Travel Stories Have an interesting trip in your MINI that you want to share with others? Post it here!

This weekend's mini MINI road trips!

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2019, 08:29 AM
Blue R50
3rd Gear
Received 57 Likes on 47 Posts
This weekend's mini MINI road trips!

I saw this idea proposed in another thread and thought I would get the ball rolling. This thread is for posting pictures and videos of small day trips and weekend trips you take with your MINI. Go out for a drive? Take some pictures and post them here!

I will get the ball rolling with my first pic of my day trip to Tampa and Orlando to hit some junkyards.

Getting some food before hitting I-75:

The following 2 users liked this post by Blue R50:
Oldboy Speedwell (06-15-2019), vetsvette (06-15-2019)
Old 06-15-2019, 10:35 AM
Oldboy Speedwell
6th Gear
Received 736 Likes on 521 Posts

Excellent thread idea!

Right now I'm bustin' knuckles and turnin' spanners doing my sump gasket, crank sensor, oil filter housing gasket, and adding a PowerFlex lower motor mount bush,
but hopefully tomorrow I'm gonna have a nice test drive on some close-to-me roads and I'll throw up some pix if all goes according to plan...

This weekend's mini MINI road trips!-b3zxxox.png

...in the meantime,
I've been keeping a sort of irregular thread thingy (perhaps posted in the wrong sub-forum?) about my work-related travels and the asphalt I encounter along the way,
here:
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ate-route.html

If you check that thread you'll see some junkyard action because I too love visiting the wreckers and ain't nuthin' more fun than a nice afternoon at a good boneyard --- so I'm looking forward to seeing more of your pix as your day unfolds!

Old 06-15-2019, 04:00 PM
Blue R50
3rd Gear
Here are some more pictures from my exciting, hot, sweaty trip to LKQ Tampa U Pull It. It was about 92 degrees out with 80% humidity! I didn't shoot enough video to do anything with, mostly because my phone is dying due to a bad battery and charging port and I didn't want to risk it. I also forgot the impact driver and a drink for some reason, which made the heat all the more miserable.

The MINI I needed was almost all the way back and at the end of the row. I was looking for a MINI hood in the up position as I scanned down the rows but...

2006 MCS in Chili Red, sadly being stripped for parts. It was about as basic an MCS as you could get, with the only options being the center console and autotragic transmission. Still, it was rust and accident free, with original paint, making it a shame to see it scrapped.

I looked and looked, but the other part of that cupholder was nowhere to be found!

I took the console and CD player from the car, as well as the passenger's side lock rod and arm rest. Sadly, it was an automatic or else I may have brought my truck and got the trans.

I felt bad about not having the MINI in more pictures, so I shot this from the bed of my truck.

I didn't end up going to Orlando (Altamonte Springs) in this journey because I found everything I needed in this one car. I still managed to cover around 100 miles for the day (but the day is young and I'm bored!) and averaged around 27 mpg for the trip with the A/C on the whole time. The car really seems to like to run at high speeds. It is so stable that you just don't realize how fast you are going. How fast was I going? Well...

Last edited by Blue R50; 06-15-2019 at 04:12 PM.
Old 06-15-2019, 04:17 PM
A383Wing
6th Gear
Received 246 Likes on 202 Posts
does that new armrest pad stay put or does it need some help as most do? MIne keeps sliding back all the time....I'm considering a couple small hinges on the right side of the pad so it opens up sideways instead of sliding backwards

Bryan

Old 06-15-2019, 04:20 PM
Oldboy Speedwell
6th Gear

Cool beans!

Yep,
these lil' rip snorters seems to like the MPH and high revs,
I know mine does!

That 06 looks pretty fresh on the yard, still lotsa good bits left, all too often if it's there for over a week they're picked clean it seems. More often than not the hood is gone, my white whale is a Pepper White S hood and I ain't had no luck in the yards, but I hold out hope.

It seems that glove box organizers were a pretty popular accessory and I've already found 3 of them as sometimes they go unnoticed when people don't look in the glove box. I find the organizer to be very useful.

I have yet to come across a JCW at a junkyard.

I often browse the LKQ's looking for good stuff, it's cool that they put up pix. Once I found an R53 down at Daytona Beach with full aero kit, but it had been there one week already so I was hesitant to take the long drive down to find a stripped car and didn't go...

This weekend's mini MINI road trips!-fjbhlwu.png
This weekend's mini MINI road trips!-2fyme83.png

...I just hope to get lucky some day and find something like that.

Old 06-15-2019, 04:22 PM
Blue R50
3rd Gear
The pad is broken, but there are some super cheap Chinese replacements on eBay. I think they are around $15-20 including shipping. I am going that route, but I have another console which is in anthracite and I am mixing and matching the two. My dash trim is anthracite, so I feel it will look better.

