Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

Quick BBK and wheel fitment question

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2006, 08:14 PM
AZMCS
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Quick BBK and wheel fitment question

I ran a search, but can't seem to find the pictures now.... I seem to remember someone running 17" OZ Superleggaras with the Brembo GT BBK kit around here. If memory serves this setup will work without spacers. Can anyone confirm this?

Realizing I just dropped the money on MSFIT's Brembo kit, I thought it pudent to see if they will actually fit under my wheels!

Old 05-09-2006, 08:54 PM
Mini Works
5th Gear
Supperleggeras will not fit over a Brembo Big brake kit without spacers.

victor

Old 05-23-2006, 10:31 PM
AZMCS
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Mini Works
Supperleggeras will not fit over a Brembo Big brake kit without spacers.

victor
Um.....NO. Fits perfectly. Hope you haven't been telling "customers" this line. Might want to know what your products are actually capable of prior to posting.

Proof is in the pudding:

Old 05-23-2006, 10:32 PM
Rally@StanceDesign
Former Vendor
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
hahahahahahah oops

Old 05-24-2006, 12:39 AM
JCW Driver
6th Gear
Sweet... now I have another option to fit!

Old 05-24-2006, 01:52 AM
jerjer
4th Gear
jcw driver, u selling ur rims? haha?

Old 05-24-2006, 06:02 PM
///ACS330Ci
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Old 05-24-2006, 06:27 PM
DrPhilGandini
My little dose of LITHIUM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
So, how much do these rims weigh? They look fantastic...
woohoo,

Old 05-24-2006, 06:37 PM
AZMCS
6th Gear
Originally Posted by gandini
So, how much do these rims weigh? They look fantastic...
woohoo,
The Superleggaras are way light. Like 17 pounds each. Tires are around 25 each so full setup is under 45 pounds. That translates to about 15 pounds less per corner than stock.

The Bembo BBK rotors are way lighter than stock too. Even though they are 2 inches bigger!!!!

Old 05-24-2006, 09:04 PM
DrPhilGandini
Mmm... wheels heavier than my Kosies, tires heavier than my Falkens and brakes heavier than my TCE/Wilwoods... I still think they look great, but I'll stick with my setup! Maybe that's why my car weighs in under 2500lbs. Mine may not look as cool, but they sure do work.

cheers,

Old 05-24-2006, 09:11 PM
Rally@StanceDesign
Former Vendor
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Mmm... wheels heavier than my Kosies, tires heavier than my Falkens and brakes heavier than my TCE/Wilwoods... I still think they look great, but I'll stick with my setup! Maybe that's why my car weighs in under 2500lbs. Mine may not look as cool, but they sure do work.

cheers,

hahah touche

Old 05-24-2006, 10:24 PM
AZMCS
6th Gear

cheers,
You sure they are heavier than the Wilwoods??

Old 05-25-2006, 11:05 AM
glnr13
6th Gear
BBK w/ web spokes?

Im interested in getting a brembo big brake kit...
wondering if anyone's had any experience w/ this kit and stock web spokes.

Old 05-25-2006, 11:53 AM
DrPhilGandini
Originally Posted by jfunkmd
You sure they are heavier than the Wilwoods??
There was as thread elsewhere on which Todd (TCE) chimed in and admitted the Brembo calipers had more material in them than the Wilwoods. This caused some clearance problems, being that the Brembos were "thicker" or wider so likely to interfere with more wheels. He added that the greater mass and design of the Brembos means they (at least theoretically) flex less than other designs. This could be, and if my Wilwood calipers flex more than another's Brembo calipers, so be it. I doubt it will make much difference on the street or at a track day, but...

So, in conclusion, while I have not seen actual weights for the Brembo calipers and the Wilwood FSL calipers, by implication the Brembos weigh more than the Wilwoods. It's not possible for the Wilwood rotors and hats to weigh more than the Brembos...

Of course, the Brembos "bling" weight is considerably higher than those of the Wilwoods...8-)
cheers,

Old 05-25-2006, 11:59 AM
DrPhilGandini
The Superleggaras are way light. Like 17 pounds each. Tires are around 25 each so full setup is under 45 pounds. That translates to about 15 pounds less per corner than stock.
Just a math note here: My '05 SLites and Dunlop runflats weighed 26 + 23 = 49lbs each (total weight of tire and rim weighed on digital scale at WMS)
My Kosei K1 and Falken RT615s weigh 16+21 = 37lbs each (weighed on same scale within 2 minutes)
So this was a savings of 12lbs per corner.
I don't see how those OZs and 25lb tires save 15lbs over stock, unless your stock wheels weighed a hellova lot more than mine?
Cheers

Old 05-25-2006, 03:09 PM
toddtce
Former Vendor
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
I'd suspect the Brembo caliper is a tad heavier by body design. But the Wilwood pads are heavier on the other side due to about 30% more pad material. Side by side I doubt you'd see a 1-2lb difference.

As for stiffness, sure the beefier body works more efficiently at 1500psi perhaps but the car alone doesn't require nearly that amount of brake torque to operate so some of the data is moot. I'm not clear on the rotor width of the Brembo. If it's 1.00 or 1.10 it's going to be heavier than the .81 rotor for sure. Even with holes. Plus side is wider air gap for improved air flow and more heat storage. Down side is loss of wheel clearance and a heavy rotor with more mass then the car can really require. This stuff all depends on which side of the fence you sit!

