Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

TPMS and 3rd Party Tire Shop

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2011, 12:21 AM
rcade
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TPMS and 3rd Party Tire Shop

Hey guys,

Trying to resolve this issue without causing a ruckus at a local tireshop (Firestone Complete Auto Care).

I took my '09 mini in three weeks ago to a local tire shop to fix a back right flat tire. Since the flat was too close to a previously patched spot, I had to replace the tire. I figured I'd just swap out the flat tire with a regular one and let the next owner change out whatever tires they'd like instead of dealing with lame run flats.

After a couple days, my TPMS indicator notifies me that it's going on and off until it eventually crapped out and the "TPMS Inactive" light went on constantly. Took the car into BMW and they told me that the tire shop didn't install the TPMS properly and there was actually a crack in the TPMS. So now I'm out $320 for the total repair and I only have the local tire shop to blame.

My question to you guys is... it's obvious that the local tire shop broke the TPMS, but I don't know what to expect when I go complain to them? Is what I told you guys enough to get them to reimburse me back for the crap job that they did?

Old 12-27-2011, 02:44 AM
chaswyck
5th Gear
All you can do is ask, but I'd like to hear their explanation as to how the TPMS got cracked if they didn't do it. It's not like you would be able to remove the tire and mess with it.

Old 12-27-2011, 06:21 AM
Locust
3rd Gear
IMO, I would have returned the vehicle to Firestone and/or discussed the TPMS failure with them since they were the ones who you went to in the first place to have the TMPS put in. They have a warranty usually for 30 to 90 days that would have covered this problem for no additional out of pocket expense. Yeah, their tire tech screwed up, but I am sure that manager would have gone out of his way to resolve your problem.

Old 12-27-2011, 10:22 AM
rcade
Neutral
I actually did take it to them last week and their mechanic (young guy) said he wasn't able to find any issues with it and suggested I take it back to BMW. Going to take the vehicle in with broken TPMS in hand and see what they say today. Fingers crossed.

Old 12-27-2011, 10:51 AM
phoxx47
2nd Gear
There's no TPMS sensor 'install' required for a straight tire swap. If the tire shop tech cracked it - must have been a careless install and the monitor just got whacked.

These TPMS sensors are generally available often for as little as ~$200 for a set of 4. They are made by a company called Beru.

A corollary question for others that may read this:

How does one diagnose a failed TPMS such as the occurrence rcade had?

The only time I remember seeing the TPM system speak to me it simply indicated a low tire but did not indicate which wheel position. Was up to me to find the low tire [and the nail.] Perhaps the TPMS receiver in the car is not 'smart' enough to tell which wheel...

Would be useful to know if the dealer has some method to diagnose and differentiate which wheel. Does it throw a CEL code that tells which wheel?

Also, seems I read somewhere that TPMS sensors have a limited lifetime and sometimes die of old age?

Old 12-27-2011, 10:55 AM
rcade
Neutral
Yeah, the TPM indicated it was inactive with the flickering TPM light on my dash. For the first week, it would periodically turn on and off and then turn on the entire time, but as you said, there is no indicator as to which specific tire it is. BMW diagnosed it as the TPM in the back right tire where the tire shop replace my tire so I think it's more than coincidence.

Old 12-27-2011, 06:37 PM
rcade
Neutral
Good news. They owned up to their fault and gave me a refund for the overpriced BMW repair. Other than this issue, they seem to be a good company.

Old 12-27-2011, 06:50 PM
MisterClean
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by rcade
Good news. They owned up to their fault and gave me a refund for the overpriced BMW repair. Other than this issue, they seem to be a good company.
Firestone is pretty good...probably got a bum guy when you returned to have them checkout the problem. Sounds like the guy was being lazy and not thoroughly checking out the issue...good time to push back a little instead of going through the trouble of involving the dealer.

When I went to Discount Tire...which is a good place as well. They replaced all four tires and I specifically made sure I ordered the TPMS rebuild kit. Well the next day when I was about to go to work the sensor goes off...LONG story short whoever installed one of the sensors put an extra washer on the valve and it was leaking air.

It happens.

Old 12-28-2011, 01:21 PM
drsimmons
6th Gear
I just had a Yokohoma tire patched and the guy was very careful with the tpms. He said they are kinda fragile.
Since I have an MCS and no spare I decided to buy another tire and wheel from TireRack and stick it in the back seat as my spare.
TPMS light came on as soon as the tire started losing air but after the fix the light went out and hasn't come back on so I guess I'm ok.

Old 12-30-2011, 05:47 AM
mikekim
Neutral
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
in regards to tpms indicating which tire is low, i picked up a nail in a tire which overnight caused an almost complete flat. after starting car tpms warning chime came on and a little symbol of a mini appeared on tach gage with an arrow pointing to the low tire. my auto is a 2009 r55s.

Old 12-30-2011, 08:11 AM
drsimmons
6th Gear
Pretty cool it lets you know exactly what tire is low.
I think prior to 07 (but not positive on years), the sensors work off rotation and the indicator doesn't tell you exactly what tire is low.
Not a biggy, easy enough to figure out.
Have read some people have to reset the TPMS when tire is changed out but that wasn't in my case, car figured it out apparently.