Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

Tire suggestions for R59 Roadster?

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2016, 11:46 PM
bgreywolf
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tire suggestions for R59 Roadster?

Hello everyone!
I've decided to ditch my run-flats on my 2013 Roadster (base, manual transmission). I'm looking for all-season replacement suggestions on the stock, 16" R119 rims. I'd rather not get separate snow tires for this car.

Long part:
I tend to be a spirited driver, and I seldom drive the Mini in inclement weather; I had a daily driver Mustang for that. If that car can be repaired, I will return to using it daily and saving the Mini for the original purpose: fun dates with the top down. However, I will need to drive the Mini around plowed roads a few times before that (I have an F150 for unplowed roads).

I'm used to RWD without ABS or traction assist. The Mini, on stock Continental tires with DSC on tends to react to my inputs by forcing the throttle shut and making me shed 20mph before letting me do things like merge onto the highway or switch lanes in light snow. For the last 3 years, I dealt with this by not driving the car if it wasn't sunny out.

In the R59 section of the forum, ECS Tuning suggested ditching the run-flats and turning off DSC before leaving the driveway. So now I'd like to know what people with similar driving habits to me prefer for tires, I'm looking forward to some suggestions. Also, looking at opinions for spare tire versus mobility kit.

Thank you!
Ben

Old 11-30-2016, 02:15 AM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
Received 120 Likes on 105 Posts
I've had a good experience with Kumho Ecsta 4X II.

For your 16" wheels, you should consider tires in 205/50-16 or 205/55-16 size. The diameter is close to the OEM 195/55-16, but there is a larger selection of tires in those sizes.

TireRack is a good resource for comparing tires. They compile customer surveys of different models and do comparative performance testing.
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/survey...earDiameter=17
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/...y.jsp?ttid=200
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/...y.jsp?ttid=204

I saw in your other thread that you're in Maine. I think you should really reconsider snow tires. All-seasons are a big compromise for winters in Maine. Snow tires along with summer tires for warmer weather would give you the best performance.

Old 11-30-2016, 03:27 AM
bgreywolf
1st Gear
rkw: I'll have a look at the Kumhos; I've enjoyed them on other cars.

While I generally agree with you about separate snow tires/wheels, I don't think I'll drive 1000 miles before I have the Mustang back on the road. The Mini needs tires regardless, and unless I feel really comfortable with the changed handling, I'll be going back to driving the Mustang (on Blizzaks) when the weather is really bad.

To be clear, I'm not saying "I think the Mini is bad in snow" (although with the run-flats and DSC it WAS abysmal); I'm saying "I had a car whose bad-weather handling works well for me and if I can put it back on the road it will return to being my daily driver so I can keep the Mini shiny and nice." If that's not the case, either the Mini will get snow tires or the F150 will drink a lot of gas...I'll have to crunch those numbers.

Old 11-30-2016, 11:50 AM
hsautocrosser
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
DTC is made for snow conditions. If you don't have that option DSC OFF is necessary for best performance at the limit of traction

all season performance tires:
Continental ExtremeContact DWS06 (best snow)
Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ (best dry/wet)
BF Goodrich Comp2 A/S (best bargain and would be my choice)

My roadster stopped understeering when I replaced the Continental ProContact runflats with the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3: https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...hing-well.html

Old 11-30-2016, 04:20 PM
bgreywolf
1st Gear
I only have the DSC and it seems to _only_ operate when I need to turn it off, lol.

Old 12-02-2016, 07:48 PM
bgreywolf
1st Gear
I went ahead and ordered the Continental ExtremeContact DWS06 in 205/55-16.
I also ordered a >new< spare tire and a mounting kit so I can keep it outside the car.

I'm looking forward to seeing how the car handles with tires that are designed for driving while actually inflated.

Old 01-21-2017, 06:25 PM
bgreywolf
1st Gear
Long-overdue update!
The car handles much, much better with the ExtremeContact DWS06. Whatever exec decided to put the original RFT tires on this car should be fired. I didn't have a complaint with the dry handling of the car before; this is better. I *DID* have serious problems with the handling in any sort of wet/sandy/snowy conditions to the point of being nervous to drive the car in anything but clear, sunny weather (and this from someone who drives a Mustang GT with Blizzaks as a winter beater).

The car turns in more smoothly, responds to steering and throttle better, and the DSC doesn't engage every time I look at a puddle or blip the throttle while steering (for example, merging onto the highway through the sand that is scattered on most Maine on-ramps in early spring). Seat-of-the-pants feels like better braking as well but I've got no empirical evidence.

While I'm back to the Mustang (with real snow tires) as my daily winter driver, I had to drive the Mini through a couple storms and it handled as I would have expected it to in the first place. Anyone who is thinking of ditching the run-flats: do it.

Old 01-23-2017, 01:35 PM
hsautocrosser
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
35 cold is the spec for the Cooper. Cooper S is 38(16") and 41(17") so I doubt if 40 warm is too high for the DWS06.

It is US marketing that dictated no 15" wheels and only runflats for your model. They have also eliminated limited slip differentials and factory-installed sport suspensions. If you were an obedient American you would admit your short comings as a driver and yearn for the coming soon day of a car that drives itself while you play with your infotainment toys.

If you don't already know, Mike Maier is a great source for Mustang mods.

Old 01-23-2017, 05:09 PM
bgreywolf
1st Gear
Off topic! :D
I've never looked at Mike Maier's stuff, I have mostly worked with Maximum Motorsports and Slot Car Mustangs (now long gone!); I had an '82 Mercury Capri that I did some track days in, back in the 90s.
Back then I was mostly racing imports (1969 Triumph Spitfire, 1977 FIAT X1/9, 1986 Toyota MR2) with a race team consisting of 2 elderly gentlemen who were VERY fast drivers. They did SCCA, club, and vintage racing and I bumped into them when I was restoring old British cars. They had a 1953 Jaguar torpedo-body "The Beast" that always needed more work than a couple guys in their 60s could do and they were always trying out other cars as well (all my racecars were their hand-me-downs) and so spent track time with 260Z, 280Z and ZX, RX7, got a 300ZX 2+2 Turbo that I didn't race but owned for almost a decade (very rare, wish I had kept it). With the exception of rallying a 1980 Saab 99GLi in the early 90s, I've always had RWD cars.

Sorry for the ramble.