*here's a fun example; My front wheel and tire weigh 8lbs. I settled on this for the weight! Very cool. Now..when I smack a rock or birm as I did last weekend...it now costs me $200 for a f'n wheel! And that's IF we can save the tire! lol (click race car pic on my home page)

Last edited by toddtce; 05-25-2006 at 03:15 PM.
Old 05-25-2006, 05:55 PM
AZMCS
6th Gear
Originally Posted by glnr13
Im interested in getting a brembo big brake kit...
wondering if anyone's had any experience w/ this kit and stock web spokes.
I highly doubt they will fit stock wheels. My OZ's have some of the best clearance out there as they will run Stop-Techs without spacers. These are AFAIK, the largest calipers out for the MINI. Considering that I have about 3mm of clearance behind the spokes on my OZ's and the Brembo calipers. They are way big.

Todd has a nice calculator on his website how to figure this kind of stuff out.

Old 05-25-2006, 08:21 PM
glnr13
6th Gear
thanks for the info jfunk...

Old 05-25-2006, 09:24 PM
toddtce
Former Vendor

Todd has a nice calculator on his website how to figure this kind of stuff out.
Where you been poking around??!
Actually my data is the result of a program I plan to put on the web page! Pretty simple stuff really, but for threads like this they can be a very important tool. Got a couple more I'm working on too.

Old 05-26-2006, 12:30 AM
AZMCS
6th Gear
Todd-
Hehe. I actually didn't know you work working on software to do it automatically. I just was refering to the DIY measurement page. With a little know-how anyone should be able to figure out what will fit their wheels based on your instructions. That's how I did it.

And BTW, I personally have appreciated your continued input here at NAM. you are an asset to the forum and the MINI community. I was really torn between a TCE BBK and the Brembos. I would not have gone the Brembo route over TCE for anything other than "a deal I just couldn't pass up". Kinda a once-in-a-year deal if you know what I mean.

Anyway, thanks again.

Originally Posted by toddtce
Where you been poking around??!
Actually my data is the result of a program I plan to put on the web page! Pretty simple stuff really, but for threads like this they can be a very important tool. Got a couple more I'm working on too.

Old 05-26-2006, 04:52 AM
MiniMargie
4th Gear
we put a Brembo Gran Turismo kit on our Subaru. Wheel fitment is a problem, as the calipers are too large. A set of StopTechs are smaller, yet more ridgid (but 50% more $$$, at least for the Subaru application).

Any idea if you can fit the JCW calipers under a 16" V-spoke? We just ordered an '06.

Old 05-26-2006, 07:34 AM
toddtce
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by MiniMargie
we put a Brembo Gran Turismo kit on our Subaru. Wheel fitment is a problem, as the calipers are too large. A set of StopTechs are smaller, yet more ridgid (but 50% more $$$, at least for the Subaru application).

Any idea if you can fit the JCW calipers under a 16" V-spoke? We just ordered an '06.
This is where both the Wilwood DP caliper kits and the TCE/Wilwood kits shine. Both kits are available with narrower .81" rotors. This moves the outer body of the caliper inboard as the rotor centerline is inboard more. That allows for more spoke clearance. Both the ST and likely the Brembo kits come only with the wider 1.0 or 1.1 rotor. That compromises space and makes wheel choices much harder. (TCE also offers a 1.10 version for hard core track use) The reality is that this car does not need such massive rotors. Nothing wrong with having them but be realistic with your wheel fit requirements.

Old 05-26-2006, 08:49 AM
AZMCS
6th Gear
Originally Posted by toddtce
This is where both the Wilwood DP caliper kits and the TCE/Wilwood kits shine. Both kits are available with narrower .81" rotors. This moves the outer body of the caliper inboard as the rotor centerline is inboard more. That allows for more spoke clearance. Both the ST and likely the Brembo kits come only with the wider 1.0 or 1.1 rotor. That compromises space and makes wheel choices much harder. (TCE also offers a 1.10 version for hard core track use) The reality is that this car does not need such massive rotors. Nothing wrong with having them but be realistic with your wheel fit requirements.
Brembo is a 1.1 if I remember correctly.

Old 05-26-2006, 11:56 AM
JCW Driver
6th Gear
I beleive you do remember correctly.

Someone asked if the webspoke will fit over a Brembo. Highly unlikely.

Just for comparison kicks =

To fit an S-Lite rim over the Brembo, you need to run 20mm spacers! , and that gives you just 1 -1.5 mm of clearance. I imagine the webspoke isn't that much better. Certainly not 20mm better.

Had I not bought this car with Brembo's I'd likely be running Todd's setup for the car. . The Brembo looks rockin', but it's huge and $$$.

Rotor/hat/pad replacement set for Brembo service costs as much as the entire wilwood kit .

Old 05-26-2006, 01:12 PM
toddtce
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by JCW Driver

Rotor/hat/pad replacement set for Brembo service costs as much as the entire wilwood kit .
Actually...I do a vast number of those too. lol
Under "Hat and rotor kits", most are Mustang guys but of all things the latest is a 12.75 kit for a Mercury Mountaineer. Whoda thunk?

Quick Reply: Quick BBK and wheel fitment question