Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

Need quick and dirty sequence for pulling R56 brake pads

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2008, 06:11 PM
Halifax
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Need quick and dirty sequence for pulling R56 brake pads

Anyone up for giving a quick narrative on how to get the pads out of the R56 or JCW front brake calipers? They are substantially different from the R53 and I don't want to go about getting them out (or putting them in) gorilla style. I had the caliper off tonight and stared at the bolts with the little boots for a while before deciding that prudently is the way to proceed here.

Sure would be nice to have an R56 Haynes or Bentley manual available.

Old 07-25-2008, 05:23 AM
Capt_bj
OVERDRIVE
Received 281 Likes on 237 Posts
Not sure...

Not sure what you are doing wrong....

When I changed the pads on my 07 S it was straight forward. Two bolts to release the caliber and pull it away from the rotor. Then the pads are free. There isn't even the big spring clip holding the inside like there was on GEN1. They just 'fell out' .... very straight forward.

I don't remember 'bolts with little boots' .... that sounds more like the caps on the caliber bolts on the GEN1....the allen type bolts that I recall being changed to a standard head on the 07. But I did mine over 6 months ago...

I'm confused...got a picture?

Old 07-25-2008, 02:56 PM
Halifax
4th Gear
Thanks for the reply. Here are some pics from the net and an exploded diagram. Note the bolts that go through rubber boots. I took the caliper off the rotor ... the pads did not fall out, but I didn't do anything to help them out at all. Next post has the exploded diagram. I appreciate your having a look.

Attached Thumbnails Need quick and dirty sequence for pulling R56 brake pads-frontdsc01335.jpg   Need quick and dirty sequence for pulling R56 brake pads-topdsc01337.jpg   Need quick and dirty sequence for pulling R56 brake pads-backdsc01336.jpg  
Old 07-25-2008, 03:00 PM
Halifax
4th Gear
More collected pics.

Attached Thumbnails Need quick and dirty sequence for pulling R56 brake pads-bluep1020990.jpg   Need quick and dirty sequence for pulling R56 brake pads-in-situunknown-2.jpg   Need quick and dirty sequence for pulling R56 brake pads-r56-front-brakes.jpg  
Old 07-25-2008, 03:11 PM
Capt_bj
OVERDRIVE
not the same

well...alto it has been said that the GEN2 S is the same as the GEN1 works wrt to the front brakes

that don't look like mine.....but that may just be color and coating

I have the stock pads - front - fm the 07 sitting in a box in the garage. They are flat on the back....nothing holding them in.

looks like this

I'm digging a little deeper as your pictures are in two different colors.

If the caliber is free of the rotor you may just need to use a clamp on the piston to provide enuf room the wiggle the pads out as too thick pads are blocking things.

Those bolts hold the two sides together...if you still need room for access you can pull 'em out. Nothing special. Just torq 'em right when you put it back together...

Last edited by Capt_bj; 07-25-2008 at 03:44 PM.
Old 07-26-2008, 05:01 PM
Halifax
4th Gear
Thanks, Capt. Would you happen to have a torque spec?

Old 07-27-2008, 05:45 AM
Capt_bj
OVERDRIVE
Torq

Originally Posted by Halifax
Thanks, Capt. Would you happen to have a torque spec?
Like you, I haven't seen a book for the GEN2 yet. But my GEN1 Haynes said 22 ftlb for the guide pins and 81 for the mounting bracket bolt (front) so that seemed like a decent number to me....

nothing's fallen off or broken yet...

Old 07-27-2008, 05:57 AM
Capt_bj
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by Halifax
Thanks for the reply. Here are some pics from the net and an exploded diagram. Note the bolts that go through rubber boots. I took the caliper off the rotor ... the pads did not fall out, but I didn't do anything to help them out at all. Next post has the exploded diagram. I appreciate your having a look.
Looking at your middle picture here - looking down at the plastic spacer holding the pads apart. In my experience there was enuf room to get the pads out here. They should be free to more around once that spare is out. If there isn't enuf room I'd expect it to be close so would put a clamp on the piston side and compress the piston just a lil' bit go give a smidge more room....then remove the outer first. I mean, the gap has to be at least as wide as a new rotor....

Old 07-27-2008, 06:02 PM
Halifax
4th Gear
OK, thanks again, the project is completed. In a few days, when I change back to my street pads, I'll take some photos and put a little narrative together to go with them. It was as easy as the Capt said it would be. Thanks again!