Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

i need tire advice (for my R53)

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2010, 09:17 AM
koolmini
OVERDRIVE
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
i need tire advice (for my R53)

i need Performance/street tire advice for my 02 built R53
i was running the Yoko ES-100's, but they are now discountinued & i need to purchase a set of tires for my R53, looking for a good handing Proformance Tire that works well with my MINI R53, any suggestions?

Old 08-25-2010, 09:47 AM
matthew-w
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hankook Ventus V12 evo was my choice based on price and this review:

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...12_evo_page_10

Old 08-25-2010, 09:50 AM
koolmini
OVERDRIVE
Old 08-25-2010, 09:51 AM
koolmini
OVERDRIVE
^^^ how do like the way the V12 handles on your Kar? (& which model kar do you have?)

Old 08-25-2010, 10:01 AM
OctaneGuy
Vendor & Moderator :: MINI Camera and Video & c3 club forum
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If you liked the ES-100's, check out the new Yokohama S.Drives. Similar pricing but superior tires to the ES-100's. I'm about to get a set myself. I've also had good luck with Nitto Neo Gens. Had two sets and then went to Nitto Invos.

Old 08-25-2010, 12:52 PM
-=gRaY rAvEn=-
Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts
Plenty of club mebers with the Hankooks. Well liked too.

I like the Nitto's in 16" too. But the S-Drives have intrigued me as well last 6 months. Are you going for 17's or 18's in the S Drives?.

Old 08-25-2010, 02:04 PM
OctaneGuy
I only run 17" wheels, so will be going with the 17s.

Originally Posted by -=gRay rAvEn=-
Plenty of club mebers with the Hankooks. Well liked too.

I like the Nitto's in 16" too. But the S-Drives have intrigued me as well last 6 months. Are you going for 17's or 18's in the S Drives?.

Old 08-25-2010, 05:13 PM
MINI33342
5th Gear
Received 37 Likes on 30 Posts
Don't forget about the BFG KDW2's

BY far the most popular tire in our club/area.

Old 08-25-2010, 05:14 PM
Grind
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by matthew-w
Hankook Ventus V12 evo was my choice based on price and this review:

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...12_evo_page_10
Agreed. Last tires were Yoko somethings; these blow them away. I chose them based on Tire Rack's reviews (and price). Wet handling isn't bad, either.

Old 08-25-2010, 05:32 PM
fishey72
5th Gear
My 215/40/17 Nitto Neogens were $400 installed OTD.

I am more of a quantity over quality guy. If it meets the same standards-ratings as the other more expensive tires, why buy more expensive?!?, it is a wear item.

Old 08-26-2010, 06:55 PM
Fatherdeth
6th Gear
Yoko S Drives FTW!!! Been running mine for a little over a year now and they are quite impressive. I'm not sure that the traction is better than the Parada Spec II's, but it's close. The ride quality however is better than the Paradas. Wet traction isn't bad either.

Old 08-31-2010, 08:38 AM
koolmini
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by Fatherdeth
Yoko S Drives FTW!!! Been running mine for a little over a year now and they are quite impressive. I'm not sure that the traction is better than the Parada Spec II's, but it's close. The ride quality however is better than the Paradas. Wet traction isn't bad either.
i was concerned that the S-Drives weren't goanna be a suitable replacement for the ES-100's, i've ran the Yoko ES-100's on the kar since 2003, but now they are discountinued & i need to find a replacement tire that handles just as well...........so are the S-Drives that tire, i don't know, but i'm about to order tires in the next couple of days & it looks like it MIGHT be the S-Drives

Old 08-31-2010, 08:44 AM
OctaneGuy
Yep, that's what I'd replace them with. The ES-100s are noiser, less grippy, had some tramlining issues over the S-Drives. I'm picking up a set today. Will let you know!

Richard

Originally Posted by koolmini
i was concerned that the S-Drives weren't goanna be a suitable replacement for the ES-100's, i've ran the Yoko ES-100's on the kar since 2003, but now they are discountinued & i need to find a replacement tire that handles just as well...........so are the S-Drives that tire, i don't know, but i'm about to order tires in the next couple of days & it looks like it MIGHT be the S-Drives

Old 08-31-2010, 08:46 AM
koolmini
OVERDRIVE
^^^i've been swaying towards the S-Drives, as well
i'm probably goanna order them from the Tirerack tonight/tommorow

Old 08-31-2010, 10:32 AM
hsautocrosser
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
"why buy more expensive?!?, it is a wear item"

Because they are the single most important influence on your handling and are the only thing keeping you in contact with the road. But come to think of it, we're just wear items too.

Old 08-31-2010, 06:39 PM
Fatherdeth
6th Gear
Koolmini and kthers contemplating buying S Drives. I'm kind of bias to Yokos, but in all honesty, for the money, S Drives are a great bang for the buck. They ride nice and the dry traction is incredible. I mean don't expect Advan performance, but it's definitely a great tire for the MINIs!!! Wet traction is okay, especially for a summer tire. Trust me, you won't be disappointed!!!

