Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

Tire help, got it narrowed down but need help

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2010, 10:17 AM
dwebber18
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tire help, got it narrowed down but need help

I really hate to start one of these threads, but I have some specific questions and am looking for some assistance. I've already done some extensive searches, read tons of posts, and emailed Alex but I wanted to hear from the community. I've got a 07 MCS 16" wheels and I'm currently running 205/50/16 Firestone Firehawk Wide Ovals(Ultra High Performance Summer). I live in Knoxville, TN where we get 12" of winter type weather a year most of which being sleet and freezing rain and about 4" of snow. My current tires were usable last winter and I didn't get stuck anywhere(but I was less than confident in them), but they are starting to get low and I'll need to replace them probably late November. Should I go with a better summer tire since its warm here 9 months out of the year, or should I move to an A/S tire that performs well in the summer. I'm close to the Dragon so I drive it a few times a year, and I like to have good road feel and quick response and am satisfied with my current tires. Here's what I'm looking at, but any other ideas are appreciated. I'm hoping to get around 25,000 miles like I did with these without loosing those MINI characteristics and quick response.
Bridgestone RE760
Continental ExCon DWS
Continental ExCon DW
Mich Pilot A/S+
Bridgestone RE960 Pole Position
Thanks in advance everyone!

Old 09-10-2010, 10:42 AM
Eric_Rowland
OVERDRIVE
Received 43 Likes on 38 Posts
Ah, tradeoffs!
My solution - get a set of OEM takeoffs with all seasons and use those during the winter.
It would be a shame to sacrifice performance for 9 months, but an even bigger shame if you lose traction in snow while wearing summer rubber!

Old 09-11-2010, 07:36 AM
dwebber18
3rd Gear
Yeah I would love to find a set of wheels for winter tires, but the extra $300 for wheels and $400 for another set of tires isn't in the budget right now. Thats why I was thinking of an A/S but am still unsure.

Old 09-11-2010, 07:51 AM
Herleman
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The Continental DWs won't help much -- summer tires get really bad in even light snow and they can be marginal on cold wet pavement.

While I don't have the winter to deal with, I do travel to see my granddaughter (and daughter) and that involves the potential of winter.

I ruled out the Michelins -- probably the best choice of all -- because of cost.

I ruled out the 960s because of previous experience (they got loud on the other car).

I didn't consider the 760s much and I'm kinda feeling guilty about that.

I ruled out the DWSs becaue I tried a set and I thought they felt mushy (but they were quiet).

I finally ordered Yokohoma Avid Envigors after looking at a bunch of them in Denver on a bunch of different Minis (MTTS). Those who had them swore by them. I drove one and they felt very good for as much as I got to try them (about 2 miles).

Good luck in your choice (and if the budget permits -- buy the Michelins).

Old 09-11-2010, 08:22 AM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts
I found the best trade off for me was 2 sets of rims.....I run UHP tires for the summer/fall/spring, then then winter tires, or some folks I know, an aggressive all season for the winter....so you get lots of get up and go when it is cold. High performance all seasons are not very conducive to sloppy weather....UHP even less so....but they have the advantage if you get an unseasonably cold day, they won't suddenly loose traction, and put you in a ditch...they also seem to be a bit more durable that Summer tires.
To save a few buck on the rims, I run a small rim for the winter...it also makes the car feel very playful with the light rims, and improves the ride over frost heaves, and potholes.....
The other big plus to 2 sets of rims is that your nice rims are not exposed to the worst of the weather!! This means they stay looking nice longer!
For my UHP tires, I choose a Dark-hose....General Tires' UHP...and it is a pretty good tire...slightly soft sidewalls, but good and also pretty cheap...made by Continental Tire in France, the quality seems quite good. In the reviews at Tire-Rack, it is often compared to MAX performance summer tires, not other UHP's, so the rankings are a bit off...so just be-sure to compare it against other UHP tires!!

