Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

Quality Differences...

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2003, 12:58 AM
alexp206
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was wondering if anyone could outline some of the major differences in quality vs. price on wheels. My winter tires are on their way, but come summer time I think I might replace my s-lites with a new wheel/yokohama combo. I've been browsing the selection over at tirerack, and there are a couple of different wheels I like. But having already put a nice flat spot in one of my S-lites should I perhaps look at a more quality wheel, or perhaps a specific brand?

Thanks,
Alex

Old 10-22-2003, 05:09 AM
kenchan
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
unless you're racing, lightweight wheels are usually over kill..but i use SSR's on my weekend car which I only drive around in the streets for fun. the biggest difference ive seen so far is paint quality and durability. cheap ADR wheels flake off paint
rather quickly where as properly powdercoated wheels last a long time.

I bought some cheepo SpeedEdition TK5's from alex and they look pretty good,
at least they look powercoated with no cheap flakiness and quality is about
mille miglia's. they are decent street wheels. weighs in at about 19lbs for 16x7
so not bad either. i recommend these wheels for winter and for people on a budget. they actually look pretty good on the car. :smile:

Old 10-22-2003, 07:41 AM
Ryephile
OVERDRIVE
Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
Woah, if you dented your S-lite, which are tanks, there's nothing short of going to a 16" that will be more pothole-forgiving.

Old 10-22-2003, 07:46 AM
dave
pug poo picker-upper
Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts
While the s-lites are heavy, the very stiff runflat sidewalls cause more load (say from hitting a pothole) to be transmitted to the wheel. Regular tires should help that situation, since the tire could help absorb some of the impact.

Old 10-22-2003, 08:18 AM
jerrygee
4th Gear
>>Woah, if you dented your S-lite, which are tanks, there's nothing short of going to a 16" that will be more pothole-forgiving.

I certainly agree with that statement. My S Lites are still nice and round after 9,300 miles and in the words of our future Governor of the Great State of “Cully-four-knee-a” the tires are terminated. And it sure was fun terminating them!

Old 10-22-2003, 08:39 AM
Alex@tirerack
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I agree with DID, more compliant sidewalls would be less likely to bend wheels

Alex

Old 10-22-2003, 10:43 AM
alexp206
1st Gear
Thanks for the advice. The dent occured on what was a fun backroad until I hit what must have been a hole to china. I hit it so hard I thought the engine was going to fall out. Needless to say I haven't been back on that road.

Old 10-22-2003, 04:18 PM
fueledbymetal
3rd Gear
SSR's are my favorite, but they're pricey. A relatively affordable lightweight wheel that the tirerack carries is the Kosei K1. I had a set of them on my old Miata and never had any quality issues.

Bonus Tip: You should wax painted wheels to help preserve the finish and help with ease of cleaning

Old 10-23-2003, 01:21 PM
Alex@tirerack
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
>>Bonus Tip: You should wax painted wheels to help preserve the finish and help with ease of cleaning

Yes you should! it saves clean up time!

Alex

Old 10-23-2003, 01:29 PM
minihune
OVERDRIVE - Racing Champion
Received 67 Likes on 65 Posts
>>Thanks for the advice. The dent occured on what was a fun backroad until I hit what must have been a hole to china. I hit it so hard I thought the engine was going to fall out. Needless to say I haven't been back on that road.

Sorry to hear about your encounter with the mammouth pothole. It takes quite a bit to flatten an S-Lyte.
For the rest of us-maybe a good thing to do on a road that is less traveled, is to take a dry run on it at a normal or even slow speed to study it just a bit before going over it with guns ablazing. Prevention would be preferrable to destruction in my book.

On lightweight wheels, the ultralight wheels are fairly strong but will cost alot more. Even being strong they are not indestructible. Which means if you have a misshap then you are looking at an expensive replacement. Having a more compliant sidewall like 45 or 50 series tire is a big advantage over 35 or 40 series tires. Also watch your tire pressures to make sure they are in the optimal range. Generally we get what we pay for in wheels up to about $2000 a set.