Old 08-31-2010, 06:51 PM
davisflyer
6th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by koolmini
^^^i've been swaying towards the S-Drives, as well
i'm probably goanna order them from the Tirerack tonight/tommorow
I tried the S. Drives and returned them (they had a test drive period) to the Tirerack and traded them for the Hankook V12's.

Based on my experience, the V12's are FAR superior to the S. Drives!!! Take a look at that Car and Driver comparison above, the Yokos didn't fare to well and I can confirm it. Early limit & greeted by LOUD squealing. Trust me, having driven these tires back to back, I can tell you with absolute certainty that the only thing the Yokos did better was a slightly quicker turn-in, other than that the V12's have more grip, are quieter and ride better.

Old 08-31-2010, 07:02 PM
wrh3
3rd Gear
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
I am planning on Dunlop Direzza Star Spec Z1s next week, but if not those I would try the Hankook V12s (and may still do those if the price on the Dunlops is not what I want) based on several reviews here.

I have tried Yokohamas on other cars and the only ones I was happy with were the Advan A048s on the Lotus....but tires to me are VERY subjective

[EDIT] Well tire day came and only 2 Dunlops got shipped due to an inventory error, I HAD to have tires and the other two could not be sourced locally.....so I went with the Hankook V12s in a 215/45R17. They do feel a little squirmy/soft for the first thousand or so miles but get better and they do grip, just not as much feedback as I was looking for. We'll see if that gets better, but for the money I think the V12 is a decent tire. I think the C&D tire comparison is spot on.

Last edited by wrh3; 09-22-2010 at 12:22 PM.
Old 08-31-2010, 07:05 PM
OctaneGuy
Ok got my S.Drives today and got them mounted. Here is what my previous Invo's looked like.

New S.drives

Actually got some clearance back on the wheel wells. I like how they look now. Driving has been good so far. Don't notice the noise or ride any worse than before. Traction is good. Will report more later.

Old 08-31-2010, 07:48 PM
ninjamini
5th Gear
I am looking at the Yokohama S.drives in 16" for my MCS. Anyone have any long term reviews? Noise? Handling? Drive?

Old 08-31-2010, 08:10 PM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Received 757 Likes on 618 Posts
I think the S drives are a great daily tire. But the Yoko Advans are alot better for performance. I've driven the dunlop Direzza's and didn't like them, plus the customers that have had them have had them wear out really quick.
I currenlty have BFG G force sports, and going to the S drive next on my daily driver MINI.

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | IE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more
Old 08-31-2010, 08:55 PM
Jephen19
2nd Gear
I found that once you get within 1mm to 2 or 3mm near the wear lines, wet traction is pretty much out the window. There's athother set of lines that surface BEFORE you hit the wear lines giving your tires more contact area with the road. If you look at the pattern you'll see that water doesn't have anywhere to vent except for straight back once you hit those first lines.

I got a good scare on my way to the OC from SD. A decent rainstorm made the drive wheels have a mind of their own. I'd feel a quick jolt of torque steer but I'm trying to go straight. You get a little wobble at 60 even 55 mph. Better avoid those puddles when you are about 2/3 through the life of the tire.

I rains probably 5 times out of the year here so I don't mind. I just go really slow in the wet. It's a bit scary when someone drives by you going 80 mph and you doubt they have a clue as to what kind of tires they have installed.

Old 09-01-2010, 04:29 AM
koolmini
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by WayMotorWorks
I think the S drives are a great daily tire. But the Yoko Advans are alot better for performance. I've driven the dunlop Direzza's and didn't like them, plus the customers that have had them have had them wear out really quick.
I currenlty have BFG G force sports, and going to the S drive next on my daily driver MINI.
hmmmmmmmmmmm, food for thought
what to do, i need to make a decission today, looks like i'm goanna stay with Yoko, just need to make a tire type choice now
S-Drive Vs. Advan

Old 09-01-2010, 04:31 AM
koolmini
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by OctaneGuy
Ok got my S.Drives today and got them mounted. Here is what my previous Invo's looked like.

nice, i glad that i'm not the only one who wears them down past the tread indicator

Old 09-01-2010, 06:20 PM
Fatherdeth
6th Gear
Originally Posted by davisflyer
I tried the S. Drives and returned them (they had a test drive period) to the Tirerack and traded them for the Hankook V12's.

Based on my experience, the V12's are FAR superior to the S. Drives!!! Take a look at that Car and Driver comparison above, the Yokos didn't fare to well and I can confirm it. Early limit & greeted by LOUD squealing. Trust me, having driven these tires back to back, I can tell you with absolute certainty that the only thing the Yokos did better was a slightly quicker turn-in, other than that the V12's have more grip, are quieter and ride better.
I have that issue of C&D, unfortunately sometimes I question driver intuition on tires handling. My wife also runs S Drives on her 7th gen Celica, which has a chassis that rivals the MINI's in the handling department IMO.

Quick Reply: i need tire advice (for my R53)