Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

Tire "Shelf Life" ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2006, 10:34 AM
CINIMIN
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tire "Shelf Life" ?

I am considering a set of summer performance tires and wheels and keeping the all season RF's for late fall thru early spring use. Neither set will get high mileage use and I will probably hit an age limit before the tires wear out. How long will tires last before age becomes an issue?

Also, what pressure should tires be inflated to when being stored ?

Standard RF's are Goodyear Eagle RSA
Potential Summer Tires are Yokahama AVS ES 100 or Goodrich g-Force Sport.

Thanks,

Old 03-02-2006, 11:41 AM
Mineon
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've used dedicated summer tires as long as three summers (Falken Azenis), and by the third year, performance was starting to fall off some. I've found that the stickier the tire, the more sensitive they are to heat cycling and cold weather storage. The two tires you mentioned aren't super sticky and should last longer than some of the ultra high performance summer-only tires. I usually store my summer tires indoors as well.

-Keith

Old 03-02-2006, 06:17 PM
Tarzan
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Check out the discussion on this thread:

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ad.php?t=57975

I'll repost the information below:
BMW actually has quite a bit to say about storing tires (tyres) in one of its service bulletins. For the benefit of others on the forum, I'll quote it:

"Storing Wheels and Tyres

The service of storing a customer's wheels is one which is now almost taken for granted. For this reason, we have published this BMW Technical Service Bulletin to provide a uniform storage concept, which will prevent damage caused due to incorrect storage.

The tyre's rubber will age under the influence of sunlight, heat, and humidity, movements in the air and ozone, and will thus lose some of its stability and elasticity. For this reason, tyres should never be stored in the open-air. If open-air storage cannot be avoided, the wheels / tyres must be stored in a clean and dry condition and covered with waterproof material. It is essential that wheels / tyres are protected against rain, snow and sunlight, but due to the risk of corrosion they must not be stored in tyre sacks. For more information on protective covers for wheels and tyres, see SI 36 01 88 (864).

Wheels / tyres with tyre pressure control (RDC) must not be cleaned with high-pressure cleaning equipment. For general information on RDC, see SI 36 02 98 (377).

Storage requirements

The following requirements apply in general to storage in enclosed rooms:

cool--15...25 'C / sources of heat screened, or 1m minimum distance from source of heat

dry--Prevent water and condensation. Avoid contact with mineral lubrication products

dark--Protect from direct sunlight and high-UV artificial light

moderate ventilation--Avoid a supply of oxygen and ozone

In short, the storage room should be cool and dry. It is not necessary to heat the room during the winter. In the summer, the doors and windows should be kept closed to ensure that no air can circulate. In addition, the windows can also be coated with sun protection paint.

The storage room should not contain any working electric machinery, welding equipment, distribution boxes, etc. as electrical sparks generate ozone which can have a serious impact on the surface of the tyre (ozone cracks).

Tyres should not be allowed to come into contact with oil, petrol, or other mineral lubricants as these dissolve rubber, making the tyre porous.

Preparing wheels / tyres

1. Before removing a wheel, mark its position on the vehicle.
2. Whenever possible, keep the tyre on its wheel (complete wheels).
3. Correct the inflation pressure and recheck every 2 months.
4. Ensure that tyres are stored at a sufficient distance above the ground.
Wheels / tyres should never be stored on the ground.
5. Complete the storage forms. These should contain the following data:
- Type and size of tyre
- Condition and tread depth
- Customer's address
- Date and signature of customer

Wheel / tyre storage requirements