Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

What Brakes???

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2006, 06:58 AM
S6boy
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What Brakes???

hello all! im looking for a Big Brake up grade for some track action (nothing majior like propa racing just a track day every now and then) but i dont know whats performes better either a big brakeup grade or uprated discs and pads! im thinking of 17" Team Dynamics Pro Race 1.2 so i need something to fit behind them

ive looked at AP and Brembo but was wondering if any one has these? and how do they perform? also any pics of any brake upgrade kits if ya got them post them plz!

thanks every one

Rob

Old 06-27-2006, 04:12 PM
AZMCS
6th Gear
I went Brembo. If you are on any kind of budget though, any BBK is overkill. Just do pads, fluid and rotors and you'll get 9/10ths of the performance. Just won't hold the fade issue as well as a BBK with repeated track use.

Here's mine:

Old 06-28-2006, 10:57 AM
minihune
OVERDRIVE - Racing Champion
Received 67 Likes on 65 Posts
Originally Posted by S6boy
hello all! im looking for a Big Brake up grade for some track action (nothing majior like propa racing just a track day every now and then) but i dont know whats performes better either a big brakeup grade or uprated discs and pads! im thinking of 17" Team Dynamics Pro Race 1.2 so i need something to fit behind them

ive looked at AP and Brembo but was wondering if any one has these? and how do they perform? also any pics of any brake upgrade kits if ya got them post them plz!
Many owners have big brake kits on their MINIs. Some are for show and some are for track use. When upgrading for track use don't forget to upgrade the rear brakes as well.

If you are going to do heavy track use then a big brake kit will make more sense but if you are only going to do a few days of track per year or season then another option is to do brake upgrades without a big brake kit.

The Brake forum has lots of threads about brake upgrades and Big brake kits that owners have installed. Todd at TCE brakes has been offering many options on brake upgrades. Helix13 and Webbmotorsports are also very good sources for options. You're in England so you'd have to look at shipping and other local sources as well.

http://helix13.com/html/products/pro...ew.php?p=9&h=m
http://store.webbmotorsports.com/ind...ex&cPath=16_13
http://www.tceperformanceproducts.co...s.pl?record=13

Old 06-28-2006, 11:38 AM
yumhaggis
4th Gear
I went with StopTech, I'm running the very wheels your talking about, & yes if your just going to do a day here & a day there, up- grade what you have & use your savings on go fast mods. You can see my set up by checking out my pics in my gallery (cause I'm not smart enough to do it any other way)

Old 06-28-2006, 12:53 PM
S6boy
2nd Gear
thanks for the replys guys! tbh im leaning more towards the AP brakes but want to up rate the rears more than just discs and pads is there any kind of kit out there ti do so or will pads and discs give enuff for the rears??

Old 06-28-2006, 05:42 PM
2perCooper
5th Gear
thanks for the replys guys! tbh im leaning more towards the AP brakes but want to up rate the rears more than just discs and pads is there any kind of kit out there ti do so or will pads and discs give enuff for the rears??
If you decide to go the brembo route, I have a brand new set for sale.

Check em out here: https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ad.php?t=68121

Old 06-28-2006, 07:13 PM
toddtce
Former Vendor
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Unlikely due to the loss of the parking brake, the need for a very small piston area caliper, the cost factor and the simple question of need. In short it would prove a very costly, low return investment.

Old 06-29-2006, 01:40 AM
S6boy
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by 2perCooper
If you decide to go the brembo route, I have a brand new set for sale.

Check em out here: https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/showthread.php?t=68121

i would love them 2 peice brembos but shipping to the UK will be a killer

Old 06-29-2006, 07:42 AM
2perCooper
5th Gear
i would love them 2 peice brembos but shipping to the UK will be a killer
Ahh! I didn't see your location...I'm sorry

Old 07-07-2006, 10:36 AM
chuckt
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Joel,

Did you need any spacers with your Superleggaras to clear those Brembos?

TIA

Originally Posted by jfunkmd
I went Brembo...

Here's mine:

Old 07-07-2006, 12:42 PM
SpiderX
6th Gear
I have AP

I have AP and like them very much... I disagree that other than the track there is little advantage.... when I do the twisties with other non BBK Minis their brakes give out very quick..... I went from stock to power slots/ferodo to AP front and Power slots and 2500s rear..... the brakes work very well..... also Detroit Tuned has a nice sytem that my friend just bought and has tracked the car with...the review is good...and it sells for reasonable money..... I do lust after Brembos...just because they are Brembos

Old 07-18-2006, 06:00 PM
OutMotoring
Vendor - 15 Years
Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts
The Pro Race 1.2 will NOT fit over the Stoptechs without spacers. The spokes on the 1.2 are deeper than the PR1's and therefore interfere with the stoptechs. The JCW BBK SHOULD fit....don't know about the others...

OutMotoring.com: Home of the finest MINI and Aston Martin Parts + Accessories.
Shop online at www.OutMotoring.com
Free Shipping on most orders over $195 Click HERE

Old 07-19-2006, 08:30 AM
yumhaggis
4th Gear
You say spacers like it was a bad thing thoughts........

Old 07-19-2006, 02:47 PM
OutMotoring
Vendor - 15 Years
Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts
They're not bad, but you have to go into it knowing what it will do to your setup....basically you are pushing your wheel out Xmm (5,10, etc.) and in some cases you may run the wheel into the wheel well and cause damage....also you would need to get longer lugs to compensate for the spacers.

OutMotoring.com: Home of the finest MINI and Aston Martin Parts + Accessories.
Shop online at www.OutMotoring.com
Free Shipping on most orders over $195 Click HERE

Old 07-19-2006, 04:16 PM
S6boy
2nd Gear
also i thought pushing the wheel out by a lot (ie 15-35mm spacers) put extra stress on the wheel hub causing it to fail a lot quicker

atm im deffo getting the AP kit but looking in to what wheel will look the best and weights the least

Old 07-19-2006, 04:50 PM
yumhaggis
4th Gear
Originally Posted by OutMotoring
They're not bad, but you have to go into it knowing what it will do to your setup....basically you are pushing your wheel out Xmm (5,10, etc.) and in some cases you may run the wheel into the wheel well and cause damage....also you would need to get longer lugs to compensate for the spacers.
O'tay Aaron, Yeah I knew all that go into it, but just thought some new info might be out there. Always want to learn all I can. I have more then a few mods that looked or sounded good on the web, but when in hand just make into the pile of things I won't use & wouldn't sell to anyone else without full disclosure. thanks

Old 07-19-2006, 05:18 PM
Ryephile
OVERDRIVE
Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
The stock brakes are flat out inadequate for track use, no matter what pads you have. All of the BBKs [Brembo, TCE, Wilwood, AP, StopTech, Detroit Tuned] are first rate in terms of performance on-track. The differences lie in the details; brand cache', cost, street durability/NVH, weight, brake torque, and pad availability. Which fits your goals is up to you.

Old 07-28-2006, 03:15 AM
Wrappa
1st Gear
omni competition

my new brakes

with 17mm front spacers callipers are VERY closer to wheel, i hope to change my rimms asap