Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

MCS R56 - Best Pads for HPDE

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2017, 05:44 PM
NJ Mini
6th Gear
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
MCS R56 - Best Pads for HPDE

Hi everyone. I haven't seen any threads lately on HPDE pads that work with the stock calipers. I wanted the consensus of the community on what I should look at for NJ Motorsports Park and Limerock.

As for my brake mods, I haven't done a lot; rotors changed to EBC's high carbon blanks, ECS stainless steel lines and ATE fluid. My pads aren't bad but won't hold up at the track. I was going to go EBC yellow stuff, but wanted to see how everyone liked those compared to Hawk or other suggestions.

Thanks!

Last edited by NJ Mini; 08-02-2017 at 09:01 PM.
Old 08-02-2017, 08:54 PM
squawSkiBum
Received 302 Likes on 223 Posts
I used EBC yellow for my first few track days and they did well. Last time out I cooked a set. Next time out will be on Carbotech XP10.

Old 08-04-2017, 01:35 PM
NJ Mini
6th Gear
Originally Posted by squawSkiBum
I used EBC yellow for my first few track days and they did well. Last time out I cooked a set. Next time out will be on Carbotech XP10.
Can you share which tracks your ran that cooked the yellow stuff? That was my pad of choice given past experience and ability to just arrive and drive with them vs swapping.

Old 08-04-2017, 05:23 PM
NC TRACKRAT
6th Gear
Received 201 Likes on 148 Posts
I'm a fan of Hawk DTC60 but Carbotech XP10 will serve you just as well. Regardless, you will first need to scrub your rotors with emery paper to remove the existing compound.

Old 08-05-2017, 10:37 PM
squawSkiBum
I cooked the EBC yellows at Laguna Seca. To be fair, I was running in B group and my 17 yr old was running in A group so there was about 20 minutes between sessions. Still, I had expected better. Could be that since it was my son's first time at the track he was pretty hard on the brakes. The drive home was a bit nervous, I had to make sure to leave plenty of room in front of me and brake early.

Previous outings on EBC yellows I had been very happy with them.

Old 08-07-2017, 04:55 AM
MrBlah
6th Gear - AX Champion
Received 264 Likes on 210 Posts
ebc yellow work well till 50 % pad then they go downhill VERY fast in a scary way

I run dtc 60 but the dust rusts and it's really dusty also not a lot of torque when cold, trying gloc 12's next

Old 08-07-2017, 08:21 AM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Received 757 Likes on 618 Posts
We've never had good luck with Hawk so we don't use or recommend them.

The EBC yellows are not bad as they are easy on the rotors. But for serious track people they are a little soft of a compound. Great for beginner track people or novice as they will last the weekend, and be affordable. Then as skill improves you can move up to other harder pads.
https://www.waymotorworks.com/ebc-ye...rake-pads.html

But for real track pads go with the G-Loc pads. We offer all the compounds as you can suit them to your feel.
https://www.waymotorworks.com/g-loc-...-cooper-s.html

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | IE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more
Old 08-09-2017, 05:36 PM
NJ Mini
6th Gear
Thank you all for the input.

Given my lack of track experience (have only run a handful of HPDE's in the past and none with the MINI) I really wanted to be sure that the car has brakes in decent order. I'm figuring I'll probably harder on the brakes not knowing this car's limits.

I'll also have to look at the torque arm insert Way has on his site from power flex. Seems like a no-brainer mod to help with getting power down coming out of the corners.

The following users liked this post:
WayMotorWorks (08-09-2017)
Old 08-09-2017, 05:59 PM
squawSkiBum
I think for a first outing you should be fine with EBC yellows. You already have the SS brake lines, check the temp rating on the ATE fluid you used and flush if necessary for higher temp rating or because it's old.

Also I highly recommend the Powerflex Yellow torque arm insert.

Enjoy and let us know how it goes.