Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

Autocross tire pressure, Hankook R-S3?

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2015, 04:05 PM
conesmasher
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Autocross tire pressure, Hankook R-S3?

Going to run Hankook Ventus R-S3 this season. stock springs, rear sway bar, -2 degrees camber as starting point. Forgot or can't find what Alex suggested as starting point for tire pressures, front, rear. Suggestions from someone autocrossing these tires? Thanks!

Old 04-02-2015, 04:44 PM
afadeev
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by conesmasher
Going to run Hankook Ventus R-S3 this season. stock springs, rear sway bar, -2 degrees camber as starting point. Forgot or can't find what Alex suggested as starting point for tire pressures, front, rear. Suggestions from someone autocrossing these tires? Thanks!
I ran 38 psi all around last year with 225/50-R16's.
KWv3's all around, -2.5 degrees negative camber up front (didn't touch the rears). Nearly perfectly even wear across the surface of all tires (rotated as necessary) after ~12 events (~10 runs/per) and 15K miles over 2 years. Tires wear down to the wear bars for the last event, but which point the grip was gone.

HTH,
a

a

Old 04-02-2015, 06:57 PM
conesmasher
1st Gear
Thanks very much. Much appreciated! Stock springs or what spring and camber plate setup to get 2.5? I can get almost 2.5 with stock springs. Had coilovers on but ride too stiff for me and decided to go back to stock springs with camber plates up front and adjustable links in rear.

Old 04-02-2015, 07:25 PM
afadeev
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Thanks very much. Much appreciated! Stock springs or what spring and camber plate setup to get 2.5? I can get almost 2.5 with stock springs.
You need camber plates to go above -1.5 degrees camber, or thereabouts.
For me, it was a toss-up between Vorshlag and TC Kline's. The latter provide more caster, so I went with TC Kline's:
http://www.tcklineracing.com/index.c...y&Category=380

Had coilovers on but ride too stiff for me and decided to go back to stock springs with camber plates up front and adjustable links in rear.
Ha - I thought stock front KW springs were too soft (progressive) up front, so I ordered a stiffer set for this year. We'll see how that works out (arriving tomorrow).

a

Old 04-03-2015, 04:22 PM
Alex@tirerack
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
what Alex suggested as starting point for tire pressures, front, rear.
Middle to upper 30's cold.

Old 04-03-2015, 05:00 PM
conesmasher
1st Gear
Thanks, Alex. Wrote it down! so won't forget again. Thanks, afadeev. I do have the Vorshlag up front, adjustable links in the rear. Looks like I can get about 2.5 in front with them. We'll see how that works when first test and tune shows up end of the month.

Old 04-14-2015, 04:38 PM
Adrien Hupin
1st Gear
Can these tires be used as a daily driver?

I'm looking for a good pair of summer tires for my r56, but am having trouble finding the right one. Won't be doing any track/autocross, just want some fun tires for when the weather is warm.

Old 04-14-2015, 04:47 PM
hsautocrosser
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Yes, they can, but their grip level is not exploitable on the street. Michelin Pilot Super Sports or Continental Extreme Contact DW make better summer daily drivers.

I use the R-S3 Version 2 for autocross and Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 for daily driving. They're both fun in their own environments.

Old 04-14-2015, 04:51 PM
Adrien Hupin
1st Gear
Originally Posted by hsautocrosser
Yes, they can, but their grip level is not exploitable on the street. Michelin Pilot Super Sports or Continental Extreme Contact DW make better summer daily drivers.

I use the R-S3 Version 2 for autocross and Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 for daily driving. They're both fun in their own environments.
Thanks for the speedy response. Any experience with the Michelin Pilot Exalto PE2?

My options are the Pilot Exalto PE2's, Hankook Ventus R-S3, Bridgestone Potenzo RE-11A, or BFGoodrich g-Force Sport COMP-2.

No idea how I'll decide. If you have any info about any of these tires, please let me know!

Old 04-14-2015, 05:35 PM
hsautocrosser
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
I'd choose the RE-11a from that bunch. YMMV. See the tests and surveys at tirerack.com.

Old 04-15-2015, 08:08 AM
Chili_head
2nd Gear
I run the g-force comp 2 daily and they are pretty good at the price point they are. I did a few autocrosses on them last year and ate them pretty fast, but they are a good street tire.

This year for autocross I am running the RS3 V2 in a 205/55 16. I am still playing with pressure but 38 in the front seems about right and the rears seem to like 37. Anything lower than that and I get some pretty bad deflection of the tire. I may go up in the rear for the next event.

They are great for that but they are overkill on the street. You never generate enough g force on the street to make them worthwhile.

Old 04-15-2015, 06:17 PM
Adrien Hupin
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Chili_head
I run the g-force comp 2 daily and they are pretty good at the price point they are. I did a few autocrosses on them last year and ate them pretty fast, but they are a good street tire.

This year for autocross I am running the RS3 V2 in a 205/55 16. I am still playing with pressure but 38 in the front seems about right and the rears seem to like 37. Anything lower than that and I get some pretty bad deflection of the tire. I may go up in the rear for the next event.

They are great for that but they are overkill on the street. You never generate enough g force on the street to make them worthwhile.
Thanks a bunch for the response. I really appreciate it! Becoming rapidly more impressed by the helpfulness of NAM users.