General MINI Talk Shared experiences, motoring minutes, and other general MINI-related discussion that applies to all MINIs, regardless of model, year or trim.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Taking the Alternate Route

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2018, 08:51 AM
Oldboy Speedwell
6th Gear
Received 736 Likes on 521 Posts
Taking the Alternate Route

I'm still getting to know my 06 JCW that I bought in April and at every opportunity I avoid major highways in favor of the twistier bits as I explore and exploit the incredible driving dynamics.

My job carries me to various locations around the southeast and last week it was Kentucky and middle Tennessee --- Mon and Fri are travel days so time is not an issue in most cases and I don't care if it takes an extra hour or two to arrive on location because I've been having such a blast on the curvaceous backroads.

Found some really fun ones last week too!

The only drawback is an accumulation of bug splatter!
Taking the Alternate Route-mlmjkhs.jpg
Taking the Alternate Route-cvmv16g.jpg
Taking the Alternate Route-hfgsvqw.jpg
Taking the Alternate Route-euvzs1a.jpg

Old 08-25-2018, 11:48 AM
NJ Mini
6th Gear
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Glad you’re enjoying the drive!

Griots has a bug and smudge remover and pinnacle just came out with an advanced bug spray that helps get the grime and much off pretty easily pre-wash. Looks like you might need to invest!

Old 08-25-2018, 12:36 PM
Oldboy Speedwell
6th Gear
Originally Posted by NJ Mini
Glad you’re enjoying the drive!

Griots has a bug and smudge remover and pinnacle just came out with an advanced bug spray that helps get the grime and much off pretty easily pre-wash. Looks like you might need to invest!
Definitely!

Thanks for the tip.

Will have to look into the pre-wash bug cleaner!

Old 08-27-2018, 05:48 AM
JABowders
6th Gear
Received 177 Likes on 166 Posts
Great photos.... a MINI photo study on Insects.... <rim shot>

Motor On!

Old 08-27-2018, 06:03 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,966 Likes on 1,766 Posts
When I drive through the farmland around sunset, I get pummeled with bugs.

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 08-27-2018, 06:34 AM
Fly'n Brick
6th Gear
Received 367 Likes on 311 Posts
+1 on Griot's bug remover.
Motorcycle guys like to do much of the same only they make sure their buddies know how to find the best roads.
http://www.motorcycleroads.com/
Add this URL to your MINI favorites folder.

Old 11-17-2018, 09:39 PM
Oldboy Speedwell
6th Gear
Just got back from a particularly grimey roadtrip and in bad need of a wash.

Had a work trip to Winnsboro Louisiana, then New Orleans and circled back home. Then a friend called and needed help for an emergency rush job so I set back out to Jackson Mississippi after a one day rest.

Now finally back home and OldBoy is covered with road grime, went through light snowfall in Alabama on early Thurs. a.m. which added that distinct patina.

Taking the Alternate Route-nbq4vto.jpg
Taking the Alternate Route-arjb78v.jpg

This is why I'll never do a rear wiper delete,
it is much needed in my opinion.

Taking the Alternate Route-yxdtnv2.jpg

I like the road wear and the resulting patina, especially interesting are the visible airflow lines which become somewhat visible.

Taking the Alternate Route-ajvvydw.jpg
Taking the Alternate Route-d6wexkj.jpg
Taking the Alternate Route-8tzt2fl.jpg

The previous owner had good taste and had added some 16x7 Konig Feathers --- I like the wheels but I've always wanted some classic retro minilites so when tire time comes I'm gonna get some Rota RB's in the same 16x7 size, anyway, the Feathers are great for keeping everything clean as they're so open, was also interesting to see the grime lines on the tires:

Taking the Alternate Route-1nzkhrr.jpg

Safely home and ready for a good wash and oil change.

Taking the Alternate Route-iw9lrdl.jpg

On the first trip I went on a sort of junkyard vacation, wanting to hit up some yards on the round trip. I called quite a damn many places and was hoping for finding some mom 'n pop type joints, but none had any MINIs and generally the lil' buggers seem somewhat thin on the ground at your average salvage yard. I did end up stopping by three Pull-A-Parts and one LKQ and got a few things. One aspect which is great for me is that I'm disassembling interior trim that I've yet to do on my own car so I'm also learning along the way as well as scoring spares, and it's just fun too.

At the NOLA P-A-P they had an BRG 04 with green leather interior,
I thought it looked great!

