Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

Quality of Kosei wheels...

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2005, 12:26 AM
markbradford
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Quality of Kosei wheels...

Alex (or others) -

How would you rate the quality of Kosei wheels?

I have lots of experience with OZ, SSR, BBS, etc. How does Kosei compare?

Also, how do you feel about the gramlights? I know they're made by Rays, so they should be well made, but there must be some difference from the Volks.

Thanks!

Old 06-22-2005, 06:41 AM
onasled
Banned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I have two sets of the K1s, 17x7.5.

In a set of four wheels figure you really lucky if you get two that are real good. They have this cast outer rim that is not consistent from one wheel to the other, so the wheels look like they are outa round and wobbling. They aren’t, but what this does is throw the balance off enough that you have to add a ton of weights to balance some of them.

Strong wheels and somewhat light, but that lightness can be taken away when balancing them.

If I had more money to spend on wheels, I'd go for something else, but these K1s do make a very good track wheel and they are also about perfect size for the Mini. You will see the K1s all over the track in the Spec Miata class and also on many BMWs.
I'd still buy the K1s for the track myself and am looking for a used set now. Anyone?

Old 06-22-2005, 07:38 AM
red rage
4th Gear
I have the Kosei K1 TS wheels and bent one on a HUGE pothole ... Both sides of the Lip -inner and outer. I have to send it to RIMPROS to have it fixed

Light wheels can be "soft"

SLED ...

What tires do you recommend for my next track set, I currently run Bridg PP S03 215-40-17... They are a bit firm. I run a seperate wheel, everyday drivers on my Centerline wheels, P Zero Nero 215-45-17, much smoother, less harsh ride

Old 06-22-2005, 07:52 AM
Monkey_Boy
5th Gear
Originally Posted by markbradford

I have lots of experience with OZ, SSR, BBS, etc. How does Kosei compare?
They don't. And for the price, why would anyone think otherwise?

I have K1s and have been perfectly happy with them. But they do not have the fit and finish of an OZ or BBS.

Old 06-22-2005, 08:41 AM
markbradford
5th Gear
Thanks for the honest replies, guys. Looks like I might be going with yet another set of OZ Superleggeras.

Old 06-22-2005, 08:45 AM
onasled
Banned
Originally Posted by red rage
I have the Kosei K1 TS wheels and bent one on a HUGE pothole ... Both sides of the Lip -inner and outer. I have to send it to RIMPROS to have it fixed

SLED ...

What tires do you recommend for my next track set, I currently run Bridg PP S03 215-40-17... They are a bit firm. I run a seperate wheel, everyday drivers on my Centerline wheels, P Zero Nero 215-45-17, much smoother, less harsh ride
Well, for track specific I recommend the Toyo RA1, 205-40-17. I got mine shaved, but I also see Porsches running them on the street unshaved. One of the best riding street tires I've personally felt, but that was shaved.

These are R compounds so they really stick when warm. Also one of the lightest tires out there of any size.

I love mine.

Old 06-22-2005, 09:23 AM
mattharris75
2nd Gear
Thanks for the honest replies, guys. Looks like I might be going with yet another set of OZ Superleggeras.
So why not the Gram Lights? Can't stand for your car to look like mine?

Old 06-22-2005, 09:50 AM
markbradford
5th Gear
If I go with any Gramlights they'd be the exact same ones, and yeah, I thought I'd give you the respect of not getting the exact same ones.

It's too bad, cause I wanted those even before I knew you'd ordered them, damnit!

Old 06-22-2005, 09:58 AM
goaljnky
Banned
So the consensus is that the Kosei would not be a good street wheel? I was going to get those in a few months, but I am starting to change my mind.

Old 06-22-2005, 10:05 AM
meanboy
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I ran the Kosei K1 TS on the street for six months and it seemed fine. I had Kumho MXs(loud tires) on them.

I sold them after I got a set of SSRs. And mounted the MXs(loud tires) on them.