Old 06-15-2019, 04:33 PM
A383Wing
6th Gear
I got this armrest for my R53 a few years ago just after I got the car.....very well made, and at the right height for me while driving....it holds a lot of stuff, and the top flips up after you push the release button at the front of it....found it on eBay....just under $200 with shipping

Bryan

Old 06-15-2019, 04:39 PM
Blue R50
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Oldboy Speedwell

Cool beans!

Yep,
these lil' rip snorters seems to like the MPH and high revs,
I know mine does!

That 06 looks pretty fresh on the yard, still lotsa good bits left, all too often if it's there for over a week they're picked clean it seems. More often than not the hood is gone, my white whale is a Pepper White S hood and I ain't had no luck in the yards, but I hold out hope.

It seems that glove box organizers were a pretty popular accessory and I've already found 3 of them as sometimes they go unnoticed when people don't look in the glove box. I find the organizer to be very useful.

I have yet to come across a JCW at a junkyard.

I often browse the LKQ's looking for good stuff, it's cool that they put up pix. Once I found an R53 down at Daytona Beach with full aero kit, but it had been there one week already so I was hesitant to take the long drive down to find a stripped car and didn't go...

...I just hope to get lucky some day and find something like that.
I know what you mean. I am on their site several times a week looking for MINIs anywhere from Sarasota to St. Pete to Orlando. This car came in on the 14th and was worth the trip. There are three in Orlando right now, but it's a long drive and I expect them to be stripped of anything good by now. This yard also had an R52 about a month ago but they crushed it so fast it would make your head spin! Sad too, because I would have liked to go back and get some of the interior chrome trim pieces and chrono pack stuff to have as spares. I also need to fix the seat bottom adjuster on mine. This R53 had one, but I was too hot to bother trying to get it without my impact driver!

Old 06-16-2019, 05:39 PM
MiniKar
5th Gear
Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts
Great coverage !

This is what I was saying in my post , Just Do It, Get out and drive.

Some one posted " Drive More- Surf Less" sounds perfect for a new rear window message decal.

I have to admit, one of the reasons I get up early to do my pleasure driving as this is when most
police departments are changing shifts- sorry.

Glad I am not the only one thinking this way. I hope more members can do the same !

Keep Motoring, and post it on NAM.

MiniKar

Old 06-30-2019, 06:51 PM
Blue R50
3rd Gear
I took a wonderful 80 mile drive today but sadly took no pics. You know what's amazing? A stock R50 MINI can keep up with a sport bike in the corners- ask me how I know!

I also had another road trip last weekend with no pics, but it was not in a MINI so I don't think anyone would have wanted to see them. It was in my old Nissan truck and involved picking up a Jeep engine in Deltona with a friend. I think the whole journey was around 250 miles, and also involved a junkyard adventure to the Orlando LKQ U Pull it to look at the three first gen MINIS they had there. Well... maybe some pics would have been appreciated after all...

Last edited by Blue R50; 06-30-2019 at 06:56 PM.
Old 06-30-2019, 07:16 PM
A383Wing
6th Gear
The wife and I took about a 60 mile drive in the '06 R52 JCW car seeing the weather was great, no pics, but the car ran great with no hiccups at all this time

Bryan

Old 07-11-2019, 06:57 PM
MiniKar
5th Gear
Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts
Hi All,
Just returned from Sonoma Raceway for SCCA weekend Regional racing. Took MiniKar for a road trip around 550 miles and got 33 mpg at around 70 mph.
So this trip was from Nevada to Sonoma Raceway via hwy 50 with plenty of drivers doing the vacation thing and of course driving under the posted limit.
Sorry I was in a rush so I could not stop to take photos but will do so during the next trip. I did notice plenty of CHP writing tickets so drive safely but have fun.
MiniKar

Old 05-16-2020, 03:09 PM
Oldboy Speedwell
6th Gear
:

Finally came across my first boneyard JCW.

I was late though and it had been there for a month already, somehow I missed an alert and didn't notice it until random browsing. Decided to take the gamble and drive 1.5 hours to Huntsville expecting to be disappointed by a thoroughly stripped car but was pleasantly surprised to see some good bits left --- most had been already grabbed and gone : brakes, wheels, emblems, s/c & coverplate, airbox --- but everything else remained so I'm stoked.

Didn't take any pix but here's the car:

This weekend's mini MINI road trips!-uh9ukej.png
This weekend's mini MINI road trips!-otxirmg.png

Old 03-12-2022, 03:13 PM
hailey grey
2nd Gear
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
great idea

Last edited by hailey grey; 03-14-2022 at 06:13 AM.