I haven't been around many of these cars and had never seen the green interior...

Taking the Alternate Route-2qvymat.jpg
Taking the Alternate Route-nankbao.jpg

As a cool bonus at NOLA, they sling some Mardi Gras beads on you as you check out,
fun stuff!

Taking the Alternate Route-qwq7qk5.jpg

The last yard I hit was LKQ and it was raining. You can barely see a red R53 which had been there a couple of months and was stripped clean just about, but there was also a 2 day fresh 06 R52 that I got some goodies from so it was worth the visit.

Taking the Alternate Route-dqhrs0w.jpg

Neat highlight of the NOLA yard was seeing an old Merc 280 CE coupe with manual gearbox:

Taking the Alternate Route-tjuqu6g.jpg
Taking the Alternate Route-j8ydqmh.jpg
Taking the Alternate Route-rhdqurh.jpg

Old 11-17-2018, 10:43 PM
vetsvette
Received 450 Likes on 343 Posts
I like that green leather.

Old 11-18-2018, 10:16 AM
Oldboy Speedwell
6th Gear
Question:
the 06 R52 had the rear foglight option but I neglected to grab it...

...if I did get it, would it be plug and play or would my car (06 JCW) need retrofit wiring?

Old 11-18-2018, 12:25 PM
RB-MINI
6th Gear
Received 489 Likes on 408 Posts
Your ‘06 should be pre-wired, but you’ll need to activate the rear fog option using coding software.

Old 11-18-2018, 12:55 PM
Oldboy Speedwell
6th Gear

Cool, thanks for the info.

Old 01-18-2019, 03:58 PM
Oldboy Speedwell
6th Gear
Taking the Alternate Route-fvmfdnd.jpg
Taking the Alternate Route-abfz51d.jpg

Back home for the weekend after a 2 week gig in Mt. Airy NC. It was a nice drive there through mountainous regions, but I didn't stop to snap any photos.

On the way back today had a light dusting of snow at the starting point, but for the most part the roads were in good driving condition.

Almost any road with "squirrel" in its name is usually a good one!

Taking the Alternate Route-4yf8orb.jpg
Taking the Alternate Route-c21uvsm.jpg
Taking the Alternate Route-jwoclaa.jpg
Taking the Alternate Route-tfy7ehx.jpg
Taking the Alternate Route-6zbbfbk.jpg
Taking the Alternate Route-0dbt30i.jpg

The following users liked this post:
vetsvette (01-18-2019)
Old 01-18-2019, 05:25 PM
dmath
6th Gear
Received 546 Likes on 373 Posts
Impressive bugs in the first post in the thread. But if you want too see bug splat, drive through Florida in May. The love bugs are unreal. Sometimes the impacts are so frequent it sounds like rain. And if you don't clean them off quickly they etch the paint. I don't miss that.

Husky44 (05-25-2019)
Old 01-19-2019, 04:40 AM
Oldboy Speedwell
6th Gear
Originally Posted by dmath
Impressive bugs in the first post in the thread. But if you want too see bug splat, drive through Florida in May. The love bugs are unreal. Sometimes the impacts are so frequent it sounds like rain. And if you don't clean them off quickly they etch the paint. I don't miss that.

Yep, the love bugs are total swarming madness!

I hit them in south Georgia this past summer but failed to snap any pix.

I bought my MINI from a very nice gentleman in Clermont Fla. which is one of the more hilly areas in the state and drove it back home, but when we've got a job down there I usually carpool with the boss in his truck because most roads in Florida are flat, straight, and pretty boring - so I'm not inspired to add mileage plus fuel costs on my car...

...although if we ever get back down to the Tampa area I may hafta drive and check out the Tail of the Gecko!

http://www.2uptouring.com/Motorcycle...the-Gecko.aspx

Old 01-19-2019, 07:34 AM
vetsvette
When I was stationed at MacDill AFB in Tampa from 1966-68 there were quite a few country roads in that area that were fun to drive. When I could keep my old Alpha Spyder running I spent quite a bit of time exploring them. Most of them, and the orange groves have been paved over now. I went back to the area when I was in Orlando on vacation in 2014 because I had to make a quick stop at the VA Hospital. When I was leaving and heading back I realized the area we were in was within a stones throw of the house I lived in back then, or rather where it used to be. The South Florida campus and commercial buildings had taken over the entire area.