Old 06-22-2005, 12:08 PM
mattharris75
2nd Gear
If I go with any Gramlights they'd be the exact same ones, and yeah, I thought I'd give you the respect of not getting the exact same ones.

It's too bad, cause I wanted those even before I knew you'd ordered them, damnit!
Then get them! You live in Chicago and I live in Auburn...I doubt our Mini's paths will ever cross, so don't worry about that faux pas.

Old 06-22-2005, 12:13 PM
JeffS
5th Gear
Originally Posted by red rage

Well, you DID buy prettymuch the lightest cast wheel on the market.

I'm not a fan of the Gram Lights either... they're overpriced for what they are. Almost all of them are cast, and the ones that aren't cost as much as the Volks.

Old 06-22-2005, 12:15 PM
Alex@tirerack
6th Gear
Originally Posted by goaljnky
So the consensus is that the Kosei would not be a good street wheel? I was going to get those in a few months, but I am starting to change my mind.
For a cost effective cast wheel product Kosei makes great wheels. Any wheel can bend, and casting is the least ridgid construction method. Therefore your left to find strenth in its mass, but they are race influenced and rather light.

OZ BBS SSR all make higher end wheels - and they are worth it.

You can pay for wheels the 1st time, or make up for intial savings in repeat replacment.

Alex

Old 06-22-2005, 12:22 PM
Alex@tirerack
6th Gear
Also, how do you feel about the gramlights?
I havent had enough in stock to sell - allowing an accurate judgment. They look good, and there is a new finnish in the works comming in the next year - it may be the best looking satin finish I've ever seen. Once we see production wheels with this paint, I'll post.

Alex

Last edited by Alex@tirerack; 06-22-2005 at 12:55 PM.
Old 06-22-2005, 12:58 PM
goaljnky
Banned
Originally Posted by Alex@tirerack
For a cost effective cast wheel product Kosei makes great wheels. Any wheel can bend, and casting is the least ridgid construction method. Therefore your left to find strenth in its mass, but they are race influenced and rather light.

OZ BBS SSR all make higher end wheels - and they are worth it.

You can pay for wheels the 1st time, or make up for intial savings in repeat replacment.

Alex
Hey Alex,

Is that your PC answer? If I am reading between the lines correctly, they are indeed not the best choice for everyday driving?

Old 06-22-2005, 01:05 PM
onasled
Banned
I think Kosies are fine for the street. I was just mentioning that they are what they are, inexpensive strong light wheels. Just thought all should know though that they should not be surprised when they see their wheels spinning on a dyno that they look wobbly. They are just not the best balanced wheel out there, but the price is right. My last set was worst then my first, but I would continue to get them for how I drive my car.

Old 06-22-2005, 01:09 PM
minihune
OVERDRIVE - Racing Champion
Received 67 Likes on 65 Posts
Hey Alex,

Is that your PC answer? If I am reading between the lines correctly, they are indeed not the best choice for everyday driving?
For everyday driving consider your driving style, the road conditions, your choice of tire size and requirements for comfort vs performance.

Many of us drive on the street like we do on the track but road conditions aren't always the best. Road hazards and potholes are hard to see and unforgiving.

For street use, a very light weight cast rim isn't going to be able to take a pounding as well as a forged light weight rim within certain limits. The faster you are going and the deeper the pothole the less chance you have for surviving unhurt.

I use Centerline RPM forged 17x7 rims (13.5 pounds each) with 215/45-17 tires and have never damaged a rim from hitting potholes (some were really bad but not hit too fast). Many owners in my area have damaged both S-lyte rims and runflat tires hitting potholes. You have to be careful if your roads are bad. Drive with caution.

Light rims like SSRs are great for performance but still can be damaged.If you have 40 series tires you are more likely to sustain damage than if you have 50 or 55 series tires. No rim is bullet proof.

I have Kosei K1 TS 15x7 rims for track and autocross. They work fine but the silver finish can get scratched easily. Very light and no problems. Reasonable cost.

