:27 PM
copajoe
2nd Gear
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I just blew a run flat on a pothole less than a week ago. I put on a used tire to serve me as I now looking for a set of 18's that I will put your regular old non run flats on. I have free towing so if I go down again, I'll just wait for the Calvary to show up, or at least a tow truck driver....

Old 06-28-2018, 07:10 AM
miniCPA
4th Gear
Received 75 Likes on 68 Posts
The big dilemma with MINIs. Stick with run flat tires and have a harsh ride that beats up the car or change to non-run flats and risk not having a spare when you need it. Mine had already had non-run flats when I got it.

I explored getting a spare but that was not feasible in the convertible. Even if I had a spare, if the flat was in the front, I would have to put it on the rear and move the rear tire to the front. That would be a great roadside adventure in a suit on the side of a highway.

Next plan was to depend on roadside assistance. The big problem with this plan is the fact that the best roads for a MINI are the ones without cell service.

I asked for an emergency repair kit for father's day. I guess that now that it is nearly July, I should go out and buy it myself.

Old 06-28-2018, 09:57 AM
TVPostSound
6th Gear
Received 141 Likes on 129 Posts
Originally Posted by dcook3333 View Post

I'm not reading or hearing others with this problem... Are there? So I guess the problem is mine alone. 3 of the 4 tires damaged were of different brands, too. 1 hankook, 1 blizzak, and 2 Driveguards.
Think that switching to conventional tire would help?
We don't have your kids!!!

Switching won't help.

Old 06-29-2018, 05:48 AM
J_L
4th Gear
Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts
What size wheels? I'd think 16" would have fewer problems than larger sizes... more rubber between the pothole and the wheel rim!

Old 06-29-2018, 09:02 PM
dcook3333
Neutral
17" they are low profile. I know that's not helping. Thanks for at least giving it some though. We're literally thinking of selling this car because of this problem.. that's not even the cars fault. Maybe it's just not the right car for us right now.