Old 09-12-2010, 05:10 AM
cjny
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by dwebber18
Yeah I would love to find a set of wheels for winter tires, but the extra $300 for wheels and $400 for another set of tires isn't in the budget right now. Thats why I was thinking of an A/S but am still unsure.
You are the exact consumer that all-season tires are aimed at: some winter weather, but not much, and not willing to keep a second set for just winter. The problem is you are now accustomed to a high performance summer tire. I had the same summer tire model on my previous car and doubt you will find an all-season that will match it for performance in good weather. Sorry, but all tire choices are about compromise.

One compromise you should not make, though, is using those Firehawk's (or any other summer-only tire) in ANY winter conditions, even the relatively mild Knoxville winters. Way too dangerous.

Old 09-12-2010, 05:58 AM
Speedwing
4th Gear
Michelin Pilot A/S hands down! YES They cost more .... but they last longer and the sidewalls are oh-so-stiff for very spirited cornering.

All those Bridgestone options should be replaced with the G019 Bridgestones IMO. Don't rule out the Hankook Ventus V12s as another option.

Old 09-12-2010, 11:57 AM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Originally Posted by cjny
You are the exact consumer that all-season tires are aimed at: some winter weather, but not much, and not willing to keep a second set for just winter. The problem is you are now accustomed to a high performance summer tire. I had the same summer tire model on my previous car and doubt you will find an all-season that will match it for performance in good weather. Sorry, but all tire choices are about compromise.

One compromise you should not make, though, is using those Firehawk's (or any other summer-only tire) in ANY winter conditions, even the relatively mild Knoxville winters. Way too dangerous.
That is why in an area with SOME sloppy weather, a UHP might be the right tire....Very good performance in the dry...safe when it is cold....performance is OK in some light snow...just go slow+careful.
The G019 Bridgestones are well respected in theses parts as a good sloppy weather winter all-season tire...some folks run than on their MINI's as snow tires...just not sure if you would like them in the dry weather since you are comparing them to Higher performance tires!

Old 09-12-2010, 12:13 PM
Eric_Rowland
OVERDRIVE
Received 43 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by dwebber18
Around here you can get a set of OEM takeoffs with near new tires for ~$400.

Old 09-12-2010, 03:20 PM
dwebber18
3rd Gear
Well I hate to have to go the all season route, but I really don't want to have to suffer through another winter with summer tires no matter how much I love them. Of course I've still got about 2 months before I need to decide, but I'm still thinking about a UHP summer tire and chancing it like I did last year. Seems like the Mich's would be the way to go if I want A/S tires as they seem to be well regarded on here, and were recommended by Alex. As to the plausibility of a set of stock take off, we just got a dealership about 3 months ago, so needless to say, there weren't many MINIs before then, and even fewer people looking to part with wheels locally. I have been looking though and that would be my first option if it becomes available. I just really hate to give up the fantastic dry handling for some chance of me actually having to drive in snow. They do a good job of clearing the roads around here, so its really more about getting caught in snow before it can get cleared. I also went and looked at the Mich tires and they seem to have a good design, but of course there aren't any solid patches like on my Firehawks so I'm sure I'll notice the difference. Why can't I just move back to Florida and not have to worry about snow?

Old 09-12-2010, 04:37 PM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
UHP All-seasons are available....that is what I was referring too!! They are safe, but have less sloppy weather performance....so a bit less traction than a regular all season...but still have very good summer performance!!
From tire rack....

"Ultra High Performance All-Season Tires
You want all-season versatility (including light snow traction) and are willing to trade some dry and wet traction and handling to get it.
Branded with the M+S symbol, these ultra low profile tires are designed to provide year-round traction (even in light snow) through tread designs and compounds that remain more flexible in the cold weather to help blend all-season traction with very good handling and high-speed capabilities."

A true summer Max performance tire will get hard and loose almost all traction, even when dry on a cold day..... The rubber is not made to be run in cold weather...below 40ish....as opposed to

"Ultra High Performance Summer Tires
You want a good blend of dry and wet street performance when "re-tiring" your sports coupe or sedan.
Not intended to be driven in snow or on ice, these low profile tires are designed to provide responsive handling and crisp steering response in both wet and dry conditions."
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/types/uhpas.jsp

Old 09-12-2010, 05:16 PM
MCS Fever
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Take a look at the Michelin A/S tires we had put on last week - very happy with them....

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....l=Primacy+MXV4