Old 06-22-2005, 01:33 PM
goaljnky
Banned
Minihune, Alex,

Thanks for the info. I guess living in Los Angeles the roads are not too bad. In my 24 years of driving I am yet to damage a wheel outside a collision. I am thinking of getting the Kosei's in 17 inch with 205/50 on them. I like the look and even though I will not track the car, I do like the weight savings. Specially on the MC, every little bit counts. I am just trying to make a right decision since I would like my wheel budget to be a one time thing and not require a "maintenance expense." I'd rather spend the extra money to make the wheels spin faster, or make the tires stick better.

Old 06-22-2005, 03:09 PM
Absorbine_Sr
3rd Gear
I got my MCS on 4/29/2005 and a week later had the 17" Kosei K1-TS installed with Avon Tech m500 rubber, 215/45/17. The MINI is my daily driver and roads here in NW Indiana range from perfect to a simulation of Iraq. I've hit some decent potholes, not too fast, and so far the Kosei's have stood up very well. I keep a decent coat of wax on them and so far the finish has remained virtually like new. A lot of people commented on how nice they looked at the recent USGP Car Corral and the MINICCI GP Weekend BBQ. If I have one complaint with them, it's just that with the stock brake pads combined with the thin central opening in the spokes, they have a tendency to be a bugger to clean. New pads in the future shouls alleviate some of that.

A_Sr.

Old 06-22-2005, 03:43 PM
meanboy
6th Gear
I drove around potholed san francisco with my kosei k1 ts w/215/45/17 for six months without any issues. They looked fine and they never chipped and I never had any vibrations, etc. I didn't take it over 90 miles an hour so I can't say how they would be at any higher speeds. I ran over a few good sized potholes without issues. So I would say they are fine for everyday driving.

Old 06-22-2005, 04:11 PM
dpayne1
3rd Gear
I have had 3 sets of these and currently still have 2 sets. As onasled said they are a reasonably priced, mostly lightweight wheel. I have 4 sets of wheels and tires and the K1's are my street tires (white 16x7.5) and my autox tires (Silver 15x7) -- my SSR comps (16x7) are waiting on a backordered set of Kumho V710's .

David

Old 06-22-2005, 05:40 PM
kapps
6th Gear
I too have been looking into Kosei K-1's but am now a litle weary. I'd be alright if it was a little out of true and it could be balanced out but from what some are saying, it sounds pretty bad. For $180 a piece, I'd expect some decent quality control. How does something like the Team Dynamics Pro Race 1 compare?

Old 06-22-2005, 09:37 PM
kurvhugr
6th Gear
I bought Kosei K1 TSs to replace my SSRs. I loved the Comps but bent and broke the rims on 3 of 4 before I decided to give up and move on. I picked the Koseis because they're very light for the price and I figured I'd cringe much less if I ever had to pay to replace one. They looked perfectly true when spinning on the balancing machine and took very few wheel weights. I'm driving the same roads as before (and even more aggressively these days) and haven't had a single problem with the Koseis.

Old 06-23-2005, 03:45 AM
onasled
Banned
... the K1-TS are very different from the K1, and a better wheel. I'd take them over my K1s, but they only come 7" wide.

Old 06-23-2005, 05:39 AM
kurvhugr
6th Gear
Originally Posted by onasled
... the K1-TS are very different from the K1, and a better wheel. I'd take them over my K1s, but they only come 7" wide.
Right, that's one of the reasons why I answered. The poster asked about the quality of Kosei wheels in general - not a particular model of Kosei - vs high-end brands like BBS, SSR, etc. So there's my example to show....
1 - SSRs are "quality" wheels, but that doesn't mean they'll hold up better under all conditions, etc, than all Kosei wheels. (same probably holds true for other high priced brands)

2 - Sounds like there's about as much variability of "quality" between the different Kosei models as there is between different brands. In other words, the K1s may be hit-and-miss quality-wise while the K1-TSs may be "a better wheel" (as you wrote) and therefore a better bet (or at least more consistent).

Quick Reply: Quality of Kosei wheels...