Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

New car, new tires, new wheels?

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2005, 12:23 PM
Beemer Guy
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New car, new tires, new wheels?

Howdy folks... I've got my new MCS being built as I write this, expecting delivery in late November. I do not like run-flat tires, and I do not especially care for the wheels (the base stock MCS wheels) that come with the car. I didn't upgrade to the 17" wheels because I didn't want the trade-off of the lesser ride quality in a larger tire. And I'm cheap. :smile:

So, I'm looking at buying conventional tires for the car, and maybe new wheels as well. So here are my questions:

1) - is there anything special about the wheels for these run-flat tires that would prohibit me from putting conventional tires on them?

2) - if I buy a new set of wheels (and tires) for the car, I'd like to have them ready and waiting when the car arrives so that I can sell the OE wheels and tires either here or on eBay. How much can I reasonably expect to get for the set?

3) - The tire choices in 195/55-16 are limited. If I up-size to 205/50-16 will this cause any clearance problems or make the speedometer too inacurate? I want to stay with 16" to get the softest ride possible (and save money, of course).

Thanks all for your advice and comments. Naturally I'll be buying the wheels and tires from TireRack, they've always treated me well in the past.

Michael

Old 10-27-2005, 12:29 PM
chrisneal
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you go with 15" you'll get an even softer ride, it'll be cheaper, and you'll shave off a substantial amount of weight.

I just ordered my winter wheels and tires from Alex at Tire Rack this afternoon.

Old 10-27-2005, 12:36 PM
Beemer Guy
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by chrisnl
If you go with 15" you'll get an even softer ride, it'll be cheaper, and you'll shave off a substantial amount of weight.
Yeah, I thought about that too, but I prefer the looks of the 16". The 17" looks even better, but then we get into that ride trade-off, and I think 16 is a good compromise.

I want it all!

Thx,

Michael

Old 10-28-2005, 04:46 AM
mbcoops
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Beemer Guy
Howdy folks... I've got my new MCS being built as I write this, expecting delivery in late November. I do not like run-flat tires, and I do not especially care for the wheels (the base stock MCS wheels) that come with the car. I didn't upgrade to the 17" wheels because I didn't want the trade-off of the lesser ride quality in a larger tire. And I'm cheap. :smile:

So, I'm looking at buying conventional tires for the car, and maybe new wheels as well. So here are my questions:

1) - is there anything special about the wheels for these run-flat tires that would prohibit me from putting conventional tires on them?

2) - if I buy a new set of wheels (and tires) for the car, I'd like to have them ready and waiting when the car arrives so that I can sell the OE wheels and tires either here or on eBay. How much can I reasonably expect to get for the set?

3) - The tire choices in 195/55-16 are limited. If I up-size to 205/50-16 will this cause any clearance problems or make the speedometer too inacurate? I want to stay with 16" to get the softest ride possible (and save money, of course).

Thanks all for your advice and comments. Naturally I'll be buying the wheels and tires from TireRack, they've always treated me well in the past.

Michael
1. Nope.
2. I don't know.
3. Your speedometer will already be 3mph off from the factory - go to this website to determine if the 205/50 is ok for YOU. Alex from the tire rack recommends it, and many people here do as well. http://www.1010tires.com/TireSizeCal...?action=submit

Love that tire size calculator!

mb

Old 10-28-2005, 01:37 PM
Stevie B
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Beemer Guy
So, I'm looking at buying conventional tires for the car, and maybe new wheels as well.
Those 16" wheels are quite light and high quality. You'll have to spend big dollars to replace them with lighter wheels, even in 16x7, which uses the same tire size as stock. SSR Comps or BBS RG-F's will cost over $1000 and shave noticable weight, but something you may never feel. Get bigger is better (tire sizes or wheels) out of your head. Personally, I think the 16x7 is the way to go all things considered, but it's hard to justify the expense of aftermarket. I'd rather speed less money on Koni FSD shocks. Personnally I really like the R84 wheel (standard 16" wheel for the MCS). It fits the styling of the car very well. I was at my MINI dealer today (Kaiserslautern, Germany) and they have a set of 17" BBS RZs and RFs in the showroom for sale. Beautiful, but very expensive and heavier than most 16" wheels, including OEM.

Old 10-28-2005, 07:17 PM
morknmini
6th Gear
On eBay you should get at least $400 for your new wheels and tires--maybe more if you keep readvertising with a high reserve. You would have to pack and ship them yourself. Most NAMmers started with stock wheels so you might not get as much from them.

I preferred the R83s to the R84s but by the time I ordered my MCSa the formerly stock R83s became a $629 option. The R84s are light for MINI wheels but not retrostyle cool like the car itself. I looked at my R84s for a long time and understood the rationale for the design, but I could not warm up to them.

For best price I recommend getting tires and wheels in a combo via internet. You pay for freight but save on tax. And those big on line companies have excellent prices. I wanted to patronize a local speed shop so I ended up paying a lot more for the same thing. However it was an interesting experience and the shop balanced the wheels very carefully.

My tires are 215/50-16 (for comfort) Kumho Ecsta on 16x7 5Zigen cast wheels. The wheels fit the car without adaptors or spacers. The tires look baloonish but do not rub (even when I had 4 adults in the car). They make my speedo read slower than actual, but I drive slower than actual anyway.

Have fun.

Old 10-29-2005, 10:04 AM
OldRick
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Kosei K-1 from the Tire Rack = $109. 13.5 lbs in 15x7". With a 205x55 tire, this is around 8 lbs. lighter than any factory option - a huge improvement in handling and ride.

With my 205x55 Michelins on 15x7" SSR's at 36 lbs cold pressure, my speedo reads around 1% higher than exact, according to a 5-mile speedo calibration on the freeway here.

Old 10-29-2005, 10:40 AM
chows4us
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Stevie B
Get bigger is better (tire sizes or wheels) out of your head.
Bigger is Better ... that the AMERICAN way