Last edited by vetsvette; 01-19-2019 at 07:49 PM.
Oldboy Speedwell (01-19-2019)
Old 01-19-2019, 09:36 AM
Oldboy Speedwell
6th Gear
Originally Posted by vetsvette
When I was stationed at MacDill AFB in Tampa from 1966-68 there were quite a few country roads in that area that were fun to drive. When I could keep my old Alpha Spyder running I spent quite a bit of time exploring them. Most of them, and the orange groves have been paved over now. I went back to the area when I was in Orlando on vacation in 2014 because I had to make a quick stop at the VA Hospital. When I was leaving and heading back I realized the area we were in was within a stones throw of the house I lived in back then, or rather where it used to be. The South Florida campus and commercial buildings had taken over the entire area.
Nice!
Sounds like great fun zooming around top-down back then in an Alfa spider --- was it a 1750? Carbs or Spica? I've read that the Spica could be problematic. My dream car is a 1969 GTV but alas they're fetching the big bucks nowadays:

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/19...-romeo-gtv-21/

Had my chance back in the late 80's and early 90's to buy one, but let them slip by, sadly.
They were much cheaper then, totally underappreciated.
One I passed up had the cool GTAM flares and everything, but it was a basketcase and would've required complete resto, same with a '69 which was also a basketcase, but I kick myself for letting a '74 GTV 2000 (the most common model found in USA) slip by because it was like $4500 and a bargain, and also kick myself for balking on a '65 GT Junior,
dammit.

Live and learn.

Anyway,
another great thing about Tampa is that's where my alltime favorite beer comes from!

Cigar City Maduro Brown Ale.
Taking the Alternate Route-hg2phex.jpg
Taking the Alternate Route-yx82prv.jpg

I'd love to visit the brewery itself and drink fresh from the tap.

Yet all the more reason to drive down to Tampa!

Last edited by vetsvette; 01-19-2019 at 07:49 PM.
Old 01-19-2019, 10:07 AM
vetsvette
IIRC it was a '57 with the 1.3 liter and had twin Solex side draft carbs. Blew the head gasket and had to trade it in because I couldn't find anyone to work on a DOHC engine. That I could afford anyway. Didn't make much money as a one striper back then. It looked like this, but in a little rougher condition.

Old 01-19-2019, 12:40 PM
Oldboy Speedwell
6th Gear
Originally Posted by vetsvette
IIRC it was a '57 with the 1.3 liter and had twin Solex side draft carbs. Blew the head gasket and had to trade it in because I couldn't find anyone to work on a DOHC engine. That I could afford anyway. Didn't make much money as a one striper back then. It looked like this, but in a little rougher condition.

MAMA MIA!!!!

Those things go for mad money these days!

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/19...meo-giulietta/

DOHC must've seemed super exotic back then, and the Alfa engine is one of the greats in that arena.

! ! !

Was recently browsing a neat website and looking at vintage 50's/60's SCCA pictures:

http://www.ferrariexperts.com/etcete...r%20photos.htm

Amazing to see the exotica being flung around!

Taking the Alternate Route-s4bsfex.jpg

Old 01-19-2019, 07:42 PM
dmath
6th Gear
Received 546 Likes on 373 Posts
vetsvette -- beautiful car. Too bad you had to sell yours. Probably worth a mint now.

We lived in the Tampa suburbs from June 2013 until May of last year. It's such a huge area now. We were on the edge of the metro area (Lithia) and even there the traffic and congestion are horrible.

Old 02-03-2019, 04:44 AM
Oldboy Speedwell
6th Gear
Taking the Alternate Route-gybyogb.jpg

Just back home from finishing the job in Mt. Airy. Drove on Squirrel Spur again and it was much more fun in dry snowless conditions.

Taking the Alternate Route-hn5a4ks.png

Found a few other fun roads too, but at certain elevations there was still icy patches on the pavement and snow on the ground.

Taking the Alternate Route-uuyaxcm.jpg
Taking the Alternate Route-qmjzuwi.jpg

And due to us renting a couple of airbnb houses for our stay, one on the Dan River in Ararat Va and the other on top of Groundhog Mountain, I had to drive on non-paved roads.
OldBoy got pretty dirty but it was sorta fun although I was slightly sketched at the same time, and taking it quite slow --- it was a strange sensation in such a low car and it felt a little skittish too. My old Saab did very well on loose surfaces and I always enjoyed driving on gravel, dirt, or old logging roads and play rally driver, but this MINI just ain't really set up for offroad excursions.

