Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

TPMS won't register

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2018, 10:17 AM
cmdycrzr
2nd Gear
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts
TPMS won't register

Bought new wheels and Oro-Tech TPMS sensors. MINI dealer couldn't get the TPMS to reset. Talked with CarID where I bought them from and they said most dealers don't have a "universal" reader to do the reset so I took the car to a local tire store who was able to detect the Oro-Tech sensors.

However, in the rest process, it said to check the pressure and drive the car a few miles for the sensors to "reset" themselves. I have driven close to 10-15 miles but I keep getting a warning message stating that the TPMS cannot be detected.

I refuse to pay for another set of sensors because these are brand new. Anyone have any thoughts because I am totally frustrated at this point. I hate this nanny device but in NYS we have to have it to pass inspection. Freaking gov't!

Old 04-07-2018, 10:56 AM
Minnie.the.Moocher
OVERDRIVE
Received 570 Likes on 486 Posts
What car do you have? I've some after market TPMS in two of three MINIs. Never had to do anything special to get them to read.

Old 04-07-2018, 11:11 AM
vetsvette
Received 450 Likes on 343 Posts
2nd and 3rd Gen cars use different frequencies. You might have the wrong sensors. What car do you have?

Old 04-07-2018, 01:44 PM
cmdycrzr
2nd Gear
2014 F56 S - Sensors are 433mhz which the dealer confirmed. Not sure why system won't pick these up.

Old 04-07-2018, 03:12 PM
Minnie.the.Moocher
OVERDRIVE
Received 570 Likes on 486 Posts
Check out some of the reviews for this brand on Amazon. Sound familiar?

"I selected these sensors because CDOT sprays the roads with Magnesium Chloride and I was concerned with corrosion on metal PMS sensors.Highly recommend to have RELEARN process procedure prior to purchasing aftermarket valve stems.

I had these sensors installed with my new Nokian Hakkapeliitta 8 Studded 195/65R15 tires on Jan 6th, at a Greeley Subaru dealership they could not get these sensors to work. Subaru recommended that I take my vehicle to a Toyota dealership.

On Jan 13th, I had the sensors tested at Boulder Toyota and they could not get the TPMS sensors to respond with their TPMS computer. Also, the technician followed Toyota's procedures to relearn OEM valve stems and still no response. On Jan 25th, I looked at Orotekusa.com website for troubleshooting and sensor relearn process and website stated that I needed a business account and to select a business to contact me with a password. HUH?!?! All I want is the relearn process Pdf. readily available and not have to jump through the hoops with providing my contact information, company name and number of employees. Currently these Oro-Tek TPMS sensors are overpriced rubber valve stems."

Old 04-07-2018, 07:03 PM
cmdycrzr
2nd Gear
So, what are you saying, they don't work at all? What solution do you suggest then?

Originally Posted by Minnie.the.Moocher
Check out some of the reviews for this brand on Amazon. Sound familiar?

"I selected these sensors because CDOT sprays the roads with Magnesium Chloride and I was concerned with corrosion on metal PMS sensors.Highly recommend to have RELEARN process procedure prior to purchasing aftermarket valve stems.

I had these sensors installed with my new Nokian Hakkapeliitta 8 Studded 195/65R15 tires on Jan 6th, at a Greeley Subaru dealership they could not get these sensors to work. Subaru recommended that I take my vehicle to a Toyota dealership.

On Jan 13th, I had the sensors tested at Boulder Toyota and they could not get the TPMS sensors to respond with their TPMS computer. Also, the technician followed Toyota's procedures to relearn OEM valve stems and still no response. On Jan 25th, I looked at Orotekusa.com website for troubleshooting and sensor relearn process and website stated that I needed a business account and to select a business to contact me with a password. HUH?!?! All I want is the relearn process Pdf. readily available and not have to jump through the hoops with providing my contact information, company name and number of employees. Currently these Oro-Tek TPMS sensors are overpriced rubber valve stems."

Old 04-08-2018, 08:20 AM
Capt_bj
OVERDRIVE
Received 281 Likes on 237 Posts
Old 04-08-2018, 09:43 AM
cmdycrzr
2nd Gear
Not going to pay for another set of TPMS monitors...there has to be a reason why these are not being detected.

Old 04-08-2018, 12:59 PM
Capt_bj
OVERDRIVE
Received 281 Likes on 237 Posts
return the ones that don't work

if they won't take 'em back - spread the word right here!

hindsite - buy from a supplier familiar with MINI