Taking the Alternate Route-udxfllm.jpg
Taking the Alternate Route-cxsz8bf.jpg
Taking the Alternate Route-bbxbbfs.jpg
Taking the Alternate Route-ndrtgoo.jpg
Taking the Alternate Route-oysvhfe.jpg

This time to get there I went on the bottom side so I could stop at a couple of junkyards. I'm hoping to get lucky one day and find an aero kit or other nice bits. You gotta be quick because the cars get pounced on pretty damn quick and picked clean. In many cases you witness scenes of barbaric savagery that leaves you scratching your head. There should be a certain etiquette for not ripping stuff all apart but it gets tore up all the time anyway.

Taking the Alternate Route-vsfrnch.jpg
Taking the Alternate Route-59buwp4.jpg
Taking the Alternate Route-v1gjubh.jpg
Taking the Alternate Route-wbxyepc.jpg

Old 02-03-2019, 06:00 PM
SandNsun
1st Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Mt. Airy. Isn’t that Mayberry?!?! We stopped in there when I took the stang down the Blue Ridge Parkway. Can’t wait to take the JCW over there when it finally gets to the states...

Old 02-03-2019, 07:25 PM
Oldboy Speedwell
6th Gear
Yep, it's Mayberry!

Neat little town, quite vibrant and alive.

I didn't take this pic, but here's the main drag downtown:

I had an excellent fried baloney sammich at the Snappy Lunch!

And of course, there are many fun roads around the area too, I had a wonderful time visiting the area.

Old 02-04-2019, 06:50 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,966 Likes on 1,766 Posts
Drive past that area going to FL all the time. Lots of twisty roads.

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 02-04-2019, 06:19 PM
SandNsun
1st Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
We walked the town and also drove out to the quarry. They were doin tours in the sheriff car...haven’t done that one yet but don’t put it past me!

Old 02-14-2019, 04:37 AM
Oldboy Speedwell
6th Gear
I'm guilty of deviating from the wigglies and taking the long straight boring freeway on my last job which was just a short small gig down south in Claxton Georgia,
just got back home.

Claxton is famous for their fruitcake but I didn't buy any.
Instead, after the job was finished I made the short hop over to Savannah for another junkyard visit.

Most roads down there are pretty much straightaways,
even the dirt roads!
Taking the Alternate Route-ic7wdkk.jpg
Taking the Alternate Route-t9pknmf.jpg

Something cool about the Savannah breaker was they actually had lot lizards!
Much more fun than hornets and spiders LOL
They'd scurry off as soon as they detected you too close.
Here's a little guy chillin' inna crashed Countryman:
Taking the Alternate Route-me0iyvu.jpg
Taking the Alternate Route-e0b9tja.jpg

It looks like someone took the time to pull this motor and then just left it sitting there:

Taking the Alternate Route-nws86sn.jpg

Saw an MR2 Spyder there.
I've always had a thing for those and almost bought one a few years back.
Adding a hardtop + supercharger would make it right up my alley.
Don't see many anymore but ironically on my way home I passed by a black one just like this on the freeway, we actually waved to each other too!

Taking the Alternate Route-hwj9u5r.jpg
Taking the Alternate Route-iygqxxu.jpg

Although I sorta wanted to check out the racetrack down there, I passed on it due to concerns about trouble from the fuzz and just didn't feel like bothering with it.
It's a public road but also a racetrack.
Quite odd.

A thread about it,
here:
https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/fo...h/53267/page1/

I read that the police have a heavy presence there to deter thrillseekers so no go for me, however I'm still curious and if I'm ever back down that way for any extended amount of time I'll deffo go scope it out.

It seems that residents, golfers, and hotel guests complain about it too much...

I can hear the engines through my closed windows, even with the air on. When I open my front door facing away from Hutchinson, the sound bounces back at me as if there are motorcycles racing up and down a nearby block.

And this is going on literally all weekend, even into Sunday.

I’m sure the folks participating in the event are enjoying themselves, and I hope there are enough of them that we’re at least getting a significant tourism boost.

But we really need to think about whether this sort of irritation and inconvenience is worth it.

http://www.billdawers.com/2012/10/27...for-its-charm/

Last edited by Oldboy Speedwell; 02-14-2019 at 04:44 AM.

Quick Reply: Taking the Alternate Route